Menu

Help with gift after cancer surgery, please?

Recently reconnected with an old high school friend who lives on the other side of the country. Yesterday, she had surgery to remove a brea*t due to cancer. Can anyone suggest an appropriate gift, other than prayers and flowers? Many thanks!

Mary

Gift cards for take-out places that would deliver to her area. It might help in her recovery if she doesn't have to worry about preparing food, etc.

Depending on how close you are to her, inspirational books, quotes, etc. about overcoming cancer might help lift her spirits. Do you know if she's going to have to undergo any further treatments (chemo or radiation)? If so, then some nice reading or relaxing music that she could listen to during treatments might be nice.

Does she have a hobby? Crafts might help to keep her busy, but still easy enough to do during recovery.

Is she going to undergo chemo and lose her hair? If she's comfortable ordering things on the internet, consider a gift certificate to headcovers.com. The hats sold there are better than the ones in stores, because they cover the whole head. They have a great selection and a lot of cute styles. I got a lot there when I went through this.

Thanks ladies! Keep the ideas coming, please?

I have little knowledge of the details since her husband is refusing to share information (he is smothering her, still) but she did have one breast removed in the surgery and the cancer was limited to the duct not in the lymph glands, I think.

So, I just don't know what the next steps are....need to educate myself!

Mary

She might not know herself what is next yet. Usually they don't start chemo until 6 or so weeks after surgery.

As of 4 years ago, most young people diagnosed with breast cancer (on a young survivor's bulletin board) did go through chemo, and the chemo is the type where you lose your hair. How old is she? Chemo will be more likely if she is pre-menopausal. I don't know what the typical treatment is for older women. Breastcancer.org is a great resource.

This may be kind of goofy, but how about a present that has to be redeemed in the future, and point out that you have faith that she will be there to redeem it. Perhaps a cheese of the month for 12 months (this is the only lame example I can come up with. Tickets to something happening in December?

Just thought that she might be seriously thinking of her longevity and might need a show of faith.

Lara

Magazines

If she likes to shop online, an internet gift card

Maybe set up one of those monthly delivery systems, like fruit. I think Harry & David do those (or should it be does these?)

Is she a girly girl? How about some nail polish, maybe some pedicure gifts

If you are unsure if she's having more tx, chemo or radiation, I would hold off on lotions and such. When I had my radiation I could only use one kind of medicinal lotion so it wouldn't interfere with tx.

A basket of DVDs

A sketch pad or journal with some nice pencils or pens

I love the idea of a basket of books, audio CDs, magazines, and a yummy smelling candle.

I'm not sure if she's starting radiation/chemo yet but if she has maybe a tub of aquaphor and Burts Bees lip balms in the basket as well. Any natural skin care products are great... CeraVe wash and lotion as well.

Food and flowers can be kind of iffy if she's on any neutropenic precautions, has mouth ulcers, no appetite, etc....

Edited by cjbeach
typo

WOW! Such superb suggestions - I am totally inspired. Love all of them, really. Books, CDs, cards, food, headcovers, certificates, watergun (I get that!), great pillow to make (need to find a sewer or online ready made...) and the thoughtfulness from each of you. Many thanks!!! Your help is very much appreciated. What a wonderful community the "Hive" is!

Mary

• 2 years later...