Menu

WWYD - difficult math concept (negative numbers)

Night Elf

I posted not too long ago asking for help with dd12 and negative numbers. I followed all the suggestions and she's still feeling quite frustrated. She's using Math-U-See pre-Algebra. She completed the levels before this one with no major difficulties.

She doesn't want to switch programs but the lessons continue using negative numbers, obviously. We've repeated the beginning lessons that explain the concept. She just isn't getting it. And I'm okay with that. She isn't ready for this concept. But what do I do until she is ready? I can't move foward in this program, and we've already repeated the former lessons. I don't want to repurchase the last level again because she really did master that material.

I've gone around and around this, and every time we come across a problem that requires her to add/subtract/multiply/divide negative numbers, she starts off with a great attitude and then ends up with tears in her eyes. What a mess.

Suggestions and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! I am thinking we may need to get a new program that presents this concept differently?

Have you tried Key to Algebra book 1? It's all about negative numbers. I'm not talking about switching what you use for math, just using it for this topic until she gets it.

If she won't feel insulted by it, you can have her watch the Cyberchase episode about negative numbers.

Khan Academy has two video clips for negative numbers

http://khanexercises.appspot.com/video?v=C38B33ZywWs adding&subtracting with negative numbers

http://khanexercises.appspot.com/video?v=d8lP5tR2R3Q multiplying&dividing with negative numbers

Edited by AngieW in Texas

Elf--I don't know what all you tried, but have you tried an algebra mat? At least that's what the BJU math calls it. I made one myself. You just take a sheet of construction paper (pick a color, say black) and tape over half of it with another color (I used red) to create a page that is half black, half red. Now label one side with a positive sign, the other with a negative, and slide the whole thing in a page protector. We used it with tokens (all the same color) to physically DO the computation. So if you want to show -3 + 4 you would put down 3 tokens on the negative side, 4 tokens on the positive side, and remove the pieces that balance. You just keep working through problems like that, physically doing it, till they GET why they subtract or add.

http://books.google.com/books?id=zzCIAAAACAAJ&dq=Theoni+Pappas&source=an&hl=en&ei=x9HYS-uABY3K8wTT7rGLBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=13&ved=0CDUQ6AEwDA Theoni Pappas is my hero. Get a copy of Penrose the Mathematical Cat and watch the ideas click into place. I own several of her books and dd is mathy but these helped so very much with abstractions.

http://www.livingmath.net/Reviews/MathCurriculaSupplements/ElementarytoPreAlg/HandsOnEquations/tabid/878/language/en-US/Default.aspx

I have not used hands on equations but I really want to! This review says it has negative numbers.

My ds is younger but I have noticed that with some things he just needs a little time to process it so I switch gears, do something different for a while, and then when we come back to it he understands better.

Have you tried a number line where you have a 0 in the middle, positive numbers to one side and negative numbers on the other?

You could have her move an object up and down the number line.

Some other ideas that helped me:

-1-3=

with this sort of problem the first negative jumps over the first number and becomes a plus sign. Since the first number was negative the answer would be negative.

-2+3=

since there is already a plus sign the - can't jump the two instead the 2 and 3 trade places and it becomes 3-2.

I don't know where she is stuck but these ideas helped me.:001_smile:

I posted not too long ago asking for help with dd12 and negative numbers. I followed all the suggestions and she's still feeling quite frustrated. She's using Math-U-See pre-Algebra. She completed the levels before this one with no major difficulties.

She doesn't want to switch programs but the lessons continue using negative numbers, obviously. We've repeated the beginning lessons that explain the concept. She just isn't getting it. And I'm okay with that. She isn't ready for this concept. But what do I do until she is ready? I can't move foward in this program, and we've already repeated the former lessons. I don't want to repurchase the last level again because she really did master that material.

I've gone around and around this, and every time we come across a problem that requires her to add/subtract/multiply/divide negative numbers, she starts off with a great attitude and then ends up with tears in her eyes. What a mess.

Suggestions and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! I am thinking we may need to get a new program that presents this concept differently?

I gave my dd a number line and taught it as the differences between the two numbers. Then it clicked, and she did fine.

Thank you for more leads to follow! DH and I went to Barnes & Noble this evening and picked out a math skills workbook that has integer problems along with basic skills for review. The presentation is fun, like puzzles, which she enjoys. This will give me a chance to look at the ideas you've given me to see if I can help this concept click in her head!

We have a cool number line that we got in the Math in a Nutshell Algebra box. It spans from -20 to 20. We've used that along with the thermometer idea, and the MUS blocks. So far, the visuals aren't helping. I think she is just getting hung up on the signs on the paper. We'll keep plugging along though.

As for the many math programs, I meant over the past 9 years of homeschooling. This is the first time she's encountered negative numbers though, so it isn't a gap in her skills. It's just a new skill that she doesn't seem to be getting easily. However, she remembers our curriculum hopping and she is worried we'll hop into something else. This year has been great because of her curriculum. We haven't changed anything and she is doing well with the consistency. Shame on me for curriculum hopping so much throughout the years.

Ok, off to start researching these things. I'm just tired because I'm also trying to figure out how to teach my ds13 study skills. Now that is a gap that I am back peddling to remedy! But that is another post. :)

Ok I can NOT find a good link to show you, but there is a scale called an algebra scale that you can buy at any teachers supply store. I have heard RAVES about this thing! It is AMAZING at showing kids all about negative numbers! This (pathetic) link is all I could find, I am sorry. Check out a teacher supply store and ask them about it! I am getting this for my dd next year for sure!!!!!