Menu

Our library has 9 copies

of a book we're currently reading. Except the one we've got, they're all checked in. No holds, no missing, no damages. I can't renew mine, though, because I've already renewed it twice.

I realize I can request it again, on another card, from another branch. I can even go in person & pick up another copy tomorrow. But w/ my ankle messed up, it's such a hassle. Well...it's a hassle & a waste of gas anyway, but now it's complicated.

And maybe I can call in the morning & they'll renew it manually. Maybe. But that means I have to remember to call, lol, when I'd really like to deal w/ it now.

I really want to buy the book, lol, & I've been doing such a good job resisting, but the public library sends me over the edge sometimes. ;) :D

And maybe I can call in the morning & they'll renew it manually. Maybe. But that means I have to remember to call, lol, when I'd really like to deal w/ it now.

It's morning - call them. Our library has let me renew over the phone before, when the online thing wouldn't let me - they have the ability to over-ride, and if you explained your situation [you sprained it, right?] then they'll prolly renew it for you. :)

eta: don't mention time/gas to them -- just tell them that you have a sprained ankle and can't drive.

My local branch isn't computerized. I can request a book online, but I can't renew it. I'd have to turn it in, place a new online hold, and wait for it to come in...and there's no real rhyme or reason to how long that takes.

Or I can drive twenty minutes to some other branch to check it out, and renew it online through them. :glare:

Fortunately, the non-computerized branch is lax about fines.

I would agree -- call. The computer is not set up to sort out that sort of info. We have a renew max of 5, and then the item has to come in on the shelf.

This allows people to find items by just browsing, and it ensures the library that the item is not lost and the person is not just avoiding paying for it.

I work at a library. I think I'm one of the more flexible staff. Our computer system will renew books only once, although I could go in and manually change your Due Date.

I would not for certain say that I would renew your book over the telephone--but I probably wouldn't, and the majority of our staff would not.

For me, it would depend on a number of things. Do they know you by name--if you call, will they know who you are? I would be much more likely to change the due date for a regular patron whom I know.

If you have frequent late books, if you are flaky and lose books, if you have wildly disruptive kids--I would be less likely to do this.

What I would suggest: Call during what would be a "slow" time. Don't call at story hour, don't call after school. Half an hour after opening might be good. If it's a children's book and you know the children's librarian, ask for her (him). Otherwise, ask to speak to the branch manager. Tell them you are a regular patron, you know this is above the service they provide, and that you are asking a special favor. Tell them you have already renewed once, that there are 8 other copies on the shelf--you have injured your ankle, it's difficult to get around, and you would appreciate it if there were ANY way that they could change the Due Date for you in their computer system.

Honestly. I think some of our staff doesn't even know how to do this on the computer, so it's not a matter of them being mean or not caring. It might even depend if there was just a staff meeting on library procedures. You would not believe some of the things that patrons expect, and after a while, it's very easy to turn down a lot of requests.

First, I called, the lady was so sweet--she renewed it & another one that was due today so I wouldn't have to send dh out for just that one.

Kristine--I don't think our library works much like yours. Dh went to pick up some books for me recently, & the librarian did comment that I'm usually there to pick them up with the kids, but I guarantee you they wouldn't know my name. We live in a huge city w/ more than 10 branches, & the librarians (at my branch) tend to be...not the kind you get to know. Disengaged? The whole branch is...I'd guess between 2 & 3k feet. It's SMALL. They've never heard of Library Elf. The children's librarians don't know classic children's lit. Story time is 3 kids.

I love libraries, but every branch I've been in here makes me...well, I don't like them. But I've never lost anything, my fines have stayed under $5 for the last 3 yrs (the whole time we've been here), & the kids are good. They barely *fit* in the library, but they're good, lol.

I'm feeling really spoiled by our library system now. I'm not sure what our maximum renewal is...but I can tell you that my ds has a book that he's renewed 69 times. :-) He's misplaced it and should just tell them it's lost, but he has high hopes of finding it. Anyway, the only things we can't renew online are *new* dvds or books that have hold requests.

I'm glad that your librarian was helpful!