Menu

Planning high school today. My. head. hurts.

Hang in there. This board was there for me all the way through and it will be there for you! I had major doubts that we could do this... don't we all? :grouphug:

You can do this, your children can succeed and reach their dreams through homeschooling.

The best advice I received at my critical point of self doubt was from a friend who used a farming analogy....she implored me not to plow the field before the harvest.

Good advice. Stay the course.

It is hard. I am trying to figure out a plan for number three. Numbers one and two were relatively easy for me because they were going to go to liberal arts programs. Not number three- she is likely to be a technical major so everything is different including that she doesn't want to read the kind of books everyone else in the family reads and certainly not the classics. Now I am not going to let her get away with skipping all the classics but then I am also having to think what is really necessary for her versus what I did for the others. For my first, I just had him read the list in the WTM. The whole list (or almost everything) and he did it and learned a lot. Just handing this one a list won't work.

You have my complete sympathy and empathy.

And, don't laugh, but you know what I fear most? Getting it done with the preschoolers around(18 mo, 3, and 5). :001_huh:

The kids at the top and the bottom are both all-consuming, *AND* they want to be fed and have clean underwear! The nerve.

The reading-load is terrifying. I'm going to have to stay up until midnight and get up in the dark to get it all done.

I can do this....I can do this.....I can do this.....

I was feeling the same way this time last year, but I can tell you that not only did we survive the 1st year of high school, but I am amazed at how well it went. My older dd stepped up to the plate and really impressed me with all of her hard work. Not to mention all of the wonderful advice gleaned from these forums over the years. I am a new poster, but I have been reading these boards for years and they have helped me through some scary times. So, long story short, you can do it! :)

Y'know what, Jo? I started homeschooling with one in 9th grade, one in K, and one that was still in public school.

I didn't have ds write enough, I didn't read all the books I assigned him, I didn't even discuss some of what we did--and he's fine. He's in college, he made 4 A's and 2 B's last semester and is on track to do the same, he isn't fearful of finding out information on his own, and he's actually doing the work and not skating thru college.

You can do this. You can even make mistakes in doing this. It will be alright. Do your best. You'll be fine, and so will your kids.

Big Smiles and hugs to you!

Oh, and some things that worked well for us, regarding getting the undies clean and having time for everyone--

I assigned chores to my high schooler as part of his day. So I knew the floors would be swept, the garbage taken out around the house, the bathrooms cleaned, and the towels washed (those were my fav's to assign--he also dumped the kitty box--boy, do I miss him! lol). He considered this "payment" for his homeschooling.

I also got dd used to working on things independently, and waiting her turn if I needed to discuss something with ds. I had ds read first thing (after devotions, which he did independently), which gave me time to do Saxon math with dd. Then I'd give her a chore and let her play. Now, I only had two to juggle, and she was pretty on top of things when she was 5, but you can train your kiddos to play quietly. I'd do a subject with ds, then set him free to work on science or something he could do pretty much on his own. (We used Apologia Bio, which is written to the student, and Omnibus 1 that year, which has a lot to keep them busy.)

I went back and forth between them, and it really wasn't that bad.

Like I said, if someone completely new can do it, so can you, with your great attitude and wonderful experience.

Go for it, girl! Step boldly into the High School World!

Now excuse me while I change the litter box...

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
And, don't laugh, but you know what I fear most? Getting it done with the preschoolers around(18 mo, 3, and 5). :001_huh:

The kids at the top and the bottom are both all-consuming, *AND* they want to be fed and have clean underwear! The nerve.

The reading-load is terrifying. I'm going to have to stay up until midnight and get up in the dark to get it all done.

:lol::lol::lol: I can laugh because that is me! My oldest started high school last year and my youngest 3 were 18 months (adopted only 7 months prior so a very young 18 months), 2 1/2 and 6 (just starting Kindergarten). It's been a very interesting school year;) I agree, they have a lot of nerve to want to be fed, have their diapers changed, etc:lol:

Jo,

In one sense, it's just doing the next thing -- taking one more step from 8th grade to ninth. But, yes, in the big picture, it counts! :tongue_smilie: There are a thousand thoughts, hopes, doubts, dreams, anxieties that will pass through your mind from now until . . . . hmm. I'm not sure when it stops.

And as for practically, how you will get everything done? Well, you (probably) won't. Some weeks here, school goes like clockwork, but the house is dusty. Then I find I'm on top of my household and cooking, but I didn't get dss' Latin or writing. And some weeks are spent on errands and doctors/dental appointments, with schooling everywhere in between. In the end, looking at all the weeks together, there is usually a good balance.

But I'm betting that you've been doing the dance this long, you'll just do it a bit faster now. ;)

FWIW, every year my heart sinks when I see on paper everything we've got to do. I lament to dh that I just don't know how I'm going to get it all done. But, I pray and pray and give it to the Lord. And every year, He provides and sovereignly shows me how to work out our schedule.

So, lots and lots of encouragement to you.

Lisa, off to make a thunder cake for ds5 (Patricia Polacco).

....and I know it will only get harder. I'm scared and feeling wholly unprepared for the responsibility. But, I really appreciate all the resources you share on this board.

Just thought I'd share. Now, I'll go put on my big girl pants and get back to work. ;)

Jo

But, Jo, you're not Battlemaiden for nothing!

....and I know it will only get harder. I'm scared and feeling wholly unprepared for the responsibility. But, I really appreciate all the resources you share on this board.

Just thought I'd share. Now, I'll go put on my big girl pants and get back to work. ;)

Jo

One step at a time...deep cleansing breaths...and try to enjoy the ride. High School can be enjoyable and fun! It is the icing on the cake...the pinnacle of your hs journey. Enjoy your teen. It is a lot of responsibility...but the end product is quite beautiful

~~Faithe

It may turn out to be a lot easier than you think, Battlemaiden.

I remember, a few years ago, feeling so worried about high school. I sat down with my daughter the summer before 8th grade, and had a big talk about credits and requirements and all that, and both of us felt like crying, lol. But fast forward 9 mos., and she was ready to go. And she took off like a rocket! And on her own! That was a year ago, and I pretty much just watch her go now. She lets me know what she needs, in terms of materials or help, and I do my best to provide. Dh has told me he wants to send her to college a year early, and a friend of mine who teaches college said she is ready now. Knowing this a few years ago would really have lowered my stress level. I think lots of other moms have felt the same way.

I think sometimes we overestimate our roles. Teen years, at least for some parents, are really a joyful time (I've read some stories about them here). The kids don't need a lot of physical help, they've got basic academic skills down, and you can really deepen your emotional connection and sharpen your intellectual skills against one another (in a positive way, lol).

After my husband, I feel like my daughter is the greatest gift I ever received. I learn so much from her, and am so grateful to know her. I feel like I've been looking forward to her teen years ever since she was born, and they are not only everything I hoped they would be, but much more!:)

You may have the same experience!:grouphug:

Edited by jld
added a comma

:grouphug:I do think that this is a really difficult balance. 1-4 years ago was probably the hardest for me as far as homeschooling. I felt like I'd missed someone every single day. My older 2 wanted to stay up late and talk and the younger 2 were up early and ready to go. Thankfully the middle one is low-maintenence! The needs of the older kids are still demanding, just very different. More emotional than physical. This year has felt (despite all of the hubabaloo) a LOT easier with a 1rst, 4th and 9th grader. For one, everyone is reading.

I would make use of lots of CD's- there are tons of memory CD's, and SOTW, etc. lots of art supplies. And schedule time with the older ones playing with the littles. The big problem I found with high school is the amount of time it all takes, there just isn't tons of "extra" time to schedule with the other kids. But, have the kids help with cooking, laundry, etc. EVen the 18mth old can carry clothes to a dresser to put them away. Serving each other in a large family is teaching a great work ethic.

I finally gave up on reading everything my older kids were. I just had to trust the lists, rely on teachers manuals and trust that it was good enough.

You can do it!

Yes, after graduating two daughters from high school, I am now in the position of designing high school for the classical Christian school where I teach. It's a daunting task, considering that I have 20 very different eighth graders in that first class! I think I prefer planning exactly what my one daughter-at-a-time needed to meet her special needs. :)

You can do this...You can do this...You can do this...

I have and I am now at the point where my kids are starting to move out the other end. It is somewhat weird (see my post on my blog about graduated homeschoolers...sigh)

Anyway, High School is a bitter sweet time...try and enjoy the new young adult in your home. It is SO MUCH MORE than just academics. It is relational....and these young people are thinking, interesting creatures with ideas and thoughts and creativity. Tie as many strings as you can...try to make memories...try not to stress too much. Choose battles carefully. Try to see what makes your older child tick. Make sure they are extremely physically active...it helps with concentration.

Make sure you come up for air to enjoy the roses.

Make a plan....be flexible but make sure their is accountability. Don't think that online courses will do that for you...You still have to check. A job unchecked is a job undone.

Try to remember that in High School, homeschooling can be the most condusive way to follow passions, dig deep, learn HOW to learn and then convey those new ideas.

It is easier and harder.

You are dealing with LOTS of hormones...keep that in mind...Yours and theirs. :D

This board is a wonderful place for support, but it can also make you feel unsure about your choices VERy easily and cause you to compare your homeschool, tennager, teaching methods, and decisions with those other high producing Mammas. Try to keep in mind you are working with your children and their needs and strong points as well as weak points. You can't focus on Maths, and sciences, and literature, and history and computer programming and music and art and .....

If your child is going to major in Music....and spend 4 hours a day practicing and studying Theory...Then Algebra 1,2 and Geometry may be enough math...and a textbook for history and science may have to suffice. I am not saying to skimp...but you can't possibly do IT ALL. No one can...and remember, what you read here is usually the good to best days....or the worst of the worst days. Most are somewhere in between.

I have BTDT 3 times now and am in the midst of my 4th go round....and it is new all the time. I always feel that little nagging in the back of my mind that says "Maybe they would do better in the public school"...but, I don't REALLY believe that. IO can't offer all the extras the school can...but I can offer the extras MY child needs ...and I can tailor my child's education to my child....the PS CAN"T do that.

It is a daunting task....but so is anything that is worth while.

~~Faithe

Ok, somebody help this city slicker out! What does this mean? Aren't you supposed to use the plow before you can harvest? hmmmm ..... :lol:

You plough before you plant and perhaps after the harvest, but not while the crop is still growing in the field. Plough is the official Canadian spelling, and for the most part I spell Canadian out of habit, but not completely because I've lived in the States so long.