Menu

Help me find big, cheap, sturdy bookcases, please!

I have two giant Grevback bookcases from Ikea in my schoolroom right now (along with some other shelves, but those aren't causing me any problems right now). They were pretty cheap ($80 each, and they're over 3 feet wide and 6 feet tall), and they look nice. Well, they did look nice, until they started collapsing. The shelves first started falling down not long after we got them (we've had them maybe 2 years now), but we managed to limp along awhile longer by getting new brackets. They've completely collapsed again, though, and I'm pretty much over it. Turns out, the maximum weight on each shelf is 44 pounds. I don't know exactly how much weight we put on them, but, well, it's more than that. Apparently these are book shelves designed for hollow books.

So...who has wonderful bookcases that cost almost nothing? Or as close to that as possible? I've scoured Craigslist a bunch of times, but haven't had any luck yet. I want them to be tall, because I need to fit a ton of books on this wall. I don't care that much how they look, although looking nice wouldn't hurt. And they need to sit up off the floor a bit so they don't cover the vents (this is what rules out the Expedit shelving at Ikea). Any ideas?

He's not especially handy, but he's a fast learner :) ....I don't think that would work with our current collapsing shelves, though...it's hard to explain, but it's just sort of bowing in all directions. It's a combination of the shelves bowing under the pressure of the weight and then the brackets not being long enough and the sides of the shelf being very flimsy. It actually might be possible to somehow extend the brackets from underneath somehow...like add some support going across...I'm not sure. I need to go look at them again.

We got solid oak bookcases at the unfinished furniture store. They weren't dirt cheap, but we picked the tall ones - 7'. Some with cabinets below, others all shelves. We did add supports, though the shelves seem sturdy so far. (4yrs.) And since they came unfinished, we picked the color to match our rooms. They weigh a ton! The store also had some S. American hardwoods.

Maybe something like this near you?

They are very sturdy, and pretty inexpensive. I like the brown-black and birch colors.

I think I initially rejected the Billy shelves because they look like they sit on the floor, but I just checked the picture again, and it looks like maybe you can leave off the little piece on the bottom front and there'd be a gap?

We got solid oak bookcases at the unfinished furniture store. They weren't dirt cheap, but we picked the tall ones - 7'. Some with cabinets below, others all shelves. We did add supports, though the shelves seem sturdy so far. (4yrs.) And since they came unfinished, we picked the color to match our rooms. They weigh a ton! The store also had some S. American hardwoods.

Maybe something like this near you?

Hmm...good idea. I'm not sure--I'll check around!

I know a lot of people like Billy cases from IKEA, but the shelves on mine are saggy.

I have LACK cases with books two deep, and they are in excellent shape.

The LACK cases have the right on the floor issue that we keep running into. It becomes a big problem when you tend to line your entire room with shelves, like I seem to.

Guest cattchels

Check around thrift stores in your area. There have been quite a few occasions when I have come across a really nice wooden bookshelf that I would have totally bought if I actually had a need for another one.

I'm a DIYer and frugal so if it's not from a thrift store or craigslist, we try to make it ourselves. Recently discovered the Knock off Wood BLOG and Ana makes some awesome, awesome PB-like stuff. She had many plans on her site if you own a good saw! This is a link to the bookshelf plans on her site.

http://www.knock-offwood.com/search/label/bookshelves

Here's what I'm thinking of doing in our classroom. We need more shelves and more desk space so I want the shelves to not touch the floor. My SIL had shelves made from 2"x10"x 10ft long that were supported by cement cinder blocks the children painted. I'm thinking of doing the same thing only making the bottom shelf be twice as deep and make it a desk, with the shelves above it. SO basically have two-3 towers of cinder blocks (end middle end depending on the length of the wall) with shelves in between the blocks.

I hope this makes sense

Lara