Menu

Benefits of WWE for pre-teens

elegantlion

We started on WWE a few months ago. We're going back to do create some writing foundations. I was initially hesitant but the program has some added benefits.

1. My ds is 12. We tend to be very casual in the classroom. He balked when I asked him to narrate back to me in complete sentences. Stubbornness is a family trait. :D He is now using complete sentences. I found it to be a wonderful exercise in obedience.

2. After a few weeks using the Strong Fundamentals book, I broke down on bought the level 3 workbook. I took the student pages out (psst! they're perforated) and bound them at the top, so he could write without hindrance. He thanked me. :svengo: I can not remember the last time he thanked me when I handed him a book.

3. He hasn't said anything, but I think he likes the paper. I'm a paper nut and I can see the same look in face and actions as when I find a really neat paper.

4. His handwriting has improved. I believe it has something to do with writing on nicer paper. I thought he'd balk at writing on dotted line paper, but it has helped. Cheap notebook paper doesn't make you want to write nicely, this workbook has done the trick.

Just wanted to share my experience. :D

I just started using WWE 3 w/my ds 11/dd10 and wished I had started sooner. It's been on my shelf waiting for my dd6. I've been struggling w/a writing program trying to find one to work (CW, WS, R&S, VIE), and while waiting for all of my MCT material to arrive, I tried WWE and have been pleasantly surprised. Enough so to keep up w/it for a while. I'm just kicking myself for not starting sooner.

Laura

I just started using WWE 3 w/my ds 11/dd10 and wished I had started sooner. It's been on my shelf waiting for my dd6. I've been struggling w/a writing program trying to find one to work (CW, WS, R&S, VIE), and while waiting for all of my MCT material to arrive, I tried WWE and have been pleasantly surprised. Enough so to keep up w/it for a while. I'm just kicking myself for not starting sooner.

Laura

You can kick me while you're at it. We tried several writing programs this year too, felt like alphabet soup with all the abbreviations.

Paula, are you doing the outlining that SWB says to do in other subject areas (history, science) also, or just WWE? I bought WWE3 to do w/dd11, but I haven't started it, because I thought we'd just do dictation twice a week, plus an outline once a week and a summary once a week. Your post is making me rethink that plan, though.

Thanks!

Paula, are you doing the outlining that SWB says to do in other subject areas (history, science) also, or just WWE? I bought WWE3 to do w/dd11, but I haven't started it, because I thought we'd just do dictation twice a week, plus an outline once a week and a summary once a week. Your post is making me rethink that plan, though.

Thanks!

At this point no. He is also a delayed reader so all history readings are done by me. We simply read and discuss. He does read his science and the book has built in quizzes, which I use.

We've done some outlining in the past so he knows how. However, after careful examination and a few tantrums (my own!) I realized we needed to strip our writing program to the core and start a new foundation.

We started on WWE a few months ago. We're going back to do create some writing foundations. I was initially hesitant but the program has some added benefits.

1. My ds is 12. We tend to be very casual in the classroom. He balked when I asked him to narrate back to me in complete sentences. Stubbornness is a family trait. :D He is now using complete sentences. I found it to be a wonderful exercise in obedience.

2. After a few weeks using the Strong Fundamentals book, I broke down on bought the level 3 workbook. I took the student pages out (psst! they're perforated) and bound them at the top, so he could write without hindrance. He thanked me. :svengo: I can not remember the last time he thanked me when I handed him a book.

3. He hasn't said anything, but I think he likes the paper. I'm a paper nut and I can see the same look in face and actions as when I find a really neat paper.

4. His handwriting has improved. I believe it has something to do with writing on nicer paper. I thought he'd balk at writing on dotted line paper, but it has helped. Cheap notebook paper doesn't make you want to write nicely, this workbook has done the trick.

Just wanted to share my experience. :D

I am doing a similar thing with my 11yo - working through Strong Fundamentals (without workbook at this stage). I'm finding it really good and very successful in developing her ability in dictation and writing down short narrations etc. I took her right from the start of Year 1. She even likes it :)

with my DS 12 and DD 10. I can't even tell you how much their writing has improved. I really don't understand how it works, but it does. They both just wrote wonderful essays on The Industrial Revolution and I am telling you, it is because of WWE. I have WWE 4 in the wings waiting. They both like it too. I feel like an advertisement. I have kids doing almost every level and I love it. I think I sold 3 or 4 sets at the Midwest Convention just standing there talking to other moms. :D Anyway, totally worth it for even older kids in my opinion.

I am doing a similar thing with my 11yo - working through Strong Fundamentals (without workbook at this stage). I'm finding it really good and very successful in developing her ability in dictation and writing down short narrations etc. I took her right from the start of Year 1. She even likes it :)

Isn't it nice to find something so refreshing.

with my DS 12 and DD 10. I can't even tell you how much their writing has improved. I really don't understand how it works, but it does. They both just wrote wonderful essays on The Industrial Revolution and I am telling you, it is because of WWE. I have WWE 4 in the wings waiting. They both like it too. I feel like an advertisement. I have kids doing almost every level and I love it. I think I sold 3 or 4 sets at the Midwest Convention just standing there talking to other moms. :D Anyway, totally worth it for even older kids in my opinion.

Thank you for sharing. It's good to hear such results.

Ok - I bought WWE Strong Fundamentals. Now what? I am kind of floundering not sure where to start with dd 10. DS7 will start in wkbk 1, but I'm totally at a loss with dd. I don't want to start with 1, I'm sure it would be too easy for her... 2 as well, so maybe 3??? or 4??? Advice would be helpful. She needs help. Her handwriting is beautiful, her actual writing style needs work. She has no internal writers voice. Any advice would be helpful

Thanks,

JoAnne

When we started I used the assessments in Strong Fundamentals as a guide for where to start each child. You can also start in the middle of a level if they are in between.

I agree with the others - this program works! There are days when I think, "This seems to easy, is this really getting us where we need to go writing wise? Do I need to add something?" Then one of the kids will complete write a summary or narration from literature or history and I will be amazed at the quality. I go back and listen to SWB's writing lectures to remind myself why the program is structured this way and to keep myself from piling on other curriculum that we don't need.

WWE is one of my favorite homeschool programs.

Ok - I bought WWE Strong Fundamentals. Now what? I am kind of floundering not sure where to start with dd 10. DS7 will start in wkbk 1, but I'm totally at a loss with dd. I don't want to start with 1, I'm sure it would be too easy for her... 2 as well, so maybe 3??? or 4??? Advice would be helpful. She needs help. Her handwriting is beautiful, her actual writing style needs work. She has no internal writers voice. Any advice would be helpful

Thanks,

JoAnne

Agree with Beach Mom, use maybe the end week for level 2 for a week and see how your dd handles it. If it's good move into week 1 of level 3. If not, move back in level 2.

If you haven't already listened to the SWB mp3, I would highly recommend doing that as well. It really helped me understand more of the reasoning behind what looks like a simple process. It also helped me get over the anguish of putting my middle school child into a writing program originally designed for early elementary.

For those of you starting an older pre-teen in the program that started from the beginning at book one, how did you do it? I know book one will be easy, but I want ds to have a gentle intro to writing as he has not done much at all (learning delays). How many lessons is is feasible to do in a day and how quicky could you get through the first two or three books and get up to speed? Do you think a child could do these books in grade 6/7 and then be able to move on and catch up lost ground from there?

Is it a good investment of time to work your way through these considering the age? I thought I saw somewhere that SWB said to consider them levels and not grades? I'm really interested in doing this, but I need a pep talk from someone that has done it!

For those of you starting an older pre-teen in the program that started from the beginning at book one, how did you do it? I know book one will be easy, but I want ds to have a gentle intro to writing as he has not done much at all (learning delays). How many lessons is is feasible to do in a day and how quicky could you get through the first two or three books and get up to speed? Do you think a child could do these books in grade 6/7 and then be able to move on and catch up lost ground from there?

Is it a good investment of time to work your way through these considering the age? I thought I saw somewhere that SWB said to consider them levels and not grades? I'm really interested in doing this, but I need a pep talk from someone that has done it!

I was prepared to do that, start at level 1. However with the Strong Fundamentals book I could try out the certain levels before committing to the workbook. If you do a search you will see that many people only use the teacher's book and pick their own models. I had planned on doing that. The teacher's book did help me pinpoint where ds would fit best into the WWE program. I'm glad I went ahead and bought the workbook though.

It depends on your child on how quickly you can get through the program. There are four scheduled days per week. We did a few weeks at level 2 from the teacher book and jumped around before I felt comfortable starting him at level 3.

Sorry it that is jumbled, I'm fighting the affects of cold medicine. :glare:

I love WWE. My Dd is just about to finish WWE2. It's so simple, but challenging. I also really like the reading selections, it's really gotten Dd interested in reading the entire books just from small passages in the workbook. I also have to wonder if kids like this program because they know what to expect? I mean, they really have to listen or read carefully.

Anyway, just wanted to say that we are big fans too.

So if you use WWE for an older pre-teen, what else are you using for LA? This is a new awakening for me. I thought it was too late for my older ones to benefit from this program. But after stumbling upon this thread, I am beginning to have hope again. Please tell me what you are using with WWE.

We are also just about done with WWE 3. I hesitated to use it thinking my kids were too "old" at 10 and 12 (just turned 13), but I am so glad I did. It has done wonders for their writing. I am going to continue on to WWE 4 next school year.

Lesley

So if you use WWE for an older pre-teen, what else are you using for LA? This is a new awakening for me. I thought it was too late for my older ones to benefit from this program. But after stumbling upon this thread, I am beginning to have hope again. Please tell me what you are using with WWE.

Along with WWE, my 11yo is doing Abeka Language for grammar (will go on to R&S when finished current book), and Spelling Matters. This is enough for her as we write across the curriculum as well.

HTH

Hurray! So glad to hear of the success of WWE and older kiddos....I plan to use this as well with my rising 5th and 3rd grade boys coming out of a year of public school.

I LOVE the Plan for Writing Mp3's as well....lots of specific direction for the teacher regarding how to do dictation and narration, how to test where to place the child in the program, when to start logic stage exercises, etc. Just fantabulous. SWB really holds your hand through the process.

I am also teaching a friend's 15 yo son who has zero writing skills. I have considered doing a crash course of copywork, dictation and narration for a bit, then moving on to logic stage outlining and summary work. I'm hoping to get the teachers book to guide me with that....I'm thinking the workbooks might send him over the edge :D

peace.

cindy