Menu

Ordering Duke TIP King Arthur study questions

swimmermom3

Yep, that's the one! We're just starting on the Ancient Egyptian World. I got my library to buy not one but two sets, so I'm in heaven!
These are nice books, and very readable. Watch the December OUP sale; I got both this and the medieval/early modern set for a tremendous discount.

I love all the discussion on this thread since I have an avid reader and am looking for something a little more in depth for her....but I can't figure out what all these courses are. I know LL7 & 8 is Lightning Literature, but what are all these others? They sound intriguing, but I can't find them on the abb. sticky or a google search. Please help!

TIA

nmoira - Is the sale at Oxford U Press? Do you know if I can sign up to be notified of the sale? That would be fantastic!
I'm not sure when the sale starts, so I start checking Amazon in early December. I'm still kicking myself over not getting the Oxford Latin Dictionary two years ago when it was on sale for $100. Googling "Oxford Holiday Sale Amazon" will get you to the store front.

Please help - I know I am coming into the middle of a conversation, but I need some help. I know that at least some of you who are posting on this thread about literary analysis and other threads about writing are MCT users as am I (a real newbie, though). If I am following this thread and others (about Bravewriter, etc), it seems that several are looking to supplement MCT heavily. Can you help me sort through the need for this so I make sure I am not missing something for my own kids? I thought MCT was coming aout with a literary analysis something-or-other soon... Also, I thought the writing portion of MCT was especially solid... so why all the extra classes, etc. Am I missing something? Thanks so much!

Please help - I know I am coming into the middle of a conversation, but I need some help. I know that at least some of you who are posting on this thread about literary analysis and other threads about writing are MCT users as am I (a real newbie, though). If I am following this thread and others (about Bravewriter, etc), it seems that several are looking to supplement MCT heavily. Can you help me sort through the need for this so I make sure I am not missing something for my own kids? I thought MCT was coming aout with a literary analysis something-or-other soon... Also, I thought the writing portion of MCT was especially solid... so why all the extra classes, etc. Am I missing something? Thanks so much!

I know nothing about MCT, so I can't answer that. I just wanted to point out that I do not believe that the King Arthur study is lit analysis. It is more history. The lit ana looks like a very insignificant part.

I know nothing about MCT, so I can't answer that. I just wanted to point out that I do not believe that the King Arthur study is lit analysis. It is more history. The lit ana looks like a very insignificant part.

You are probably right about that and it's disappointing. However, I have been working on my plan to spread out LLfLOTR over two and a half years and am feeling quite pleased. I hope what I have worked out in my head and on paper works as well in reality.:tongue_smilie:

I'm an MCT newbie so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt. I'm sitting here while my son finishes a timed multiplication quiz lol. I don't think folks heavily supplement MCT. I think what is being discussed here is lit analysis. That is not covered in MCT. He has "Classics in the Classroom" which is a "why should you teach w/ classics and here is a book list" rather than a how to. I think these programs, Fig Speaking, LLfLOTR, LL are the how-to. Yes, MCT is coming out w/ a lit analysis book soon but I've not heard what it will entail...a list of terms or more than that?

As far as writing....at least in the lower levels of MCT (Island and Town), the topics are very creative. IT almost seems to me for kids who already know how to write and making their writing even better. I've elected to continue with WWE for my kids b/c i think MCT and WWE address different skills, both of which are important. Also, many of us like using multiple curricula and seeing things from different angles. My son took several bravewriter classes last year and that has certainly brought his writing to a point where he can benefit from MCT in paragraph town next year. Also, my impression from others' postings, is that there are assignments in Town and Voyage level but you can do them w/ any topic. So for example, if you're doing LLfLOTR and have to write a compare/contrast between two epics, you'd use MCT's Voyage essay to learn the how and apply that to the writing assignment in LLfLOTR. Someone please correct me if I'm in error.

Capt_Uhura

Swimmermom - so do I have your method right? You have taken portions of LLfLOTR and done them with your history. So for Ancients those are the three epics (The Odyssey, The Illiad, and The Aenid). Then during Middle ages you did Beowulf and King Arthur. Then also for that time period is Duke's King Arthur curriculum which is more history where as LLfLOTR is the lit analysis. Then once you've done that, you'll LOTR potion of LLfLOTR. Did you also do LL7/8 in there? Where?

Thanks,

Capt_Uhura

Swimmermom - so do I have your method right? You have taken portions of LLfLOTR and done them with your history. So for Ancients those are the three epics (The Odyssey, The Illiad, and The Aenid). Then during Middle ages you did Beowulf and King Arthur. Then also for that time period is Duke's King Arthur curriculum which is more history where as LLfLOTR is the lit analysis. Then once you've done that, you'll LOTR potion of LLfLOTR. Did you also do LL7/8 in there? Where?

Thanks,

Capt_Uhura

My personal opinion of LL is blech after using LLfLOTR. I can't imagine intertwining it in any way.

Right you are! King Arthur is more of a history study, although it is wonderful for critical thinking and writing skills. It doesn't teach you various forms of writing, but demands quality writing, with a rubric for teachers to "grade" their reading responses. There are comprehension questions, every few chapters or so, for each Middle Age subject that is covered: The Quest, Knights, Monarchy, Women and Daily Life etc. There is also a journal reflection at the end of each lesson that should be about one page long. Sprinkled among the lessons are projects to choose from, such as performing a monologue about feudalism, creating an advertising campaign to attract new knights, constructing a castle, creating a hope chest, composing lyrics and music in medieval style, developing a multi-media presentation about medieval medicine etc. All of these projects involve research and a full-blown research paper is written at the end. There are additional, suggested Middle Ages sources - books and websites. We have only just begun this study and from what I've seen, it is fabulous!

eta: I wanted to add some sample comprehension questions.

What does the author mean when he refers to "the feud between Gael and Gall"? Why does this cause conflict between people in the north and south of England?

What do Wart's first adventures reveal about his personality?

How does the way society treats the boy make him prefer the company of dogs to the company of people?

In what ways are Arthur's ideas about law very modern?

How do we know that the author is being sarcastic and that he doesn't really mean that Arthur is the one who is uncivilized?

Edited by lisabees

My personal opinion of LL is blech after using LLfLOTR. I can't imagine intertwining it in any way.

Riddle me this, then, please --:bigear: -- what would you suggest for Literature for 6th or 7th grades then -- I was going to LL7 for 6th grade dd as she is capable of it, but now you have me wondering.

Thanks in advance!:)

Riddle me this, then, please --:bigear: -- what would you suggest for Literature for 6th or 7th grades then -- I was going to LL7 for 6th grade dd as she is capable of it, but now you have me wondering.

Thanks in advance!:)

Mariann, the issue is what was bolded in 8's quote. After LLfLOTR everything is flat. However, imo, LL is better than most lit programs on the market, at least that I have seen. My boys enjoyed it and never complained about it. I doubt that you will be unhappy with it unless your kids are at a fairly sophisticated level of analysis.

The problem is that once you see and use LLfLOTR, it's hard to go back. There is so much depth.

Right you are! King Arthur is more of a history study, although it is wonderful for critical thinking and writing skills. It doesn't teach you various forms of writing, but demands quality writing, with a rubric for teachers to "grade" their reading responses. There are comprehension questions, every few chapters or so, for each Middle Age subject that is covered: The Quest, Knights, Monarchy, Women and Daily Life etc. There is also a journal reflection at the end of each lesson that should be about one page long. Sprinkled among the lessons are projects to choose from, such as performing a monologue about feudalism, creating an advertising campaign to attract new knights, constructing a castle, creating a hope chest, composing lyrics and music in medieval style, developing a multi-media presentation about medieval medicine etc. All of these projects involve research and a full-blown research paper is written at the end. There are additional, suggested Middle Ages sources - books and websites. We have only just begun this study and from what I've seen, it is fabulous!

eta: I wanted to add some sample comprehension questions.

What does the author mean when he refers to "the feud between Gael and Gall"? Why does this cause conflict between people in the north and south of England?

What do Wart's first adventures reveal about his personality?

How does the way society treats the boy make him prefer the company of dogs to the company of people?

In what ways are Arthur's ideas about law very modern?

How do we know that the author is being sarcastic and that he doesn't really mean that Arthur is the one who is uncivilized?

Lisa, this looks great! Mine is on its way and I hope to pair it successfully with Units 10 and 11 in LLfLOTR for literature analysis. I'll know better how that idea will work when the Duke study gets here.

so im completely lost.. if you are doing LLfLOTR and you get to the unit study of king arthur (i dont have my llflotr yet so i cant look at it.. it wont get here till mid may due to a shipping mishap ugh) you are using the llflotr part as the literary study.. and the duke as a history study of king arthur right? as if i need to buy one more thing (already bought llflotr, LL7, priaire primer, and the AGirl study) but go ahead sell me on duke too so ill have to have it lol!! my son loves the middle ages. oh and go ahead.. tell me any other "Extra's" i will just HAVE to have lol!!!

Mariann, the issue is what was bolded in 8's quote. After LLfLOTR everything is flat. However, imo, LL is better than most lit programs on the market, at least that I have seen. My boys enjoyed it and never complained about it. I doubt that you will be unhappy with it unless your kids are at a fairly sophisticated level of analysis.

The problem is that once you see and use LLfLOTR, it's hard to go back. There is so much depth.

Lisa: Thanks for clarifying this -- the light just went on........I would have to do stuff again with the twins in a couple of years -- clearly I am denial about THAT!:glare: Honestly, I am not sure I am up to continuing to homeschool them -- dd11, yes, definitely..... Hekyl and Jekyl - probably not.

swimmermom3 did you get your duke study in? how do you like it? do enable :)

I just received it on Friday but it was a long swim meet weekend, so I haven't looked at it. That's on the agenda over the next couple of days as I am anxious to see if I can tie it into the literary analysis part on Arthur in LLfLOTR. And I am happy to enable especially since you all have done so much for me in that department.:D