Menu

Timez Attack video game for learning multiplication...anyone use this?

DD has used the free version. It's much more facts-focused than Math Blaster but it *is* still a computer game, albeit a pretty unsophisticated one. She hasn't used it much lately because we limit screen time strictly and she's using hers on typing & vision therapy now. :)

We began using it when dd 11 was only 8. we use it again now with the twins who are 9 and dd11 still likes to play. This year, we upgraded from the free version to the premium version.

We have done away with tv and play station and the kids are thrilled with timez attack. I think it does help with their multi facts.

Edited by MariannNOVA

We use the free version successfully. My only complaint is that my 8 yr old gets a little freaked out by the timed 'tests' that happen and freezes up and then gets frustrated by having to go back and repeat some of the problems.

I think Arithmemouse is another appealing game... here's a review of the two of them:

http://www.dr-mikes-math-games-for-kids.com/comparison-arithmemouse-timez-attack.html

We bought the full version and it always had weird cliches that we couldn't figure out. It got frustrating. It didn't hold their attention for very long - but it was fun at first. I should have just stuck with the freebie - since we didn't use it much after we bought it.

Smiles,

Shalynn

the free version only had a few levels so once he mastered those it was worth the money for the premium version. after calling customer support twice when it just froze the computer we figured out the prob.

ds 7 used it to master his tables while we were learning them and occasionally I have him play it again for review.

i think its worth it

Thanks for the input.

We went ahead and downloaded the free version for my 5th that gets the concepts but has trouble keeping the facts in her memory. We will see if it helps her...one benefit is it isn't me sitting there telling her she got one wrong. :tongue_smilie:

My 1st had a fit to play it and is loving it! I told her she didn't need to memorize these yet as we are still working on memorizing her addition and subtraction facts but she insisted. Maybe this will make my life easier when she does start multiplication!:D

• 1 year later...

Timez Attack helped my student memorize the facts painlessly. Her assignment was to work with the program until it told her to rest. When she finally beat the "Big Boss", i.e. memorized the times 2 facts plus some of the times 3 facts, we would switch over to working with MathScore.com for drill with the facts. Her assignment with MathScore was to complete drill sheets (worksheet time) for 20 min. a day until she could pass the times 2 level. Once the times 2 level had been passed, she moved back to Timez Attack to memorize the times 3 facts. Working this way, back and forth between the programs, over summer break she made two years of progress on the timed drills that came with her math curriculum! Yes, two years of progress in only three months!

I think people who don't have success with Timez Attack must not be following it up with targeted drill. Anything painlessly and quickly attained is also quickly forgotten.

Time limits were hard for my student. She would get very nervous and freeze up, then get door-slamming mad. There was a lot of drama going on in my house! But over the course of six or so months, with lots of gentleness and hugs from Mother, she relaxed and learned to deal with the pressure. She even thanked me for making her do it, saying it really helped her by teaching her to deal calmly with time pressure, a valuable skill.

Timez Attack now has new programming to teach rote memorization of addition, subtraction, and division facts, too. We bought the full game eventually. The kids marked their progress by what 'world' they had reached. I finally figured out that 'worlds' were important to them, and paid the $60. Timez Attack has fulfilled its purpose for my students, and is now collecting dust; however, MathScore.com is a daily assignment, first thing in the morning.

MathScore.com costs about $15 per month and has dramatic discounts for multiple children. It has drill sheets up to Algebra 1 level. I really can't say enough about MathScore.com, but I'll save that for another post.

These two programs really saved us from disaster. I will tell you, my student's issues with math were making us, her parents, very concerned. We were considering having her tested for learning disability. She couldn't memorize any facts, even using Rod and Staff for 1st grade math! Two more years in two different math programs saw no change. That's hardcore, folks! She was not the 'typical child' concerning math, not at all. Nine months after starting them, the drama is gone, and she is performing above grade level! We have had fantastic success with these two programs, and I highly recommend them.

It has been tremendously helpful for my dd. I've had her spend 10-20 minutes per day on it all year, and her computation scores (which were about as low as they could get for the last two years, despite daily written drill) came up significantly. The structure of learn 3 problems, practice-practice-practice, review, learn 3, practice-practice-practice, review, review missed problems, etc, over and over again was very helpful. She did *frequently* get stressed out. Sometimes she cried or ranted against the computer. But she did learn, and ultimately it was a lot less painful than other ways.

I paid for one of the upgrades, and was frustrated to realize later that it only applied to multiplication and not also to division. I might have skipped that and just used the free version.

But yes, I absolutely recommend it. And consistency, of course. As will all drill-based work.

My dd8 has used it off and on for 2 years. We started out with the free version and I finally broke down and upgraded multiplication because she was begging for more. When we hit the 6s, 7s, 8s and 9s in SM this past fall, we whizzed through because she didn't have to learn them.

One caveat, I wouldn't recommend it for children who are slow in processing numbers and I recommend caution with kids who are easily frustrated. It is timed and that caused some major frustration with my perfectionist dd. She's highly competitive though and that helped her push through. I did have to limit her time to avoid the inevitable frustration.