Menu

Very new to the idea of homeschooling.

Mom2J112903

This is my first post (well actually second since I posted in the AL thread) but I thought I should formally introduce myself. :) I will apologize in advance for the very long post. Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to read it.

I am a SAHM to our one and only, whom is currently attending a local Catholic school. He had a very rough start to the year but is now doing great thanks to the interventions we have put into place. There was a lot going on in our family that caused J a lot of frustration in his own life while dealing with his own personal demons of sorts. His K teacher asked me if I would think about keeping him back next year. After MANY sleepless nights, tears, and talking with others we (DH and I) have decided to let him go into 1st grade as planned. I will include his last 9wk report card for reference, it will be at the very end of this post.

I have thought numerous times about full time homeschooling as J has a really hard time each year adjusting to the new routine, and of course his academics hurt because of this. DH is not certain this is the best course of action for J, as he has developed life-long friendships (as have I) and the social skills he gains in school are needed for him. There is unfortuanatly not a lot of homeschoolers near me and thanks to my own health, traveling over an hour away to meet up with others is not always possible. Currently I will be homeschooling him over the summer, unless his school says he *must* stay in K next year, and then of course we will not be staying since they do not respect our wishes in doing what is best for J.

I have done homeschooling of sorts with J as a younger child. He was dx with PDD-NOS at age 3.6yrs and we did A LOT of work with him to get him where he is now. I LOVED it, sure there were some days that I thought "am I EVER going to get him back?!" but in the end what I did with him in addition to therapies, was the best for him.

He has SO many opportunities at the school he is currently in, some that I am not certain I would be able to provide for him. The main one is his Spanish class-I do not know a lick of Spanish, but he enjoys it and I would really like for him to continue learning a forgien language. What do homeschoolers do for music and art classes? These are the two classes that J does not do well in, I honestly think he has too much freedom. It seems to me that he *needs* the rigidness of a classroom setting and everything around in both the music and art room is just too much for him. I want him exposed to the arts, how do I do that if we decide to do full time homeschooling?

We are a Catholic family, so learning about his religion and preparing for his first communion then eventually his confirmation is very important to us. This is another place I struggle, what materials would be apprioate for this?

Of course he would still see his friends on the weekends and afternoons, if possible. I just want to make the best decision for my son I can. He really enjoys school, but would homeschooling full time be best for him? I know only DH and I can make that decision, but I am hopeful to have others insight on this as well.

DH is worried that because of my health that I will not be able to "keep up" and J will fall behind because of that. He does not see how I can do 7hrs of school a day/five days a week and still be healthy. Do you HAVE to do that many hours of school? Why can't we do school on Saturday's or Sundays? DH works the weekends sometimes, so if he is off during the week, couldn't we take the day off as well?

I will now include his last report card for reference on what he has/is learning in K this year.

M-Mastered, NP-Needs Progress, U-Unsatisfactory, I-improving

Fine Motor Development-

Uses scissors correctly-M

Holds Pencil/Crayon correctly-M (although I have heard he has trouble and can see how he does not always hold it correctly confused.gif)

Prints first name-I

Prints last name-NP

Prints Alphabet-I

Copies a sentace-NP

Language Readiness-

Speaks Clearly-M

Expresses ideas well-M

Tells a story in sequence-I

Uses adequate vocabulary-M

Mathematics-

Identifies shapes-M

Sorts and classifies objects-M

Makes repeating patterns-I

Knows more, less, fewer, equal-I

Identifies numbers 1-20

Matches sets to numbers 1-20

Counts from zero to 40

Identifies coins-NA

Knows days of the week-M

Identifies calendar-M

Tells time to the hour-NA

Understands addition-M

Undersands subtraction-NA

Personal Development-

Knows full name-M

Knows address-I

Knows phone number-I

Knows birthday-I

Knows names of parents-M

Knows names of classmates-M

Phonics-

Identifies rhyming words-M

Matches capital/lowercase-M

Identifies a word in a group of words-M

Recognizes short vowel sounds-I

Codes, blends and reads a word-I

Identifies intial/final word sound-I

Knows the names of letters-M

Knows the sound of letters-I

Writes the letter in lower case-M

*Excellent improvement! Please practice letter sound Yy, short vowel Ii &U*

Reading Readiness-

Identifies name-M

Identifies colors-M

Knows left and right-M

Works from left to right-I

Comprehends a story-I

Identifies part of a story-I

Identifies color words-I

Identifies high frequency words-M

Religion-

Knows sign of the cross-M

knows our Father-M

Knows hail Mary-NA

Knows grace before meals-M

knows grace after meals-M

knows gaurdian angel prayer-M

Shows reverence in prayer/church-I

Social and Behavioral-

Listens when others speak-NI (U first two 9wks)

works well with others-NI (U first two 9wks)

participates in group activities-NI (U first two 9wks)

obeys rules-NI (U first two 9wks)

is respectful/courteous-NI (U first two 9wks)

works independently-NI

follows oral directions-NI

finishes work on time-NI

works neatly-NI

*J's improvemed coperation is aiding in his progress in all areas*

I, too, have health issues but, homeschooling has helped in my recovery because I can tailor our homeschool schedule to my recovery and not try to fit into a school's routine.

We are members of Classical Conversations, a national group that has a local group in my area. We meet once a week for the kids to learn the memory work that is associated with a classical education. I, too, follow The Well-Trained Mind closely and CC has been approved by Susan Bauer as a good help to homeschooling parents.

We homeschool year round because my kids do better with structure too, even though they don't have the issues that your ds has. I think that most young children do better with structure than without it. Plus, it's easier for them to continue on in their studies when it's not interrupted with a long break. We do our home curriculum Mon. - Wed., Thurs. we have CC (24 weeks between September and April) and then on Fridays we review memory work or maybe a science experiment because my dh has off on Fridays and it's just too hard to do school when daddy's home! :001_smile:

Our Mon. - Wed. days are 7 hour days but, I have older children and two of them so you should not need to be having 7 hour school days. You can adjust your curriculum to your child's learning level without having to worry about a grade level. My ds is 6 and should be in kindergarten but, he is doing 2nd grade work with the exception of math....we just finished 1st grade math. My dd should be in 2nd grade and she's doing all 2nd grade work. Next year, it's going to be interesting for me to see if my ds continues to do above grade level work or if his sister will begin to leave him behind. It doesn't matter much to me (except that I'll have more juggling to do between the two of them).

All that to say, homeschooling has helped me to have the freedom to get better AND give my children exactly what they need. If you read The Well-Trained Mind, I think that you may gain some of the confidence you are lacking. I always thought I would never be able to homeschool but, that book along with the support of my husband and the CC group changed my mind. Plus, you have the added benefit of this forum and to be able to glean wisdom from all the other families who have gone before us and who can give us their insights on things.

We're protestant, so I can't give you any information on preserving your catholic faith at home, but I'd think that maybe your priest might be able to steer you in the direction of some good resources for you to do just that at home with your son.

Also, you don't really have to decide between K and first grade. You can work on his skills wherever they happen to fall. If his social skills and handwriting (making this up because I didn't read your report card) are at a K level then you work on them at a K level. if his math ability is at a 3rd grade level then you work on math at that level. "Grade level" becomes a lot less important when you can meet your child where he is.

:iagree: with the whole post but wanted to highlight this part. This is my biggest reason for homeschooling. Being able to teach a child where he is at is WONDERFUL.

You can look below for my kids ages and what we are using. "School" goes from 8-10:30. We alternate either science or history for about 30-45 min in the afternoon. Thursday we go to preschool so school is only 4 days a week. It does not need to be 7 hours a day at this age.

Good luck with your decision.:001_smile:

This was our first year homeschooling, so I certainly don't have all the answers, but I want to address religion specifically. My son also went to Catholic school and he wanted to continue to receive the Sacraments, but he didn't want to participate in Religious Education since it's public school kids he didn't know. Our diocese allows a parent to homeschool religion, so check with your local diocese for their requirements. We used the materials the school uses so there is continuity. Ds is making his Communion in two weeks.

Also, we are finished 2nd grade (although ds is finishing 3rd grade math right now) and it takes about 2 hours a day, five days a week. We will also be participating in a Classical Conversations group next school year, so we will have one day less of school. But that's OK. Read The Well-Trained Mind and you'll feel so much better.

I just wanted to add that just because you choose to homeschool regular academics does not mean you must homeschool both religion and sacrament preparation if you don't want to. You could always do the regular religious education offered to children who do not attend the parish school. Or you could homeschool the regular religious education and do the sacrament preparation offered through the parish. Call your church's religious education office (or check their website). Indeed, a large part of the reconciliation and communion preparation at our parish is done by the parents anyway - there are parent workshops and just a few workshops attended by the parent and child together, and parents are supposed to work through a book with their children.

I can't imagine that homeschooling a 1st grader would take 7 hours a day. My son started homeschooling in 2nd grade and went from 9-12 (maybe 1 at the latest) and that included several 10-15 minute trips to the backyard to play with the dog.

Just from what you have written I think your son would thrive in homeschool. There is nothing that can replace 1/1 as opposed to a classroom setting.

Plus there is not the rush to get to school in the morning and pick up in the afternoon. You can do school 7 days/week, you can do Mon-Wed and Sat/Sunday, you can do any schedule that works for you.

In my area there are many places that offer Spanish for children (usually up to age 9-10). We take art classes on the weekend/afterschool.

I think its a lot to process but when you begin homeschooling all the worries just fall by the wayside.

Ok - well I just typed a whole note in response to all of this and hit a wrong key - gone - can't find it anywhere. Ugh! Don't be afraid to do what your gut tells you. As far as Catholic education - I think that you will find that you know your faith and sharing it with your kiddo will help you learn and grow spiritually. There are books that you can use, "Sunday school" curriculum you can buy, put them in the church programs if you feel overwhelmed - but it is possible to teach them and have them receive the sacraments "on schedule". It is empowering to be free from the have to do's! Good luck.

Having had one child in ps through junior high, I learned the hard way: Don't put a lot of stock into report cards, especially as a tool to help you decide what to teach in a home school setting. I found out that the teacher's idea of mastery was no where close to my idea of mastery. So, bearing that in mind, if you're wanting to home school him, assess his skills yourself before jumping in.

As far as how long it takes, believe me, it does NOT take 7 hours a day to home school a 7 year old. You could easily get it done by lunch time. So, don't let that hinder you. Kids in institutional school settings spend a lot of time with busy work, waiting on others to finish, waiting on the teacher to correct or instruct them, etc. You will be amazed at how fast the school work can be completed when it's one-on-one. You can determine how structured you want to be. I know some who are very structured in their home schooling, and I know some (ahem!) who aren't. You have to do what works best for your child. You aren't imitating school at home; you're tailoring the education for your specific child.

I am also going to be HSing my parochial schooled (LCMS) Ker for 1st grade.

Others have handled the religious ed part, but one thing you may want to check is if your DS could go to chapel at his current school or at another parochial school. My DD's school's chapel is open to all church members, so we will be going to chapel with her current school weekly in the fall, mostly because she enjoys having that weekly worship designed just for her, which she doesn't get in church. I don't know that we'll keep it long-term, but in the short term, that was one thing which reassured my DD about doing "school at home" next year.

On Spanish, which is an area of concern for me as well, two options you might want to check out are Elementary Spanish, which is carried on Dish Network free, or is available streaming from Discovery Education or for purchase, or La Clase Divertida. I'm trying to decide between these two myself now-mostly because if I do it streaming, while it costs more, we'd also have access to ALL of the Magic School Bus and a lot of other things I know DD would love. My DD's school Spanish teacher suggested Elementary Spanish-it's what she leaves for substitutes when she can't be there.

As far as music, Musikgarten and Kindermusik both have group classes for 1st grade aged kids which are a very good substitute for a school music class. Many programs will even have one during the day for homeschoolers (I'm sure there are other program options, too-those are just the two I know best). Art classes are available for homeschoolers at our local parks and rec center, and are VERY inexpensive. For PE, well, there are a ton of options, and the only problem we're having is that DD wants to do them ALL. My DD's parochial school league also allows homeschoolers to participate in team sports, so it doesn't hurt to check there, either.

Good luck! I've been amazed at just how much is out there for homeschooling a 1st grader.

I have schooled three kids through 1st grade and it never took us 7 hours a day. In this age range we focused on math and phonics. Everything else was "fun". Science was nature walks, reading fun books on different subjects, sometimes experiments (though I am not a hands on person so these were few). History was reading Story of the World, doing a coloring page, and maybe a few other books on the subject. Art was free time coloring, drawing, painting.. whaterver. Music was.. well singing and dancing around (it counted as P.E. too lol). Grammar was reading books and narrating or drawing pictures. We threw in some First Language Lessons as well, very easy and short.

I'd say just start slow and easy. Build up to where you want to be. You'll be amazed at how much he learns just having one on one time with you.

When I picked J up this afternoon, my heart almost skipped a beat-I missed him sooo much. I even asked him if he would like to have school at home with Momma and he said, well really didn't because he looked at me very confused and kinda shy at the same time. This is a much different reaction I would get when we were talking about staying K another year-he broke down emotionally when that question was asked.

I am very worried about trying to "hold his hand" too much. I want *him* to learn things, not just be "taught" if you know what I mean. How do I know he *really* knows these things? I would really like to find an on-line placement testing of sorts, something I could keep track of his progress would be great!

I will look for the WTM in the library tommrow :)

I never thought about attending Mass on Friday mornings! We would both really like that and he could see his friends.

Our church does have a communion class that *all* students not attending the school must attend in order to recieve their 1st communion. Josef can attend that on Sunday mornings :)

How did you know that homeschooling was the right choice for your child(ren)? Do you ever see yourself going back into the school system and if so, at what age? I worry about HS, but that is many years off, but I am pretty good at worrying ;)

If I could find something to track his progress and know that he could go back to school outside of home if need to be and not be behind his classmates I honestly feel like that would "seal the deal" for us.

Thank you to everyone whom has replied, I have never felt so welcome on a board!

I haven't used these, but I've seen them recommended as assessments that you can do at home. Many curricula have their own placement tests, too.

http://www.letsgolearn.com/lglsite/products/

In addition, will his school be doing any sort of assessment testing this year? My DD is taking the SAT-10 at her school, and will be able to take it next year through the local homeschool association, so that will provide a point of comparison. We could also have her take the CTBS-TerraNova through the school system if we chose to do so, but that doesn't start until 2nd grade here.

If you're like me, once you start really watching what your son is doing at home, you'll quickly realize that you don't need a teacher to tell you your son knows an academic skill any more than you needed one to tell you he could walk. When you watch the child engaged in the activity, it's self-evident. Even just moving towards afterschooling has made me MUCH more confident of my ability to assess my DD's skills and assign appropriate work (and that, in fact, I'm better at it than her K teacher is). And I can't imagine that homeschooling won't make that even easier.

I know it's a big step-I cried the day that my DD's K teacher suggested we should consider it, because even though I'd been considering it for several years, the idea that our sweet little parochial school wasn't right for my child was downright scary. But as I've found out what's out there, picked curriculum that fits my child, and seen my DD's excitement grow about doing "school at home", it's pulled me (and even my much more hsing reluctant husband) along.

We were in a situation in which my dd had attended a Classical Christian School in which some concerns were being manifested about the older grades. Academically the school was very rigorous and we weren't sure that she or our ds were going to be able to "cut the mustard" so to speak for all 12 years. Additionally, the tuition was difficult for us to manage financially and the amount of financial aid we were receiving was so small it really didn't do much to ease the burden.

We had our kids enrolled in another Christian school that was traditional in its approach to education and gave us quite a bit more financial aid but, my heart was so set on the classical model that I was having a hard time walking away from it.

After reading The Well-Trained Mind, I was convinced that I could homeschool my children effectively AND ease the financial burden on our family. Even with Classical Conversations' tuition, we paid 1/3 the amount for our curriculum that we would have paid for them to go to the Christian school. I had homeschooled pre-school so I knew a little bit about homeschooling and my dd had had a taste for both going to school and having me teach her at home. When asked what she thought she said, "I want you to homeschool me, Mamma." Not that the kids' impressions sealed the deal but, it was helpful to know that they were looking forward to it.

Additionally, when my dr. said that homeschooling would benefit my recovery....that was a deal sealer!

Also, one of the reasons why our homeschool takes 7 hours is because we are only doing curriculum 3 days a week. As time has passed, the initial Classical School that we had our dd enrolled in has made many beneficial changes. I do not know if we will continue to homeschool through HS or not but, if we decide to put them back into school I want my kids to at least be on grade level. I know what some of the curriculum looks like at the classical school and what will be required of the kids if they return so I have a little bit of my own hang-ups about trying to keep them somewhere close to the school's guidelines. If we end up deciding to make homeschooling work through HS, maybe my ideas about keeping up with the school will change but, at this point I am where I am....good or bad.

Also, the more I learn about Classical Conversations the more I think that I can homeschool through HS but, I'm just not totally there yet. And I have learned that some families re-assess each year as to what they are planning to do educationally with their children. I am more of a long term planner and I cannot imagine doing that but, it's what works for some families. So, if you decide to homeschool for a year and then put him back into school the next, I don't think it's the end of the world. You have to know what is right for your children at the time where you are and then go from there.

I will say that homeschooling is one of the best decisions we have ever made. I do not regret for one minute that we homeschool and from talking with my kids, they don't either. There is great freedom in homeschooling and it's wonderful to see all of those "ah-ha" moments when you see the wheels turning in your child's mind and then they finally get it....you have the opportunity to rejoice with them as they overcome challenges and you can encourage them through those challenges so much better than a teacher can. You know your child best and you know the best way to come along side them and help them when they need it in a way that no one else can!

How did you know that homeschooling was the right choice for your child(ren)? Do you ever see yourself going back into the school system and if so, at what age? I worry about HS, but that is many years off, but I am pretty good at worrying ;)

I have known that I wanted to homeschool my kids since *I* was a kid. I have a strong belief that the public schools teach to the "middle" of the class. The kids who struggle get left behind, the kids who are advanced are left bored. Very few kids fall into this middle ground in every subject. I didn't think I would/could homeschool HS but more and more I am thinking I will/can.

Any homeschoolers in your parish?

Everyone else has answered many of your questions concerning academics, but I want to encourage you not to worry about teaching your son our Faith. There are numerous resources out there for us .... Also, you may want to look into the religious education in your parish...some do not require homeschoolers to attend and you are allowed to prepare him for First Holy Communion at home.

first off I just want to say that if you feel strongly that he isn't getting what he needs at school then that is your first hint. I have only HS'ed DD age 6 for 2 full weeks and one day but it is the BEST thing I could have done. I am still figuring out our full curriculum and I pulled her out of school at our church (Christian) school with 2 months left to go. I figured I am not going to screw her up pulling her out for 2 months while I figure out what works best for us. I didn't like the curriculum (ACE) that they were using. I didn't like the harshness and military style that the teacher has. I didn't like the "you are bugging me, you can't possibly have another question....!" attitude that the administrator had. I didn't like the horribly long, frustrating memory work that she had every week. And DD goes to her dad's house 2 days a week so if he didn't help with her memory work, then I got frustrated in helping her learn it in 2 less days. They also face a white desk with blinders on it so they can't see their neighbors so obviously no socialization going on at school except their 30 min break. I didn't like that they didn't do "mastery" where she stays on the same thing until she masters it. SHe does the paces, takes the test and moves on, no matter what score.

At home, we are relaxed, fun and yet have our work written out for us every day. I make my lesson plans 2-3 days ahead (in pencil, incase I change my mind!!!) We do school when we want. I had a dentist appointment and watched my neices the other morning so we did school in the afternoon. Tomorrow I work until 3 so we will do it when I get home.

Don't worry about what "grade" your DS is in. Work this summer with him where he is and get a feel for it. Nothing says you can't work behind or a head of where he was in school. Work where he is. I did this with DD because I just didn't feel she was where the school paces were. I printed off spelling from Z-B spelling connections (Zaner-Bloser spelling is free on the internet) and I spent a whole day quizzing her on cat, met, bug, lake, see, bike (the short vowels and long vowels) She got stuck on the long A so that is where we stopped and did long A activities for a week, then long E for a week and this week is long I. Guess what!!!! she has 100% on every spelling test so far. At school they moved to "seeing" and she couldn't even spell "see". Get what I mean about "mastery" You have to know how to spell "see" before "seeing"

We did the same thing with math. She was in Saxon math at school and I spent about a week researching if I wanted to use that or something else. I did end up going with Saxon math but moved back about 10 lessons from where she was in school.

We are still investigating language arts and I am reading WTM and waiting for Jessie Wises' other 2 books to make up my mind on language arts.

I am not following WTM 100% but I do like the classical part of education. I want DD to have a strong foundation in reading, writing, math and worry about everything else as fun. We have 5 ziplock baggies taped to the front window with wet paper towels and lima beans in them right now to see how seeds grow. We decided to do plants first instead of animals so we could use the weather to grow plants and can do animals this winter.

We also plan on schooling all year instead of wasting 3 months although I won't send work to her dad's over the summer.

Wow, sorry to be so long winded but your DS is my DD's age and I just wanted to give you my perspective. Try it over the summer. We don't school for 7 hours. 3-4 at most (more like 3) We use alot of things as "teaching" activities. In the library today we had to see if 581 was before, between or after 576 and 592 to find our book.

Good luck!!!

I think we can all say we know what is best for our child(ren) and while they do *a lot* with the children in our school, they (the teachers) seem to all want them at the same level. There is only one class per grade and until JH years, if even then (I can not remeber right now) there are not any "advanced" classes, they are still all on the same "level". The more and more I think about this, how can this be good for all of the students?

Our school uses Zaner Blosser handwritting and Saxon math. Not certain if I really like Saxon math or not yet, I will really have to look at it more before making a decision.

I too will do most everything in pencil, who knows what will come up or what I *really* feel like doing that day, or even what J really wants to do.

J knows the word without the added "s" at the end, but add that "s" at the end and it just confuses him sometimes :-( They just go on though, keeping "up with the Jones's" I guess.

I can't wait to read the WTM book, it sounds like it is FULL of very helpful information!

J would love watching the beans grow! Never thought of using that as part of school!

I just do not see how schooling-at least for J-can be effective when we are taking 3 months off over the summer. We will definatly be year-around homeschoolers :)

Thank you again everyone! I can't wait to really start looking into different curricla!!!!

I can't wait to read the WTM book, it sounds like it is FULL of very helpful information!

Seriously, reading that book changed my life. I KNEW that was how I was going to homeschool within the first few pages. Dh jumped right on board with homeschooling as I read it to him.

The only caution I have is to not jump in with everything she suggests. I tried and within a week my kids and I were drowning. LOL

Slow and easy starting out as you get a feel for everything.

Don't know that I can really add anything that hasn't been said, but I did want to offer you some encouragement. :grouphug: I have loved having my ds home with me. I've schooled him from day 1.

Yes, you have the freedom to work with your child at his level. You have the freedom to spend as much or as little time as is necessary on a given subject. You have the freedom to pursue strengths and interests, while also tackling the weaknesses. You have the freedom to let him develop into the person he is meant to be...and you get to watch it happen because he is there with you. You have the freedom to develop a schedule/routine that works for your family. If a curriculum choice isn't working you have the freedom to change what you are doing.

It is also important to know that you are not alone. These boards are a great place to come for info, to share, to get a pat on the back or a hug. I would suggest you find, if possible, some IRL homeschoolers that you can get together with as well. It's great to be able to bounce ideas off of others and it would be a good social outlet for you both (and hubby if he's interested. My Dh doesn't usually like the gatherings - just not his thing)

I'll throw another option out there for you to consider as well. I also have an only who happens to be very social. We enrolled in our school district's homeschool support program. It sort of falls under the heading of Alternative Education Programs, but it's not strictly that. It has been great for us because ds has the opportunity to take weekly workshops with other hs kids (and other teachers) and it gives me an outlet as well. It does make you accountable to the district, but it also gives access to district funds and resources. You would not be able to include any "religious-base teaching" in your student learning plan, but that doesn't mean you can't do it. You just can't report it in the hours you "turn in". (For 1st grade that amounts to 20 hrs per week which is really easy to do because, at least here, the state understands that much of hs is experiential - you can include things like ds helping cook dinner (science, math, lifeskills), or digging up worms in the backyard.

Anyway, that's probably TMI, but I wanted to mention it because I know you seem concerned about social outlets. Maybe your district has something similar, or maybe there are other co-ops nearby. Rec centers are good places to look too.

BTW, someone mentioned the DOMA (math) and DORA (reading) assessments http://www.letsgolearn.com I've used both of those and they are a great way to get a good idea of where ds is at. I think there is a cost to them, but I'm not sure how much (we get them free thru the district). They not only give you a score, but they graph it to show what grade level he placed in each area that was tested (not just an overall score) and they give you thoughts of what should be done to improve (ie "name" has a strong basis in whole number computation but struggles to apply those operations to fractions...working with manipulatives can be a way to help..." - quoted from ds' test results)

Ok, so this post is way longer than I intended. Sorry! But you are in good company on the boards here. Don't hesitate to ask lots of questions. You will get feedback from all walks of homeschooling. Take what is useful to you and ignore the rest. :blink:

In the meantime...welcome! :seeya:

Edited by EppieJ

If I could find something to track his progress and know that he could go back to school outside of home if need to be and not be behind his classmates I honestly feel like that would "seal the deal" for us.

Ahem. No, we are not going back to public school unless something horrible happens to me (like I spontaneously combust) and then, I need to have this written in my will that my kids are NOT to attend ps here.

It does not seem like the right choice when you first take them out of school. You're thinking, "Is this legal? Am I ruining my kids forever? Will they be in therapy twenty years from now, telling a nodding psychiatrist about how I wouldn't even let them go to school?"

However, if we wouldn't have started homeschooling...my daughter would not be able to skip 3rd grade this year (which is what she needs to do), my son probably STILL would not know his letter sounds, my son would still be in some remedial program where he gets removed from the regular class :biggrinjester: (here's his portrait) and I would be getting daily phone calls from my 5 year-old's teacher (Oh, she's a spunky one). That, and my kids know more about Zoology than most adults (and they're starting to correct me, which is scary, because I have a Bachelor of Science in Biology).

Your son might find something through homeschooling that he's VERY interested in and pursue it.

If you're worried about mirroring what the schools are doing...you could look at doing a curriculum like K12. A couple of times a year, I look up the "what's covered in each grade level" for our state and just go down the list. That's how I discovered that we needed to do Map Skills - it was a skill on the list, so we bought a workbook for it.

I do think you're right to worry, that keeps everybody on their toes. If you have a specific plan, know what's being covered in the state's public schools and make sure you cover those topics throughout the year, you shouldn't need to worry.

Good luck!

forgive the typos...nursing at keyboard...

I agree with not doing too much at first. I am not doing music or art right this second so I can focus on getting the right start on math, reading, spelling first. I definately want to do something with music and art but I need to get our routine, schedule, curricula, record keeping, storage of all the books that flood my mail etc down first. I also work 2 days a week so that plays into it as well.

Here is a site that tells what your child should know by what grade. Keep in mind it is only a list. You follow it for your childs needs.

http://www.worldbook.com/typical_course_of_study.html