Menu

WTM Cooks: Talapia

Fix a little marinade to soak it in for a few hours (or overnight). I don't measure because it's a marinade....but I like to use some kind of citrus (lemon juice, orange juice, lime juice) as the base....add a splash of soy sauce.....a little vinegar (basalmic if you have it, but regular is fine too)....and then spices....garlic, ginger, rosemary, sage, some diced onions.

After it has sat in the marinade a while, broil the fish, boil the marinade for several minutes at a full rolling boiling. Server over a plate of wild rice with a little spooned marinade.

I don't buy tilapia as it's farmed. That means GMO soy & corn. I*would* buy tiapia if they raised it without carpola.

What kind of taste does your dh object to?

He does not object, though he does not like fish either. He just suggested the Talapia because he'd had it before and thought it might be an easier fish for me (the one who hates fishy tasting fish.. LOL) to start with. :blushing:

Right now I don't mind the farmed part. I will work on that later. I just would like to try Talapia. :)

Thanks for the other recipes. We are thinking of trying the marinade.. I would love any more recipes though.

One of my all time favorite recipes for any food is this one, linked below. It calls for grouper but I've always made it with tilapia. Be sure to get the mild version of the tomatoes with chiles (Rotel), unless you like really spicy! If we don't have a lime, I don't bother about it, and we just use regular (not fresh squeezed) orange juice. Cilantro is also optional. Capers are essential (and can be used in other recipes like chicken piccata).

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=522344

My son's favorite tilapia is this one, but it's pretty rich so we rarely make it this way. It's very good, though.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/broiled-tilapia-parmesan/Detail.aspx

I make this Paula Deen recipe and make it with Tilapia. Easy and delicious.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/cant-miss-red-snapper-recipe/index.html

I don't always use the W-Sauce.....and I use Olive Oil and not butter.

use whatever color peppers you like. My hubby doesnt' like Green Peppers so I use red and orange ones..

And I dont' put the parm cheese on either. Just the veggies.

Sometimes I just dump some Salsa on it and bake it..other times I use Lemon Pepper seasoning and nothing else.

I usually use frozen Tilapia because I life too far from the store to have fresh on hand. If you're cooking it fresh, reduce the cooking times to about 2 minutes per side.

I just heat a little bit of oil in a large skillet (that has a lid). I place the tilapia on the oil, and sprinkle it with Lawry's Lemon Pepper. Put the lid on it and cook it on med-low for about 4 minutes. Gently turn the fillets over, and cook the other side for about 4 more minutes. I cook it longer if I want it to brown a little bit. Dinner in 8 minutes!

Soaking fish in milk can help with "fishy-ness".

I don't make fish often and can't put my hands on the specifics but we like the following:

soak fresh fish in milk 15-30 minutes

rinse

place in a parchment packet with butter, lemon, salt and pepper

bake (sorry can't remember temp or time)

When we used to eat Tilapia (we don't anymore, waaaah!), I'd just put some butter in the skillet and add the fish once it was hot. The instructions said to just "lightly" cook, but we really liked it cooking until it had a buttery crispness to the outside on both sides. I'm not a fan of lemon pepper or marinades on fish, so this suited us to a "t".

Yummmmmmy.