Menu

High school astronomy--I can't teach it!

Dd15 is finishing 9th grade. In the first semester, she did Earth Science, no problems. Second semester was supposed to be for Astronomy. But I have really floundered with this. It seems that I can't teach something that I've not had myself (it was the same with Spanish--that's why we're doing German).

We started in January with Astronomy Demystified, and gave that up within a month--its explanations were disorganized & unclear. Switched to Teach Yourself Astronomy, clearer explanations, but the material was just more than I could learn on my own at night in the time that I have. Switched again to 40 Nights to Knowing the Sky, and still, it's just more than I can learn at night in order to help dd the next day.

This is hard for me to admit, because I've always considered myself a quick learner and good at math. But for this subject I need a teacher for myself.

Anyway, we're eight weeks from the end of our school year, and we have done nothing but some reading for Astronomy. In my place, would you scrap science for the semester, and for 9th grade just show 1/2 credit of Earth Science? Or is there something like maybe a project we could do in the next eight weeks and just call it "Astronomy Project" on the transcript?

Any thoughts welcome, thanks...

We did BJU Space and Earth science (their 8th grade text) in high school. They had some good chapters on Astromony in there, it pretty much ran itself (even though I've hear the dvds are excellent, we didn't use them, we did the book when it first came out and they weren't produced yet).

I like the Teaching Co. idea better though...

We are doing some astronomy this semester. Basically reading books from the library and watching documentaries. Last week we started (maybe I should rephrase that SHE started.. dd is doing it completely on her own) the Wiley Self Teaching Guide to beef it up. DD has written 2 short papers (about 3 pages each) and will do the chapter reviews as tests. Answers are in the book for me to grade.

I don't think we have to 'teach' everything in high school. :)

Dd15 is finishing 9th grade. In the first semester, she did Earth Science, no problems. Second semester was supposed to be for Astronomy. But I have really floundered with this. It seems that I can't teach something that I've not had myself (it was the same with Spanish--that's why we're doing German).

We started in January with Astronomy Demystified, and gave that up within a month--its explanations were disorganized & unclear. Switched to Teach Yourself Astronomy, clearer explanations, but the material was just more than I could learn on my own at night in the time that I have. Switched again to 40 Nights to Knowing the Sky, and still, it's just more than I can learn at night in order to help dd the next day.

This is hard for me to admit, because I've always considered myself a quick learner and good at math. But for this subject I need a teacher for myself.

Anyway, we're eight weeks from the end of our school year, and we have done nothing but some reading for Astronomy. In my place, would you scrap science for the semester, and for 9th grade just show 1/2 credit of Earth Science? Or is there something like maybe a project we could do in the next eight weeks and just call it "Astronomy Project" on the transcript?

Any thoughts welcome, thanks...

Tell me more. What is it that you are struggling with?

I am not familiar with the materials you tried, but perhaps you'd do better if you started with some easier books. If I were you, I'd go to Borders or Barnes and Noble and sit down on the floor next to the bookshelf and see what catches my attention. Or, if you like Apologia, I might read straight through the kid's book, getting a easier foundation of the universe. A book that gives some fun information and a basic idea of astronomy could be fun to read and help you get started:

Simple Stargazing by Anton Vamplew

Texas Starwatch by Mike Lynch

Cycles by Jay Ryan

These are interesting books--not textbookish at all.

Just find something that looks fUN and read it. If you can visit an astronomy club, do so! I have a friend that just moved to TX to teach at a school there--he says the night skies are WONDERFUL. I would bet you have some clubs not far from you--Different sites have them listed (I'd have to dig for them, but since my ds needs the computer, I don't have time). In our club, you can borrow telescopes, get help from members, and learn a ton just be being a member. Go looking...usually us night sky junkies are more than willing to share what we know!!

Then try again at some of your other materials...see what happens. Maybe you can pick a few chapters that look interesting and finish your 8 weeks with those.

PM me if you have specifics I can help with. When my dd was in 3rd grade, I did an unit on astronomy with her--I had no idea I was going to fall passionately in love with the night sky. I LOVED Rey's Find the Constellations and I still suggest that book--even to adults. LOL! You can probably find it at a library. The children's dept. might be a great place to start, too. Just find something you DO understand and go from there.

And yes, if you find it interesting, you might do something unbelievable like me--I've gone from only being able to find the Big Dipper to being the pres of an astronomy club in just a few years. LOL!

Jean

P.S. The idea of using videos is good, too. Some of the Teaching Company DVD's goes into some aspects deeper than you may want--but you can always listen to them and get what you can from each session. Enjoy!

Edited by Jean in Wisc

There is so much good info here. I'm going to look into the Teaching Company course, our local astronomy club, and some easier/more engaging books from

Barnes & Noble.

Maybe the reading we've already done plus a final project--work with the astronomy club, or a paper on the history of astronomy or some such--could be considered a half credit?

As far as my own understanding, the trouble begins when the motion of the stars, planets, and sun are addressed. I cannot seem to understand the diagrams, or how they all work together. Should not a high school astronomy course include mastery of these systems of planetary and star motion?

Anyway, thanks for all the encouragement...

:)

I've no first hand experience with it, but I've heard excellent reviews of the Teaching Company's Understanding the Universe: An Introduction to Astronomy by Alex Filippenko.

I am hoping to buy this one to add life to high school astronomy study.

We are doing some astronomy this semester. Basically reading books from the library and watching documentaries. Last week we started (maybe I should rephrase that SHE started.. dd is doing it completely on her own) the Wiley Self Teaching Guide to beef it up. DD has written 2 short papers (about 3 pages each) and will do the chapter reviews as tests. Answers are in the book for me to grade.

I don't think we have to 'teach' everything in high school. :)

This is pretty much what I am thinking of doing! The Wiley guide, plus reading, writing, hopefully TTC referenced above, and sky watching/planetarium visits/hands on projects/documentaries.

As far as my own understanding, the trouble begins when the motion of the stars, planets, and sun are addressed. I cannot seem to understand the diagrams, or how they all work together.

Did you look at the pictures and explanations in the Wiley guide? I read those a few months ago, and a few lightbulbs switched on in my mind. I had to read the motion sections a few times, but then I finally understood, esp. when I looked at my globe and tried to see it as earth out in space, rather than as me looking at geography. A few hands-on projects involving my kids and me instructing them to stand still with the globe while I tried out various motions around them with other balls in my hand really helped, too. Also a visit to a very small planetarium soon afterwards. Maybe try out an appealing astronomy project/experiment book from the library? I like the Reader's Digest How the Universe Works.

As far as my own understanding, the trouble begins when the motion of the stars, planets, and sun are addressed. I cannot seem to understand the diagrams, or how they all work together. Should not a high school astronomy course include mastery of these systems of planetary and star motion?

Google videos, youtubes and other motion pics on the internet and see if any of these help you understand. Try these, for example:

http://www.opencourse.info/astronomy/introduction/05.motion_planets/

http://www.scienceu.com/observatory/articles/retro/retro.html Take a look at the bottom of the page.

http://www.lasalle.edu/~smithsc/Astronomy/retrograd.html

http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/physical_science/physics/mechanics/orbit/ellipse.html

HTH,

Jean

Jean, that first link (Open Course) was incredibly helpful! It seems to be a series of lectures from an intro astronomy college course. Only about half the lectures are there, but I only wanted a semester course anyway. I might make a course based on that, plus a book I'm looking at on Amazon that leads you through the constellations as they appear month by month (looks understandable). :) It would take us a year to go through the book, looking at the constellations monthly. But if we did that, and spent the next couple of months reading and discussing the online lectures, I could maybe call that a half-credit intro to astronomy course. Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks,

Amy

Jean, that first link (Open Course) was incredibly helpful! It seems to be a series of lectures from an intro astronomy college course. Only about half the lectures are there, but I only wanted a semester course anyway. I might make a course based on that, plus a book I'm looking at on Amazon that leads you through the constellations as they appear month by month (looks understandable). :) It would take us a year to go through the book, looking at the constellations monthly. But if we did that, and spent the next couple of months reading and discussing the online lectures, I could maybe call that a half-credit intro to astronomy course. Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks,

Amy

That makes sense to me.

One of the best things I did when I started finding constellations was to go into the back of Rey's Find the Constellations where he lists what stars come out first as the sun sets. For example,right now the big star rising in the east at sundown is Arcturus. It is the biggest star in the constellation Bootes. If you have his list of stars that come out at sunset, you will know where you need to look to find several of the constellations. Also, if you have problems finding them and if you can attend a star party in your area, people will be more than willing to give you a tour of the night sky with their green laser pointers. These are not a toy, but they make pointing out the constellations easy--I just have to point, and it looks like my laser is touching the stars!

Too bad you don't live in Wisconsin. I'd give you a tour of the night sky!

Jean

My son is enjoying an astronomy video course from a university in Michigan. It is an intro to Astronomy course so it assumes the student has no prior knowledge of astronomy. It is available free online here. You will get a security warning because the lectures are housed under an https. There are 25 video lectures available to view if you click to continue. They used to be listed at learn out loud.

I don't think it's always necessary for the teacher to fully understand a subject in order for the student to do well. What you're finding is a stumbling block for you, but it might not be for your daughter. When you look for a book or two which might work, have your daughter do the looking and she can choose what would work best for her. Then you can both study it together. Nothing wrong with her explaining some things to you - it can actually help her understand the material better too. :)

I also recommend the DVD's from the Teaching Company and a trip to the local science museum and planetarium. If there's an observatory nearby that would be great too. Some amateur sky watching clubs have nights that they get together with their telescopes and are so happy to share and teach what they know. That can be a great experience!

My son is enjoying an astronomy video course from a university in Michigan. It is an intro to Astronomy course so it assumes the student has no prior knowledge of astronomy. It is available free online here. You will get a security warning because the lectures are housed under an https. There are 25 video lectures available to view if you click to continue. They used to be listed at learn out loud.

These look great. About how long is each lecture?

I don't think it's always necessary for the teacher to fully understand a subject in order for the student to do well. What you're finding is a stumbling block for you' date=' but it might not be for your daughter. [/quote']

Actually, she is stuck too! If she were powering through it on her own, I wouldn't worry. But she's not getting stuff and I can't help her. And really, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed these days. With my four dc, I'm feeling like I don't have any more hours in the day to research and learn something so that she can move forward to the next chapter or whatever. I don't know how the moms of larger families do it!

I really want to feel enthusiastic about going to astronomy club meetings, etc., but am a wee bit burned out right now, I think. Feel like I'm shortchanging dd.

And so a video course is looking very appealing right now--if she watched all those lectures and did a paper or project, in addition to the work she's already done, I'd feel justified in giving her a half credit in astronomy.

Didn't mean for this to turn into a vent! Your thought struck a chord with me. :)