Menu

PreK cutting/activity books?? Other ideas??

diaperjoys

My 4yo finished the last page of his Kumon cutting book today. Very sad! He loved that book! Anyone know of anything similar? He loves to cut and paste.

He's got another year of being preK, and I'm looking for more ideas! He loves to "do school" like his brothers, but being a 4yo boy, his motor skills aren't really up to too many writing pages. (he can do a page or two of R&S preschool, or ETC primer, then it is clearly time to move on)

What are your favorite resources for this stage??

If you look on Timberdoodle they have some really cool cutting, pasting, tracing etc etc books on there. It is included in the preschool curriculum which is wonderful. They are more spendy than Kumon but I understand there are a lot more activities in there too. Hope that helps.

Stacey

Usborne has some cutting/pasting books you can purchase. And we have used the Abeka art books - they have K4, Kindergarten, and on up. My girls have enjoyed these. Abeka also have a "readiness" book that has lots of activities like cutting, pasting, coloring, etc - it would feel more like a "schoolbook" for him. MFW has some preschool type toys/activities too. and there is a blog out there with tons of ideas for preschool activities - tot school - (hope that link works ok - my first time :))

~Jess

Check out the Chicken Socks titles at the bookstore or at amazon.com. They are preschool-level crafts -- really nicely done. My daughter loved the one with rolls of different colors of tape, and one where she cut out and made nodding paper animals.

We really like these montessori cutting exercises: http://www.montessorimaterials.org/lang2.html.

Look at Scissor Exercises towards the bottom of the page(by Tiffany). You print each page on different colors. Cut in strips (1/2 inch by 4 inches or so). The child cuts on thick lines. The first page is simple straight cutting, but the complexity of cutting increases with each page.

See here for a picture:

http://mommyme-thewonderyears.blogspot.com/2009/08/using-scissors.html