Menu

Non-food items you make instead of buy (e.g., laundry soap) -- I need ideas!

Dh and I are tossing around an idea that includes packaging things like homemade laundry soap into say gallon-sized bags for user purchase. I'm trying to steer clear of food items because of the regulations on that (i.e., to sell fresh-ground flour made from wheat berries requires the use of a commercial kitchen) -- so what types of things do you make at home that tend to save you money (and are effective)? I would value any ideas you'd have! Thanks.

We make our own cleaning liquid and sometimes shampoo from soapnuts. You take a handful of soapnuts and boil them in 6 cups of water. Cool. Bottle. Refrigerate. Lasts about a week. You can clean your car, your kids, your house, your laundry, just about anything with it. Natural (soapnuts grow on trees) and if you get a big enough bag they'll last for years. They smell a little vinegary but the things you use them on don't smell at all.

This is interesting. Since coconut oil melts at under 80 degrees, it must liquify on contact with your body - how do you avoid oil stains on your clothes?

I put it on right after I shower and wait a couple of minutes before I put my shirt on, which is fine because I have to moisturize anyway. As long as I don't put too much on it absorbs pretty quickly and I don't have any problem with staining. When it is warmer it goes on a little heavier, that is the only time I've stained a shirt. It actually melts at a little lower temp, I think like 76 degrees, so I keep it in the refrigerator which helps apply the correct amount. I live in East Texas, so keeping it in the refrigerator is neccessary!

I have never heard of soupnuts either...where does one buy those???

I buy the on the internet from Naturoli.com. They are de-seeded and bagged. I would order a sample size from them to start out to see if you're going to like them. You can also just throw a few in a little cotton bag they give you and toss it in your washing machine. I don't do that because I bought the soapnuts pieces (because they were cheaper) and there's a better chance all those little pieces will escape while swirling around in my washing machine.