Menu

If you prefer traditional worship, this one's not for you

Easter Sunday, my husband was on stage with two other drummers and a full praise band, leading into U2's "Until the End of the World" on a drum kit made of garbage cans, pails and buckets.

Then, we spent the whole service talking about what heaven will be like. I thought about my brother who's already there and sobbed my way through a box of tissue during "I Can Only Imagine."

It was AWESOME! :hurray:

My Easter outfit was cool, too...a "Love Wins" tee shirt, jeans and tie-dyed Crocs. Definitely the best Easter Sunday service ever. :D

Sounds totally Awesome! My girls had their cute little dresses on, and I worshipped in jeans, gymmers and a sweater. That song does that to me. I think of my friend's 5 yr old, who passed Christmas day. I can just see her running, playing and worshipping Jesus.

Definitely the best Easter Sunday service ever. :D

Sorry, but we had the best Easter service ever. :D

My girls played the piano before church for the adult group, then sang during the service. Their little choir was transcendant -- even parts -- with about 20 kids ranging from 4 - 13 in age. The adult choir performed a huge, impressive piece (which I cannot remember the name of now, ha) and the postlude was the most magnificent, huge organ piece, played on a huge, magnificent pipe organ. We sit in the back of the balcony most of the time :) and we did a little dancing as the organist played.

Next year, let's combine our talents/efforts, whaddya say?? ;)

I'm all in for the service you had, too. (No, really) But ours was the best. ;) 'Cause my kids were sweetly pouring out their talents.

Hey -- you don't have video to share, do you? I'd love to see it if you do.

Oh ROCK ON!!

That is so something we would do LOL

We can't yet afford a set of drums for Eldest...but you may have given me an idea ;) Hey, we like the drum action in Caedmon's Call...certainly nothing wrong with that. Totally dig it!

So, maybe we'll improvise with a few trash cans :p

Yeaaaah I can see it now...

My 'school room' (which hasn't ever really been a school room)...which I plan to convert to a music room anywho..gets its start...

Hub on the electric guitar, Eldest on trash can drums, pastor and his eldest boy come over with their 6 strings...(then the other kids plucking around on the other 3 guitars we have in the house, just the rest of them can't play well yet) teehee

So your service definitely is not my cuppa. Isn't it great, though, that God can be worshipped, from the heart, in both traditional and contemporary fashion?

I did want to mention that "I Can Only Imagine" often makes me cry, thinking about my mom. It's also the reason behind my blog name - Imagine. If you ever go there, and read my first ever post, you'll see the story.

Oh, and child-led Easter and Christmas services are my second favorite. ;)

As we started our little church, 3 families took turns leading the song portion of the service and only 2 kids in the 3 families played an instrument: one 12 yo beginner on guitar and one 10yo on harmonica. One mom could play piano but was reluctant to play. So for months and months we sang mostly a capela. Even though we were all originally from churches with talented, upbeat, non-traditional worship bands, we found that we relished a time to be without any pretense of performance or perfection. Simplicity rose in our estimation, but it was quite the change to go from slick city to a 10yob on the harmonica!

Fast forward 2 years, most of the time all the instruments are played by the children in the church. Our kids are pretty motivated to learn instruments because they have a chance to use what they learn *right away*. My 13yodd had given up on piano when she was still a beginner at age 9, but she has since attacked the piano with vigor! Both my girls are getting more and more adept on the guitar. My 11yo boy can shake a mean shaker! And my 3yo can dance.

Right now, we are not reflective of what we desire to see in the future. We are only a little seed starting to sprout. I hope in the future we will have fun, free times of worship such as you described. I also hope our kids can sing some beautifully polished harmonious traditional pieces too, such as Mama Bear described. I now treasure a broader spectrum of worship experience that I ever have before, including unpolished and homespun.:w00t: