Menu

looking for a different perspective on history

jabuford

I am looking for a detour for history. We have used truthquest history and history odyssey, SOTW, and probably something else I can't remember. My children are independent in their studies now and I want to take a side trip before high school starts. Any suggestions? Kids are 6 and 7th grade. I was thinking about doing geography for a year but don't know if that is something that would last. What about historical biographies has anyone done anything like that? Have you taken any detours from the normal studies (Ancient, Medieval and Modern) ?

We did Historical Biographies with Study Guides, as well as the Teaching Company's Early American History DVD's. DD says she really enjoyed the DVD's, and loved the reading. She didn't like the study guides so much, but we were able to discuss things and have a deeper knowledge of that time in history and that person. She was in 7th/8th this year.

How about Trail Guide to World Geography or U.S. Geography?

I am a former middle school teacher and we studied 20th Century in the U.S. one year. The kids LOVED it. You could study a decade a month and learn about what was going on in the world, what it was like to live at that time, music of the time, movies of the time, etc. There are some fantastic videos that feature a decade at a time by PBS (I believe). You might ask them to develop a presentation for each decade. You could give them a list of people, events, places for each decade that they need to include and encourage them to be creative.

We did Sonlight 5 last year. My kids are upper elementary, but I don't think that you'd have any problem using this for high school. It is a missions focused look at cultures and geography of the Eastern Hemisphere (including Russia, Africa, Australia, the Mid East and the Far East). Had some of the best books and most interesting thinking that we've done.

Barb at Harmony Art Mom is doing a year of geography with her high schoolers.

My dd5 is much younger than yours, but we have really enjoyed doing unit studies for social studies. We choose either a country or a person, and we find books about that topic. I look for both fiction and non-fiction, including historical fiction, legends and myths, biographies, histories, etc. It has been a real eye-opener for me. When she picked Pakistan, I had no idea that I would actually find a wonderful picture book about an event in that country. I never imagined that when she chose Greenland, a story book about the viking, Eric the Red, would turn out to be one of her favorite books ever. Even though my dd is much younger than yours, there is no reason this couldn't be a fun detour for an older child. I have to turn down many great-looking books, because I think my dd is too young for them. And you wouldn't have to pay for a curriculum.

Tracy

My son is currently fascinated with Japanese culture. We are deviating next year and doing a year of Asian Studies, with a focus on China, Japan, & Korea.

I looked at Sonlight 5, but that wasn't the direction I wanted to take. I'm still putting together resources and am looking forward to see what it will look like all together.

My son is currently fascinated with Japanese culture. We are deviating next year and doing a year of Asian Studies, with a focus on China, Japan, & Korea.

I looked at Sonlight 5, but that wasn't the direction I wanted to take. I'm still putting together resources and am looking forward to see what it will look like all together.

I am thinking of doing something similar, after we finish the Brimwood Press materials. Let me know if you find anything great, will you? Please? :tongue_smilie:

Wendi

We specialize in deviations from standard curricula; both my daughter and I are hopelessly prone to getting drawn in side paths. At the moment I'm trying to build on my daughter's interests in science fiction -- a historical study of the literary genre but also of the technology and cultures involved -- and books -- a study of their history from the beginnings of writing through manuscripts to print and virtual texts (8th grade).