Menu

Cloth Diapers or all-in-ones

All-in-ones were easier for my dh to use -- they're just like putting on disposables. They're a little harder to wash thoroughly and take quite a bit longer to dry than prefolds with covers however.

Bleach will eat through the cloth of diapers and significantly reduce their lifespan, so I definitely wouldn't *soak* in bleach on a regular basis. (Washing with bleach on occasion won't make as significant a difference.)

I don't 'get' the whole all in ones or pocket dipes craze, myself.

I like fitteds, MotherEase one size work just fine for us, have for 4 kids now. Chinese prefolds with a Bummi cover has served us well too.

As Abbey said..limit the bleach, no soaking. That'll tear your diapers up faster than anything. And don't bleach the covers either. A cold soak, hot wash and double rinse is my method. Diapers go into a dry pail after dumping/scraping off all the mess I can into the toilet. I wash about every 2-3 days.

Every once in a while I will throw some vinegar in the rinse cycle...helps spruce things up. You don't want your covers in with that though. The vinegar will eat at the waterproofness.

To prolong your covers, line dry them. But, mine have spent a LOT of time in the dryer and still do well. No issues. Just a bit faded.

I asked a few questions that got some great responses on cloth diapers if you search for cloth diapers I think you'll find them. Hopefully that will make up for my asking a question in your thread - "hijacking" I think it's called. Sorry, ignore if not polite.

One thing I can't get past in making the decision personally...

So we're using cloth chinese prefolds and a cover - we're out for the afternoon at the mall with baby. She has a bm and I change her. I put the whole thing in the diaper bag until we get home, dig into the bag and retrieve the offender (boy do I hope I remember that step or next time I'm out I'm going to faint), scrape what I can into the potty and throw the diaper and the cover into my holding bin?

Doesn't that just stink to high heaven? Plus I have to deal with that stinky diaper three times, once to change and once to put in my bin and once to wash?

I can't get my mind around the concept, and yes, I'm fairly young having only known disposables as a mom. However, I'm trying to be as open as I can. I like the thriftiness of cloth, don't really care about the environmental aspect (gasp!).

Momee, you are too funny! That's exactly why I say to go for disposables when out and about!!

Thanks, Tara, for your explanation. I used to use something like these when we lived in Japan ages ago. I would see all the other young (wealthy) mothers use cloth and had to try it. For me it is not really an environmental matter, though, but something about trying to generally waste less and to not have to buy diapers all the time!!

I found pocket diapers with my 4th and am not all that interested in using anything else. They are easy and convenient. Much more convenient than a fitted and/or prefold and a cover.

I'm looking into newborn pockets for this new baby. Any suggestions?

For washing, I dump any solids in the toilet, run a rinse cycle, then wash as usual. I will sometimes add a second rinse to the wash cycle, but not always. I've not used bleach.

So we're using cloth chinese prefolds and a cover - we're out for the afternoon at the mall with baby. She has a bm and I change her. I put the whole thing in the diaper bag until we get home, dig into the bag and retrieve the offender (boy do I hope I remember that step or next time I'm out I'm going to faint), scrape what I can into the potty and throw the diaper and the cover into my holding bin?

Doesn't that just stink to high heaven?

Sometimes, but often, it's not as big a deal as you think. Some babies poop more often than others, and you get used to your own baby's schedule. When they're in the newborn, poop-after-every-feeding stage, at least the poops are pretty inoffensive and can often be thrown in the laundry without even rinsing. When they're older and eating solids, they get on a more regular schedule, so you know when to predict it, and it's also easier to just toss the solids in the toilet (including in a public bathroom).

With J., we carried a heavy-duty nylon drawstring bag in the diaper backpack. At home, we'd just undo the drawstring and dump the diapers in the pail or the washer. Also, like many adults and older kids, she tended to have her daily BM at home, so after the first few months, it was seldom an issue at all. We seldom forgot to empty the bag, and the few times that it did happen, there were no casualties. ;)

I'm on a mission to let people know that cloth diapers are not half as much of a pain in the neck as you think they're going to be! For us, they were just another load of laundry. You're already going to wash her clothes, bibs, blankets, burp cloths, crib linens (if you use a crib), and whatever she spits up or lands other bodily fluids on, anyway! And when faced with the choice that's far cheaper, better for the planet, and better for the baby, it was a real no-brainer for our family.

-Anne

I'm on a mission to let people know that cloth diapers are not half as much of a pain in the neck as you think they're going to be! For us, they were just another load of laundry. You're already going to wash her clothes, bibs, blankets, burp cloths, crib linens (if you use a crib), and whatever she spits up or lands other bodily fluids on, anyway!

-Anne

I'll join you on that mission. ;)

I use cloth when out and about too. We just put the dirties in a wetbag and dump it all in the washer or the pail with the other dirties when we get home.

Oh, and Osmosis Mom, we have both PFs and AIOs. We prefer the AIOs for simplicity-sake. I run them in a cold rinse without soap. Then hot wash with soap (Allen's Naturally or Country Save), extra rinse.

I don't 'get' the whole all in ones or pocket dipes craze, myself.

I like fitteds, MotherEase one size work just fine for us, have for 4 kids now. Chinese prefolds with a Bummi cover has served us well too.

As Abbey said..limit the bleach, no soaking. That'll tear your diapers up faster than anything. And don't bleach the covers either. A cold soak, hot wash and double rinse is my method. Diapers go into a dry pail after dumping/scraping off all the mess I can into the toilet. I wash about every 2-3 days.

Every once in a while I will throw some vinegar in the rinse cycle...helps spruce things up. You don't want your covers in with that though. The vinegar will eat at the waterproofness.

To prolong your covers, line dry them. But, mine have spent a LOT of time in the dryer and still do well. No issues. Just a bit faded.

I used MotherEase diapers (soooo soft! with those convenient snaps) and I think I used their covers as well. The reason that I didn't like the all-in-ones is because it makes more laundry. You only have to wash the diaper covers every third change or so (depending!). With the all-in-ones, well, they are attached so you have to wash the cover as well.

MotherEase diaper covers were waterproof cotton, with the cutest designs. I treasure the photos of my baby in those cute, soft diapers. And as far as stinky diapers, I agree with throwing the whole diaper as well as the cloth bag straight into the washer when you get home. Then you're only smelling it twice. I think I washed once for not-poopy diapers, twice for poopy ones. Then one rinse. I hung the covers to dry -- easy to do, and they dried soooo quickly.

buddhabelly

For the early months I favor prefolds and covers or wool soakers, because of frequent changes and quicker laundry process.

When DD had to be in daycare I sent AIO's because they went on like disposables, easier for the DCP to deal with.

When she got older, esp. that last year where she was in training pants during the day and needed something heavy-duty at night, pocket dipes were the bomb.

Certainly prefolds are the most economical.

What do you recommend? I am thinking of getting a few for when we are home.

I haven't used cloth since with my oldest, but I recall leaving them in water with bleach until washing next day or so. What do you do?

No bleach ever!

Chinese Prefolds (diaper service quality) or Snugglebottoms dipes

LiteWraps covers(which run big)

A quality diaper sprayer for cleaning poopy messes in the toilet

I find AIOs to be a hassle to wash since the cover is attached, but they are good for babysitters and dad's who are not into the cloth diapering thing. One more thing, don't look at cloth diapering as a chore. It's one of the best gifts you can give your babies. Their skin will be healthier and the environment will be better off...plus poop goes where it should...in the toilet! I'm also on a mission to encourage cloth diapering.

I didn't read the other replies but I will give my cloth diaper story.

Started with Chinese prefold and Gerber diaper covers as they have a good velcro closure and stayed on well. But ended our career with all-in-ones. My Step-daughter loves pocket-diapers for hers. I used wash cloths for wipes. My Step-daughter made wipes out of recieving blankets so that they would be nice and soft.

I did the dry pail method:

Shake the diaper over the toliet or use the spayer attatchment that we bought and hooked up to the toliet.

Put the diaper in the diaper genie without turning it between diapers. If a cover got soiled or had been used quite a bit I would put it in there too.

Once that was full--I would unload it into the washer.

I would do a soak cycle--most times I would have it fill up and soak over night. (Nothing in there but water.)

I would do a cold wash/cold rinse with detergent (Free & Clear variety). I used a Kroger brand called Tempo Free & Clear because at the time it was the only thing offered in my community.

Then a hot rinse with 1/2 cup of vinegar.

Then I would pull out the diaper covers and hang them to dry. The diapers went into the dryer on a low-heat cycle.

This method was a bit hard on the covers but my diapers were also nice and clean. The hot rinse would sanatize them. If they started to smell, I would leave out the vinegar and do baking soda instead.

I loved the cloth diaper thing and even had ditty bags and took my dc out in cloth. So between nursing and cloth, I really didn't need a diaper bag. It saved us a lot of money and both potty trained fairly quickly.:001_smile:

Sometimes, but often, it's not as big a deal as you think. Some babies poop more often than others, and you get used to your own baby's schedule. When they're in the newborn, poop-after-every-feeding stage, at least the poops are pretty inoffensive and can often be thrown in the laundry without even rinsing. When they're older and eating solids, they get on a more regular schedule, so you know when to predict it, and it's also easier to just toss the solids in the toilet (including in a public bathroom).

With J., we carried a heavy-duty nylon drawstring bag in the diaper backpack. At home, we'd just undo the drawstring and dump the diapers in the pail or the washer. Also, like many adults and older kids, she tended to have her daily BM at home, so after the first few months, it was seldom an issue at all. We seldom forgot to empty the bag, and the few times that it did happen, there were no casualties. ;)

I'm on a mission to let people know that cloth diapers are not half as much of a pain in the neck as you think they're going to be! For us, they were just another load of laundry. You're already going to wash her clothes, bibs, blankets, burp cloths, crib linens (if you use a crib), and whatever she spits up or lands other bodily fluids on, anyway! And when faced with the choice that's far cheaper, better for the planet, and better for the baby, it was a real no-brainer for our family.

-Anne

Great post. This has been my experience as well.

As for prefolds and covers/fitteds and covers/pocket diapers/all-in-ones, it really is a matter or your own personal choice and budget. I could never make pocket diapers work for us, but many, many people love them. For me, all-in-ones were the easiest (I used bumGenius 2.0 with my second) because they were just one step, like disposables. I also used fitteds and covers almost exclusively with my first (Motherease one-size diapers and Airflow covers, though a PP is right, Imse Vimse covers are so soft and sweet, very gentle). My life has been crazy hectic since my second arrived, so in order to keep CDing, I needed to keep everything as simple as possible, and all-in-ones were the way to do that. I washed them the same way I washed my Motherease, and had no problems.

Prefolds and covers will almost always be the cheapest way to cloth-diaper your baby. If that's your top priority, that's the way to go. Fitteds are probably the next step--just snap them on, cover up and go. Then there are pockets--more expensive, but drier against your baby's bottom, just stuff them, snap them on and go. Then there are all-in-ones--most expensive, but simplest to use. I loved the bGs because they were very trim but also very absorbent, and they have stretchy tabs like disposables do. They were certainly expensive ($15 or so each), but cheaper than buying disposables and more environmentally friendly, and I'll be able to re-sell them for about $8 or so (some people will pay more for girly colors, which is what I have).

Either way, one way to reduce the cost of buying your diapers (any kind) is to buy them gently used. There are several sites where you can do this (not eBay though, where they're considered "used undergarments" and have been banned). The bGs are the only diapers I ever bought new, because they had just been introduced and no one was selling them used yet.

If you have more questions, feel free to PM me. I've done tons of diapering research over the years, and I have diaper junkie tendencies, though could never bring myself to fork over the money to back them up :D

Ultimately, you may have to just try out a few kinds and decide what's best for you. Either way, invest in a good diaper pail bag that is waterproof and can just get dumped into the wash with the diapers. Consider cloth wipes too. It was so nice to never have to worry about running out of diapers or wipes, and my wipes now have an extended life as my cleaning cloths. I'll be using these things forever!

Oh, and I see people are discussing wash routines now. I used a dry pail with the bag inside. When it was time to wash, I ran a short, cold wash with a couple tablespoons of detergent (too much detergent can cause buildup on your diapers and make them less absorbent, more prone to leaking). Then I ran a hot wash with a tablespoon or two of bleach. Then I tossed them in the dryer. Someone posted above to never use bleach, but on the diapering boards I was a member of, more people were beginning to use it because it turned out it wasn't destroying the diapers the way people thought (at least not in small amounts). The dryer is more damaging, it seems. But YMMV. Many people also do a hot wash with Borax or a cup of vinegar instead. Those also work fine. HTH!

I have used cloth dipes with my youngest since he was about 3 months old. I tried pocket diapers thinking they would be wonderful, but they weren't breathable enough for him and caused a lot of rashes (although I have heard they work great for many babies)...after a couple months of that, I tried some prefolds with a snappi and wool covers. I love that combination. Now almost a year later, I still prefer the prefold with wool combo.

I say try out the different types and see what you prefer.

I don't soak the dipes, but put them in a dry bag. I wash every 3rd day unless they get really smelly. I also use vinegar every once in a while in the wash. I run a cold soak pre-wash cycle with baking soda, then a hot wash with a small amount of detergent, and sometimes the vinegar. Then I dry in the dryer.

I just loved the all in ones! They are so easy to use. I also liked the shaped with covers. With my two youngest I ordered some from Natural baby and also ordered several yards of all natural unbleached flannel. Being a fairly decent seamstress I made my own all in ones. My dd had diapies that matched all her little gowns and things I made.:D I just used the unbleached flannel for the parts that were next to baby and made the cover part out of cute flannel prints. My favorites were made to match little dresses I made and had cute rosebud prints with eyelet trim.

As far as care, I just dumped the solids, you can even do this in a mall bathroom, and put them in a ziplock bag in my diaper bag. There was never a smell as they were sealed. You can also buy a pack of the disposable liners to use when out and about. you just dump the contents, disposable liner and all into the toilet and voila, no mess

I just kept a bucket with a lid to soak them in, sometimes I added a little vinegar to the water. I also liked to hang them out to dry, it really made them smell fresh and the sun helped fade out any stains.