Menu

Sinus infection & neti pot - advice please?

So, I bit the bullet and bought a neti pot.

I was pretty sick with what I thought was a nasty cold 2 weeks ago. Got better after about 4-5 days was fine for over a week. Saturday - BOOM! Down again, same symptoms.

I have incredibly painful sinuses, my left ear is aching (and has been since I first got sick), and generally feel nasty. I really need to get better - I have a playing gig Thursday night that lasts for 10 days, and I can't afford to be terrible, kwim?

Someone today told me that if I already have sinus infection, I shouldn't use the neti pot until it's cleared up. Is that true?

Oh, heavens no! I use mine (it's not a neti-pot, it's a Neil-med sinus rinse bottle, I think they're basically the same thing. If not, please disregard this post) to clear up sinus infections. My last sinus infection I literally put a gallon of saline solution through my nose every day until it was cleared up. It's so much better than blowing and it feels so good when all that junk gets rinsed away. Also, drink a couple tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in 8 oz. of water a couple times a day. That's supposed to help, too. It seems to be helping me right now. I was on the verge of another sinus infection (my allergies are going nuts right now) and I've been doing the vinegar and I feel a lot better.

No! You should use it until it's cleaned out. I've cleared up multiple sinus infections using a neti pot. Do take care if your ears have a lot of fluid in them -- chuff, don't blow, the water out of your nose, or you could cause yourself some serious ear pain.

ABSOLUTELY use it! I had sinus infections off and on all last spring, and I was on 3 courses of antibiotics, none of which cleared it up. My nurse finally suggested that I buy a neti pot, use NeilMed rinse and add 1 drop of tea tree oil. My infection was gone within a week, and hasn't been back since.

I think I'm the only person on the planet for whom nasal irrigation doesn't help.

Can I join you on that lonely place on the planet?

Actually, it does help, but i can never get totally on top of my sinus issues. What do you use? Have you found something that helps you? I'm getting desparate.