Menu

Do you have to be 'Catholic' to go to a Catholic church?

Everyone is welcome to attend Mass. :)

Only baptized Catholics who have completed sacramental preparation and who are in good standing with the Church may receive the Eucharist. Non-Catholics may go up to receive a blessing from the priest/deacon if they wish. What you would do to indicate you are not receiving Communion is to cross your hands over your chest. Or you may remain in your seat if you prefer.

Hi Tammy,

Yes, communion is done every time. There is a set format for the catholic mass which includes communion. You don't have to be catholic to attend, you just can't receive communion - host and wine. Like Crimson Wife said, you can go up at communion time for a blessing.

Check out the order of the mass here.

Tammy,

I converted to Catholicism in 2001 when my husband and I married. I had never been to mass before I started to attend with him.

Looking at the order it may seem complicated, but it's basically this:

Welcome

some singing or the "I confess ..."

scripture reading

Gospel reading

Sermon (homily)

singing

offertory (pass the hat)

communion

singing

recessional

There are certain things that are said and done which are memorized by Catholics. You don't need to participate in them if you don't want to, but they are in the hymnal books (Missal) if you want to read/recite a long.

Stand when they stand, sit when they sit. We kneel during communion. You can feel free to do that, too. We do it since we're in the presence of Christ at that time.

It's a beautiful ceremony steeped in hundreds of years of tradition. I've grown to love it very much.

And...since I have no idea what all of that means.....I feel even more pathetic now, LOL!

Gosh....maybe Catholic isn't the way to go....since I have no clue about any of their practices.

Aw, if it were that complicated, there wouldn't be so many Catholics. :)

You should just go and check it out. And if you want to talk to someone, just to get more information, I'm sure someone at the church will be happy to talk to you. And there won't be any pressure, either. You're more than welcome just to talk.:)

He was attending church while living in Virginia....and now he is with me. I don't go to church....so have no knowledge of the different denominations and such. I was going to attend with him....since I don't want to 'drop him off' there.....

This church is the closest one to our house....

And....you never know....I might just like it, LOL!

He was attending church while living in Virginia....and now he is with me. I don't go to church....so have no knowledge of the different denominations and such. I was going to attend with him....since I don't want to 'drop him off' there.....

This church is the closest one to our house....

And....you never know....I might just like it, LOL!

Good for you. :)

Here's a good Catholic discussion forum. You might find some answers there.

I went to a Catholic church for several years prior to my conversion to Catholicism and no one ever pressured me. There were no visitor cards to fill out. I personally chose to remain kneeling while my husband and his family went up for communion and it gave me an opportunity for prayer/contemplation of my own. No one ever commented or noticed. I also found the mass to be so peaceful and uplifting as I still do.

And...since I have no idea what all of that means.....I feel even more pathetic now, LOL!

Gosh....maybe Catholic isn't the way to go....since I have no clue about any of their practices.

It doesn't seem that complicated when at the Mass. Honey, I attended in my second language and got along just fine (I use to take my mil to morning Mass before attending my regular service). :D

You can go, but do not take communion since you are not Catholic. You can take instruction to become Catholic if you weren't born and brought up Catholic. Otherwise go and enjoy! We'd be glad to have you! And, nope, no one will question you about not doing communion - not everyone goes up for it for one reason or another. Not everyone kneels, either - although it is mostly pregnant ladies and old folks who sit (while moving forward in the pew so the folks in back who are kneeling do not get a face full of hair.)

Edited by JFSinIL

By the way, it's not awkward to go even if you know nothing. You aren't called out to do anything. Nobody will point you out.

Once, I visited my aunt's church (I don't know what denomination it was). I was called out in front of the congregation! Asked if I felt Jesus healing my back (I was wearing a backbrace at the time) and other things. I just mumbled "Umm, yeah, sure".

That doesn't happen at Mass. There is a point where you turn to greet your pew neighbors and wish them peace but I am sure you could that.

:iagree: with what everyone else has said, especially about communion.

In general, Catholics are pretty low-pressure. There shouldn't be any public notice or pressure for you or your son. You can just follow what everyone else is doing (standing, sitting, kneeling) if you want to. And most parishes have Missals available in the foyer, which will contain the readings for each Mass and the general order of what is going on.

My church has greeters in the foyer who welcome everyone. Most Catholic parishes are so big that we don't always know who the visitors are! We want everyone to feel welcome and experience Christ in the Mass.

I have never had a single bad experience with attending Catholic masses, and I attended more than one occasion - partially it was also due to having grown up in Italy and thus having a lot of Catholic friends, so of course that from time to time, even in my youth, I was in a situation of being invited to somebody's baby's baptism, or a friend's wedding, or a friend's kid's confirmation, which involved being present during the rite. I was in a weird situation of being brought up as a secular Jew in Catholic Italy, but I don't really remember any tensions in the air with regards to religion or lack thereof, and I was even present for a while on the school RE (even if I never officially attended it). Later as an adult I grew fond of Catholic churches from an artistic point of view and visit them innumerable times, both alone and with kids, both as a tourist and, a few times, during the actual service.

Not that we would go on a service without a reason to go there, since we're not believers, but we've never had bad experiences. Maybe it was due to usually being with somebody, or due to knowing how to behave and being generally familiar with Catholicism, but I can honestly say that my experiences were only positive.