Menu

Science for 3rd grade?

Shannon in TN

Bernard Nebel is coming out with a 3-6th grade curriculum which I am literally chomping at the bit to order. If you join his yahoo group you will find more information on the release, which is supposed to be this summer. His k-2 book is absolutely hands-down the best science curriculum out there.

Not that I have an opinion or anything. :tongue_smilie:

I am using Dr. Dave's Teaching Manuals from Royal Fireworks Press. We are in 'Phases of Matter' right now. http://www.rfwp.com/browse_subject.php?subject=Science

The page is easy to navigate as there are grade level suggestions. I cannot say enough about how enjoyable the Dr. Dave series is. My kids want to do science every single day - which we probably will in the summer - for now we are doing two days a week....but they want more.

Every lesson has a different slant/appeal/approach to it -- next week, we will begin with a Dr. Seuss book (Bartholomew and the Oobleck) and then we will make slime -- you cannot imagine how all three kids are looking forward to it.

btw, I am using this with the third grade twins and dd fifth grade.

There is no one "best" curriculum, just whatever is the best fit for the particular child and parent.

Are you looking for Christian or secular/neutral? Do you want to focus on one particular subject like chemistry or do you want to cover a variety of topics? Is your child working at grade level or ahead? Are you looking for an open-and-go textbook or would you prefer a "living books" approach?

We've used Pandia Press's REAL Science OdysseyQUOTE]

We've just started, and are loving it. I think this is my 4th attempt at incorporating science, and the first one that looks promising!

Also, they have a "try before you buy" scheme - download the first few weeks for free.