Menu

"Other" curriculum? OM and CTT users??

momto4girls

I know these methods aren't classical so this is probably the wrong place for these questions, but here goes...

I've been doing eclectic classical since we started homeschooling. Every year I've looked at other options and felt tempted, perhaps just for the change it would bring. I've looked at OM in previous years but until this year I haven't been seriously tempted. My oldest would be in OM5 and it's written to the child... I'm wondering if anyone has experience with OM after doing Classical. How was the transition - pros? cons? I also have three other children being homeschooled (they will be in 1st, 2nd and 3rd next year). I don't think I could handle 4 levels of OM and I'm happy with the foundation our approach has provided. So I am probably looking at just OM5 - maybe OM3 as well - but I am interested in people that use this with more two kids because it does tempt me! lol

The other site I've recently discovered is Connect the Thoughts. Wow. It sounds impressive. I'm just wondering how well it actually works in reality. Everything is written to the child, it is very thorough, but I can't find enough samples to look through to get a really good feel. Has anyone used this? I'm looking at the Lower School for my oldest, but the First Steps Elementary might be an option for my little ones b/c I could combine 2 or 3 of my kids :D and that would be LOVELY.

Anyone have anything to share? I feel like I'm poking around in the dark on these two packages and I hate to buy *more* stuff without more information!

TIA!!

We're getting ready to start OM in July...3rd/4th grade and 2nd grade. OM also has a Yahoo Group where you could ask questions. We are going to keep using some of the stuff we use now, but are beefing it up with OM (if that makes any sense).

Honestly, I think my kids are going to love the transition into some hands-on stuff. We don't do a lot of that now and I think they are really going to like it. We are going to continue working with CLE and WWE, though. We are also going to start Latin this fall.

I think in the morning, we will be doing a lot of classical ed and in the afternoon, we will do our OM stuff...

Once you get to the middle grades, it is very easy to use OM as a spine and still school "classically." You will have to supplement somewhat, depending on how crunch-n-grind classical you are.

OM requires considerable independent thinking skills on the part of the child. If you haven't used OM for the lower grades, this will be a stretch for most kids, especially classically schooled grammar stagers, as that stage is mainly a "fill-the-tank" approach, not necessarily requiring the child to extrapolate. However, it does dovetail nicely with classical logic stage where the child does begin to extrapolate more and more. (OM just starts that a bit earlier).

In grades 5-8 the history sequence is this: American, Ancient/Medieval, Renaissance/Modern, American Civics. That's not too far off the WTM guidelines of chronological history. I have heard that some will only use the grade 6 and 7, but stretch each out for two years, and supplement with extra reading and by doing all the activities (as opposed to just selecting one of several choices for a topic) and by doing all the optional activities as well.

Grade 5-8 science sequence follows thusly: Environmental Science, Life Science, Earth Science, Physical Science. This does not correspond as well to the WTM guidelines, but it still provides thorough coverage of the main sciences in the middle grades (logic stage) period.

Where you might find it more challenging is with OM's language arts. It looks very light in grades 5 and 6, but you must remember that many LA assignments are closely tied to the history and even the science program. There is a LOT of writing required in OM middles grades. There is no direct instruction in writing. Instead, OM includes an "English manual" to which you are referred periodically in lessons. Grammar is instructed very organically. There is no sentence diagramming (which I believe is a useless exercise for people who "get" grammar naturally -- but that's a rant I'll save for another time ;)).

By grade 7 (and 8), LA is separate from the history curriculum, and becomes much more rigourous, requiring the child to begin to think critically about literature. IMO, the grades 7 and 8 English curriculum are fantastic. They really ask the child to dig into the literature critically and they prepare him for serious literary inquiry by the high school (rhetoric stage) level.

We discovered Connect the Thoughts a few months ago, and I couldn't find anyone to answer questions about it, so I just went ahead and purchased a few of the beginning lower school courses to give it a try. It's designed for the child to work through it on their own, and at first my ds9 was enjoying that. I guess after a few weeks he felt a little lonely and asked if we could go back to doing history and science together, but he wanted us all to use the CTT curriculum. The history uses Story of Mankind as a spine, and the excerpts you need to read are included, but we went ahead and got the book from the library to go a little deeper. The curriculum includes lots of drawing (yesterday they drew what they thought the beginning of the world would look like), hands on activities (go outside, find stones and sticks and make a tool with it, then compare it to tools you use today), and lots of writing. We've started doing discussions for the writing prompts because dd7 wouldn't be able to do all the writing. The science is similar, with tons of hands on and experiments. It's been a great fit for us and we'll probably continue to use parts of both the history and science next year. It's very different from any other program I've ever seen, but we really like it. If you join the yahoo group, the author will answer any questions you have.

Once you get to the middle grades, it is very easy to use OM as a spine and still school "classically." You will have to supplement somewhat, depending on how crunch-n-grind classical you are.

OM requires considerable independent thinking skills on the part of the child. If you haven't used OM for the lower grades, this will be a stretch for most kids, especially classically schooled grammar stagers, as that stage is mainly a "fill-the-tank" approach, not necessarily requiring the child to extrapolate. However, it does dovetail nicely with classical logic stage where the child does begin to extrapolate more and more. (OM just starts that a bit earlier).

In grades 5-8 the history sequence is this: American, Ancient/Medieval, Renaissance/Modern, American Civics. That's not too far off the WTM guidelines of chronological history. I have heard that some will only use the grade 6 and 7, but stretch each out for two years, and supplement with extra reading and by doing all the activities (as opposed to just selecting one of several choices for a topic) and by doing all the optional activities as well.

Grade 5-8 science sequence follows thusly: Environmental Science, Life Science, Earth Science, Physical Science. This does not correspond as well to the WTM guidelines, but it still provides thorough coverage of the main sciences in the middle grades (logic stage) period.

Where you might find it more challenging is with OM's language arts. It looks very light in grades 5 and 6, but you must remember that many LA assignments are closely tied to the history and even the science program. There is a LOT of writing required in OM middles grades. There is no direct instruction in writing. Instead, OM includes an "English manual" to which you are referred periodically in lessons. Grammar is instructed very organically. There is no sentence diagramming (which I believe is a useless exercise for people who "get" grammar naturally -- but that's a rant I'll save for another time ;)).

By grade 7 (and 8), LA is separate from the history curriculum, and becomes much more rigourous, requiring the child to begin to think critically about literature. IMO, the grades 7 and 8 English curriculum are fantastic. They really ask the child to dig into the literature critically and they prepare him for serious literary inquiry by the high school (rhetoric stage) level.

Ok, I have looked at OM several times in the last year and a half. You have convinced me that I'd like to try it when my dd gets older. But I'm concerned about the extrapolation that you mentioned between the lower/upper grades. I cannot bring myself to teach with fairies and gnomes and so forth in the younger grades. :tongue_smilie:When does all of that cease? 3rd? 4th? Most people seem to pick up around 5th grade. Can anyone speak to 3rd or 4th? Maybe even second? LOL

thanks!

aimee

Guest Cindie2dds

Audrey,

Thank you for the upper level OM overview. The rigorous upper grades with critical thinking is what makes me want to stay with OM for the long term. I like the gentle, fun nature now, but I expect much, much more later. It's good to know we don't have to go anywhere else. :)

Ok, I have looked at OM several times in the last year and a half. You have convinced me that I'd like to try it when my dd gets older. But I'm concerned about the extrapolation that you mentioned between the lower/upper grades. I cannot bring myself to teach with fairies and gnomes and so forth in the younger grades. :tongue_smilie:When does all of that cease? 3rd? 4th? Most people seem to pick up around 5th grade. Can anyone speak to 3rd or 4th? Maybe even second? LOL

thanks!

aimee

There is none of the fairies and gnomes in grade 4 at all. The whole idea of those is to give the child something concrete onto which they can hang their developing sense of numbers and language. One could use kittens and puppies, or teddy bears and toy soldiers and achieve the same results.

Audrey,

Thank you for the upper level OM overview. The rigorous upper grades with critical thinking is what makes me want to stay with OM for the long term. I like the gentle, fun nature now, but I expect much, much more later. It's good to know we don't have to go anywhere else. :)

You'll notice that, in that gentle, fun nature, there are many questions and activities that ask the child "what do you think?" or ask him to create his own story. That is just setting the stage for independent and critical thinking later. The trick is to just sit back and let the child actually formulate his own answers without prodding or prompting, and without making any kind of judgmental comments on what he says. One should correct (gently) any errors, but as far as opinion and imagination -- let them run with it, and let them know their thoughts have value.

It doesn't seem like much when you look at it on paper, but it makes a huge difference later on when critical thinking and original responses are necessary.

Khall - Thank you so much for the information on CTT. It is *really* hard to find anything about the program - I didn't even know about the Yahoo group. Thanks for passing that along. In looking at the program, it's hard to tell how much parent prep there is, stuff like that. I'll look for answers at the yahoo group.

Audrey - In looking over the OM materials, I had the sense that the 5th grade was a good fit for the beginning Logic stage and doesn't seem a huge departure from what we've been doing with our (loose) classical. Thank you so much for your insightful and detailed replies!!! This was exactly the information I was looking for. I appreciate it so much.

Guest Cindie2dds
You'll notice that, in that gentle, fun nature, there are many questions and activities that ask the child "what do you think?" or ask him to create his own story. That is just setting the stage for independent and critical thinking later. The trick is to just sit back and let the child actually formulate his own answers without prodding or prompting, and without making any kind of judgmental comments on what he says. One should correct (gently) any errors, but as far as opinion and imagination -- let them run with it, and let them know their thoughts have value.

It doesn't seem like much when you look at it on paper, but it makes a huge difference later on when critical thinking and original responses are necessary.

I have noticed the wonderful stories they are supposed to "sleep on" and then retell the next morning. I'm not sure who the author is, I've never heard of her (Rebecca Ide Lowe), but the stories in the Syllabus are just amazing. I am so glad I will be able to redo this again with my wee one. I actually love the fairies and gnomes at this imaginative age. We've had some fun make believe games after the stories.

Thank you for the gentle reminder I emphasized in bold. Oftentimes I have to sit on my hands or bite my tongue, but I will continue to do it. You can really tell where they are leading with it for the later years. The more we get into OM, the more impressed and comfortable with it I become.

There is none of the fairies and gnomes in grade 4 at all. The whole idea of those is to give the child something concrete onto which they can hang their developing sense of numbers and language. One could use kittens and puppies, or teddy bears and toy soldiers and achieve the same results.

Good point. Thanks

I have noticed the wonderful stories they are supposed to "sleep on" and then retell the next morning. I'm not sure who the author is, I've never heard of her (Rebecca Ide Lowe), but the stories in the Syllabus are just amazing. I am so glad I will be able to redo this again with my wee one. I actually love the fairies and gnomes at this imaginative age. We've had some fun make believe games after the stories.

Thank you for the gentle reminder I emphasized in bold. Oftentimes I have to sit on my hands or bite my tongue, but I will continue to do it. You can really tell where they are leading with it for the later years. The more we get into OM, the more impressed and comfortable with it I become.

You know, now that I think about it, it was more my dd. She's very logical, commonsensical and practical. She never played imaginative games or anything and didn't really want to when I tried to instigate it. Now that my ds has come along, her imagination has improved some. Maybe it would be a better fit now.

You know, now that I think about it, it was more my dd. She's very logical, commonsensical and practical. She never played imaginative games or anything and didn't really want to when I tried to instigate it. Now that my ds has come along, her imagination has improved some. Maybe it would be a better fit now.

That's interesting to note. I think even imaginative kids go through stages where they are more engaged in the "concrete" things of the world, rather than in their imagination. Perhaps your dd is beginning to shift into another stage? It certainly wouldn't hurt anything to try again and encourage imaginative play -- even if her play is more literal and practical, it's still HER play.

Guest Cindie2dds

My oldest wasn't really imaginative either. Her sister is a dreamer and has really brought out the creative side of my analytical little engineer. :)

Audrey,

Cindie, I feel the same way, even though we're a bit further up the grades than you. I have a great cyber-pal who will start using some of the OM high school curriculum next term. She's given me some good insight so far, and I'll be picking her brain more as she gets the chance to use it with her students. From what I can see and hear so far, the high school courses are, indeed, quite rigourous.

For me, it's a bit tricky using OM because we're not American, which leaves some years/courses not particularly useful or appealing to us. I have found ways around that so far, and I am pleased with what OM has taught ME about teaching my child. I think, if I start working on it now, I can manage to pull together a Canadian Civics curriculum to match (hopefully) the quality of the OM American Civics (in grade 8).

I have started using Oak Meadow again. I just pulled an old syllabus off the shelf and sat down with my son. Recently, I have been sort of lamenting the fact that I didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t let myself trust the OM/Waldorf method when my creative girls were younger. We did do WTM in a non-traditional manner and we used CM methods, so they had plenty of free time to play outside and create art in their spare time. However, as I look over my OM materials, I am shaking my head at the fact that I obviously missed something very good here. Used as a guide and supplemented (heavily in some cases) I think OM would fit nicely into a Ă¢â‚¬Å“classical-ishĂ¢â‚¬ type plan.

I am going to use OM in a different way, very loosely, and stretch it out as well. I will use various levels so as to continue partially combining my children. With adding OM into the mix, something will have to give in our curricula choices, which is the hard part.

Thanks for your insight Audrey; I should have listened to you last year! Looking ahead at the samples, I think they look interesting. We may use them and blend them with something like LL. I am not going to use the science just yet though, or the math, and as for high school, thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s very up in the air.

That's interesting to note. I think even imaginative kids go through stages where they are more engaged in the "concrete" things of the world, rather than in their imagination. Perhaps your dd is beginning to shift into another stage? It certainly wouldn't hurt anything to try again and encourage imaginative play -- even if her play is more literal and practical, it's still HER play.

Exactly! It's time to go and look again! LOL Nothing better than curriculum shopping.:tongue_smilie:

Guest Cindie2dds
Cindie, I feel the same way, even though we're a bit further up the grades than you. I have a great cyber-pal who will start using some of the OM high school curriculum next term. She's given me some good insight so far, and I'll be picking her brain more as she gets the chance to use it with her students. From what I can see and hear so far, the high school courses are, indeed, quite rigourous.

For me, it's a bit tricky using OM because we're not American, which leaves some years/courses not particularly useful or appealing to us. I have found ways around that so far, and I am pleased with what OM has taught ME about teaching my child. I think, if I start working on it now, I can manage to pull together a Canadian Civics curriculum to match (hopefully) the quality of the OM American Civics (in grade 8).

Wonderful! I love to be the recipient of a good brain picking. :D

I was wondering how you handled OM 5 especially. We lived in Ottawa for 3 years, and would love to incorporate some Canadian History alongside American History. I think they would complement each other very well. If you could share the resources you used when you substituted, that would be great.

Thanks!

Guest Cindie2dds
Have there been many threads about OM in the past? I was going to search, but wanted to know how much reading I was letting myself in for!

Not as much as I would have liked. :D I bugged the pants off Audrey! I probably filled up her pm box several times over.

:lol: Note to self: examine OM webpage, request catalog, pick Audrey's brain and overload her pm box!

I'm always happy to chat about OM. :) Let you in on a secret though... when I have a question about OM, I call them. They've always been great about helping me decide on levels and answer my questions about content. I love their curriculum, but I also appreciate the customer service.

Have there been many threads about OM in the past? I was going to search, but wanted to know how much reading I was letting myself in for!

A bit here and there. It's a choice that is becoming better known on these boards, though. I think those who like the ideals of both OM and WTM can see past the strict interpretations of both and can blend what they like about each quite well. It ends up looking different for each, but that's the beauty of being an adaptable creature. :001_smile:

A bit here and there. It's a choice that is becoming better known on these boards, though. I think those who like the ideals of both OM and WTM can see past the strict interpretations of both and can blend what they like about each quite well. It ends up looking different for each, but that's the beauty of being an adaptable creature. :001_smile:

That's sortof what I'm thinking. I really like the classical approach, but it's a little too much for us. At the same time, I tried OM's K level and it was waaaaaay too light and whimsical for either my dd or myself. I need something in the middle, but Charlotte Mason doesn't do it for me. I'm wondering if I can successfully combine OM and WTM for possibly 2nd, and definitely 3rd or 4th. It's something to look into, for sure.

Wonderful! I love to be the recipient of a good brain picking. :D

I was wondering how you handled OM 5 especially. We lived in Ottawa for 3 years, and would love to incorporate some Canadian History alongside American History. I think they would complement each other very well. If you could share the resources you used when you substituted, that would be great.

Thanks!

Ah! We opted not to use the OM5 history, per se. We are using the first half of OM 6 with OM5 Science, and since I have OM5, we are flopping back and forth to get the writing we need. Next year, we will finish OM6 history and do OM6 Science. It takes a bit of tweaking because I have to go back and work on the writing element with ds much more closely and carefully. It isn't his strong suit anyway, so he'd need that either way.

I will tell you that for OM4, we did quite a lot of Canadian History because that year is "local history" centred. Here are a couple of the resources we went to frequently:

http://www.freewebs.com/canadianhomeschool/nicolas%20%20list%20draft%20sept%2023%202006.htm

http://www.ontariogifted.org/meghan/history.htm

I wasn't as adventurous then as I feel now. If I had thought I could re-make the Am. History component, I would have tried, but I just didn't have it in me. Now, I am looking at grade 8 with better eyes and planning ahead.

Edited by Audrey

Guest Cindie2dds
I'm always happy to chat about OM. :) Let you in on a secret though... when I have a question about OM, I call them. They've always been great about helping me decide on levels and answer my questions about content. I love their curriculum, but I also appreciate the customer service.

:iagree: I had a question about the OM 1 Readers and she went to grab the Syllabus to answer my question immediately. I have nothing but great things to say about their customer service.

I have bought and used several CTT courses and intend to use more. I like them but I tweak everything. I do like the way they talk directly to the child an ask them what they think. I did find the extra courses like Manners were good for a bit, but then I felt they were busywork, even for my ds14 who really could do with a course on Manners :) But that's me.

I like the history, and it would be easy to add TWTM methods to it and do some outlining or extra ssignments. We did Medieval and will do Modern soon, using CTT. I have had to squish in Renaissance in a shorter time due to my dd15 goind to college next year and wanting to do Modern...so I havent used CTT in between.

I find CTT very tweakable.

As for parent prep- very little. You do need to check ahead for movies though, because quite a few are integrated into th curriculum, which I actually like.

Guest Cindie2dds
Which portion of OM and grade level talks of gnomes and fairies. I have a friend whose DD loves fairies and this might be perfect for her.

Thanks,

Capt_Uhura

K through 3rd, mostly K and 1st. :D

Audrey,

Do you know if you can split grade levels or is it a box curriculum? For example, say a 4th language arts, but a 5th math? Just curious

If you look at the OM bookstore page, it shows the Syllabus for K-4 (haven't looked at 5th grade yet) coming in one book. Every subject is in the syllabus for K-3. After 4th grade, you purchase the Math seperately. So, for 4th grade, you could purchase the 4th grade Syllabus and then go to the 5th grade page and purchase the 5th grade Math.

I'm probably going to buy OM 4th grade this spring, so here's what I plan on buying...just to give you an example.

• OM Fourth Grade Syllabus (probably a used one)
  • Singapore Math 3a/3b (from sonlight.com -this kid will probably always use singapore math)
  • OM Fourth Grade Teacher's Manual ($20)
  • OM Indian Legends ($14.95)
  • The 8 Novels/Books required for the course (Search for Delicious, Heidi, etc.) - I'll either buy these on ebay/amazon or get them from the library for free.

We're not going to do recorder because, geez...the kid plays like 3 instruments already and writes music for the piano. :tongue_smilie: We're going to buy the art supplies from local art store because OM art supplies seemed pricey and I'm on strict budget.

I hope that helps. Also, if anybody sees anything I'm missing for 4th grade, pleeeeeease let me know (I overlook stuff all the time). :D

Not as much as I would have liked. :D I bugged the pants off Audrey! I probably filled up her pm box several times over.

I was browsing the OM site looking ahead to high school but the 8th grade literature selections caught my eye. Can one use just the OM English for 8th grade alone without ever using Oak Meadow before and without using any other parts for 8th grade? I would use the whole English program but my main goal would be for "literary analysis". Do you feel English 8 is a good introduction to literature analysis?

Thanks.

Grace

I was browsing the OM site looking ahead to high school but the 8th grade literature selections caught my eye. Can one use just the OM English for 8th grade alone without ever using Oak Meadow before and without using any other parts for 8th grade? I would use the whole English program but my main goal would be for "literary analysis". Do you feel English 8 is a good introduction to literature analysis?

Thanks.

Grace

I'm very interested in this question too. And OM 7.

Also, I don't suppose anyone can tell me if OM 7 math would bridge to Lials BCM or algebra?

I am looking over the used OM 5 English and History Syllabus that I recently received, and it is positively wonderful. I like the writing suggestions; they really make a child think. There isnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t a lot of actual writing instruction though. But yet, there is a ton of writing! So with an instructional program, youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d be all set for writing. And the grammar is very light, a little too light for my taste at this level. But it is well done and would serve as a good review/reinforcement for another grammar program. The spelling is one of those Ă¢â‚¬Å“choose words from your booksĂ¢â‚¬ types of spelling programs. They do give vocabulary words, although they are a little on the easy side. The history is well written and it includes those books that you can see in the package as well as many other book suggestions. The book suggestions do seem to be at a low level for this age, but this makes the whole program a wonderful possibility for a multi-level unit study. (it contains some SL books)

I love the choices they give the child and the creative avenues they explore for deeper comprehension to take place. The projects very well done even though some of them seem like a little much- but that can be nice. OM looks like a winner!

If I use it all the way through with my youngest, I will incorporate CM methods and a few WTM methods as well. I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t know if I can give up teaching phonics because it such an easy way for children to learn to spell. I do appreciate the whole word method of learning to read, but I think a blend is essential. I tend to believe in early reading- if feasible/depending on the child.

I canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t wait to try the new revised middle school materials. Does anyone know when they will be finished?

As for the questions about OM 8 and 7- I am all ears. I do not think that OM has a ton of literary analysis, but the questions they use are excellent and the writing lends itself to critical thinking from what I can see.

I haven't used CTT, but I've been using 1st Step since Nov 2009 with my 2nd grader. So it's been 5 months.

We only use History and Creative Writing courses. So far so good. At the beginning I have to help him with reading and understanding. But since January he can do all the reading by himself, then I ask questions and we do discussions together (he can't cope with all the writing by himself). After discussion, questions and activities, I ask him to write 3-sentence summary in his notebook and draw something.

What I like about 1st Step:

- very straightforward and easy to understand.

- not much details and simple, and therefore my son can remember the gist of the lesson easily (this point can be a pro or a con. For me, it's a pro, because my son is a 2nd grader).

- good discussion and activities to help students understanding the concept.

- almost no prep, except printing and binding everything at the beginning.

- doesn't take a lot of time.

- therefore --> very doable.

After lesson, I sometimes find corresponding chapter in SOTW and read those to him.

Audrey,

Do you know if you can split grade levels or is it a box curriculum? For example, say a 4th language arts, but a 5th math? Just curious

Yes, from 4th up the math is separate and you can purchase a different level. You can also still take advantage of the package deal and subsitute a different level of math. You should call them to place the order if you need to do that because the online cart system doesn't do it for you. They are very helpful, though. Lovely customer service.

Thanks.

Grace

I think it is a good prep for high school lit analysis. If you've never used OM before, it might seem a little daunting. It is definitely more rigourous than most grade 8 English programs out there.

I think it is a good prep for high school lit analysis. If you've never used OM before, it might seem a little daunting. It is definitely more rigourous than most grade 8 English programs out there.

Good to know!

Audrey,

Are you aware of the revisions taking place? Do you have any inside info to give??

:bigear:

And the grammar is very light, a little too light for my taste at this level. But it is well done and would serve as a good review/reinforcement for another grammar program. The spelling is one of those Ă¢â‚¬Å“choose words from your booksĂ¢â‚¬ types of spelling programs. They do give vocabulary words, although they are a little on the easy side.

I agree. We're going to continue supplementing with CLE LA. Nothing could possibly be more thorough than CLE. :D

I haven't used CTT, but I've been using 1st Step since Nov 2009 with my 2nd grader. So it's been 5 months.

We only use History and Creative Writing courses. So far so good. At the beginning I have to help him with reading and understanding. But since January he can do all the reading by himself, then I ask questions and we do discussions together (he can't cope with all the writing by himself). After discussion, questions and activities, I ask him to write 3-sentence summary in his notebook and draw something.

What I like about 1st Step:

- very straightforward and easy to understand.

- not much details and simple, and therefore my son can remember the gist of the lesson easily (this point can be a pro or a con. For me, it's a pro, because my son is a 2nd grader).

- good discussion and activities to help students understanding the concept.

- almost no prep, except printing and binding everything at the beginning.

- doesn't take a lot of time.

- therefore --> very doable.

After lesson, I sometimes find corresponding chapter in SOTW and read those to him.

So Dian...

Do you think doing this program with four kids would be too much (for the younger ages - I can see that once they are in the Lower School everything changes)? I wrote on the CTT board and just read the author's reply - it does sound like will be many hours of me reading and helping with the questions responses for my little ones... Next year I will have a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grader - all would be in either 1st Step or Starter or elementary (plus a 5th grader but she'll be independent for the most part).

Good to know!

Audrey,

Are you aware of the revisions taking place? Do you have any inside info to give??

:bigear:

I had asked about that, and they said they would welcome any input and feedback from people using the current editions. Last summer, the newsletter asked for suggestions and gave this: apple@oakmeadow.com as the contact address for middle grades curriculum director. As I understand it, the revisions are still in the works and mostly deal with updating information, and resources. They also have to deal with the fact that at least a couple of books that were key to the programs are now OOP. They also said they were open to the suggestion of including internet resources, but I don't know if or how that will happen. I think they're still working it out. I didn't get the feeling that there would be anything rolled out this year, but I could be wrong.

From experience, I would guess that the newer editions will be slightly different, but not so much different as to make the older versions obsolete. I know that when we did OM4 two years ago, we used a 1995 version and it was excellent. All the pics and drawings were in black & white then, but that didn't make any difference in the quality of the curriculum.

IMO, if I can find OM used at a good price, I wouldn't pass up the deal in favour of waiting on the new revisions. But, then again... I really want to see the new ones, too. :001_smile:

Edited by Audrey

I had asked about that, and they said they would welcome any input and feedback from people using the current editions. Last summer, the newsletter asked for suggestions and gave this: apple@oakmeadow.com as the contact address for middle grades curriculum director. As I understand it, the revisions are still in the works and mostly deal with updating information, and resources. They also have to deal with the fact that at least a couple of books that were key to the programs are now OOP. They also said they were open to the suggestion of including internet resources, but I don't know if or how that will happen. I think they're still working it out. I didn't get the feeling that there would be anything rolled out this year, but I could be wrong.

From experience, I would guess that the newer editions will be slightly different, but not so much different as to make the older versions obsolete. I know that when we did OM4 two years ago, we used a 1995 version and it was excellent. All the pics and drawings were in black & white then, but that didn't make any difference in the quality of the curriculum.

IMO, if I can find OM used at a good price, I wouldn't pass up the deal in favour of waiting on the new revisions. But, then again... I really want to see the new ones, too. :001_smile:

Thanks, maybe I'll give them a call, or write.

I have older editions as well, and from what I can see, they are pretty similar.

I am very excited to hear what the new ones will contain, hopefully more writing instruction and heavier grammar. Is that too much to ask? LOL. :tongue_smilie:

I am going to use OM in a different way, very loosely, and stretch it out as well. I will use various levels so as to continue partially combining my children. With adding OM into the mix, something will have to give in our curricula choices, which is the hard part.

Um, yeah, well- maybe not. :tongue_smilie:I just may use it as intended, starting next year. But not without adding in additional books here and there. ;) I will miss having my children on the same topic in history. Although, I will not miss the headache that it creates. And I am sure that, at some point, they will all read and learn together anyway. We will continue to have family studies and read alouds. It should be fine. I may blend my second grader w/ my fourth grader...it's too early to say. These are all new ideas. :D

Thanks, maybe I'll give them a call, or write.

I have older editions as well, and from what I can see, they are pretty similar.

I am very excited to hear what the new ones will contain, hopefully more writing instruction and heavier grammar. Is that too much to ask? LOL. :tongue_smilie:

I don't know about the writing and grammar. OM seems kind of committed to the Waldorf idea of "organic language," but you should definitely tell them your thoughts. They can't know what their customers want if we don't say something! :001_smile:

FWIW, I supplement grammar with "Growing with Grammar." I'm also trying to find just the right writing supplement. No luck so far. My ds and writing aren't on friendly terms, that's for sure! LOL!

I don't know about the writing and grammar. OM seems kind of committed to the Waldorf idea of "organic language," but you should definitely tell them your thoughts. They can't know what their customers want if we don't say something! :001_smile:

FWIW, I supplement grammar with "Growing with Grammar." I'm also trying to find just the right writing supplement. No luck so far. My ds and writing aren't on friendly terms, that's for sure! LOL!

:lol:

True, and yes, heavy grammar isn't exactly Waldorf friendly. :tongue_smilie:

Oh well. :rolleyes: