Menu

Opinions on Math Facts

ezrabean2005

Addition & Subtraction Facts  

1. 1. Addition & Subtraction Facts

• Only up to 12, please!
    • More for me, up to 18!

I had noticed with different curriculum materials. One first grade book went up to 18. Another had 13-18 in the second grade book. Another stops at 12 and goes on to multiplication / division.

I've read that Mr. Robinson of the Robinson curriculum advices that a child learn up to 12 for addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Then they start Saxon 5/4.

I've been surprised at the disparity. Our DD previously in public school only learned up to the 10's!!:glare:

I haven't voted yet because I'm still trying to figure that out too. I had planned to do up to 10x10 for addition/subtraction and 12x12 for multiplication, but then I read Liping Ma's book and she talked about how important the Chinese teachers thought working on the facts up to 20x20 was. Our flashcards don't go that high, but we might do it anyway. I think I'm going to stick with 10x10 for addition for the time being and decide later.

:)

We learned up to 12's for addition and subtraction as well as for skip counting. My thought is that if you know 7+4 = 11 you can deduce that 17+4=21. I have worked with ds so that he understands this and even though we have only drilled through the 12's can mentally do all sorts of problems beyond those.

Oops--voted wrong b/c I thought you meant 18-9, for example.

We teach to 20 as an addition answer--so addition up to 10+10.

We teach subtraction facts with the highest number 20-10, but we don't do 20-9, for example.

Does that make sense? lol

Okay reading this made me realize that I typed my last response without thinking. :001_huh:

We do addition facts up to 12's but subtraction we do to 20's just like Chris except we do up to 12+12 not 10+10. :tongue_smilie:

So I voted up to 12 in the poll, but then I got thinking...

I ordered Flashmaster for my ds and it's coming today. It goes up to 9+9 (which is basically 10+10 since my ds can easily do 9+10 and 10+10 already in his head), 18-9, 12x12, and 144/12. All of that is satisfactory to me, so we'll stick with it.

Some books teach addition and subtraction facts up to 18 while some teach only up to 12 then move on to multiplication and division.

Which do you use / prefer? Adding and Subtracting up to 12 or 18?

Neither, only 1-10 the rest you do as base 10 problems.

Heather

So I voted up to 12 in the poll, but then I got thinking...

I ordered Flashmaster for my ds and it's coming today. It goes up to 9+9 (which is basically 10+10 since my ds can easily do 9+10 and 10+10 already in his head), 18-9, 12x12, and 144/12. All of that is satisfactory to me, so we'll stick with it.

Is that where Flashmaster tops out?

Bill

We go to 9+9 and 12x12. The reason we go up to 12 instead of 10 is because lots of practical things come in units of 12, like inches, dozens, and hours in half a day. However, with time both of my kids have learned to add any two double digit numbers quickly.

We go to 9+9 and 12x12. The reason we go up to 12 instead of 10 is because lots of practical things come in units of 12, like inches, dozens, and hours in half a day. However, with time both of my kids have learned to add any two double digit numbers quickly.

:iagree: the 7, 8 & 9 families (+ and -) are challenging, but 10 is easy, and 12 is just 1 ten and 2 ones.