Menu

Home Daycare Advice?

Dh got offered the permanent job where he started 6 weeks ago! They have GREAT benefits and it is a good, stable place to work. However, the pay is very low - much lower than I thought was possible. There is no way we can live on what he makes. (Someone on here warned me the pay would be low, but I didn't know it would be THAT low!:tongue_smilie:)

After going through all the options, it seems that offering day care in my home is going to be our best option. I need to make about $1000 a month (at the minimum.) After reading up on the laws, it seems that I can care for 3 preschoolers and 1 school-age child once I get registered (I can have 10 total with no more than 5 preschoolers including my own.) After 2 years, I can get licensed for more.

Those of you who do this, how does it work? Homeschooling is hard with littles (I have 2!) This is the only way I can keep homeschooling, though. I thought about a night job when dh is home, but I can't make enough at a retail job.

Do you have a lot of space? (We don't.) Do you take the kids places with you or do you just stay home? (I have a 12 passenger van.) What do your small children do while you school the older ones? Any advice?

Thanks!

I would check your state laws to see if there is a sq ft restriction. Usually you are allowed so many sq ft per child.

When I did daycare I took the kids with me if I had to go out or had a helper stay home with the kids.

You might have to do independent work in the mornings and do your 1 on 1 work while the smaller kids are napping in the afternoons or in the evenings.

Yikes, that's right. I forgot about the whole licensing issue.

I would check your state laws to see if there is a sq ft restriction. Usually you are allowed so many sq ft per child.

When I did daycare I took the kids with me if I had to go out or had a helper stay home with the kids.

You might have to do independent work in the mornings and do your 1 on 1 work while the smaller kids are napping in the afternoons or in the evenings.

You could make that waitressing in a decent restaruant in fewer hours than it would take you to make that babysitting.

Of course this is me. I would pole dance before I did home child care. ;) It's so limiting and intrusive.

I agree and it is not my first choice (or my second, third, or fourth.:tongue_smilie:) However, working outside the home is not a really good option. And yes, waitresses around here make $100 a day, but only if they are thin, young, and willing to show some skin - none of which I am or am willing to do (not that anyone wants to see my skin anyway!:lol:) Trust me - my mom owns a restaurant and so does my uncle, and neither would hire me to wait tables!:D

There are no square foot requirements for registered homes, which is what I would be. There are to be licensed (which I would have to do to have more children.) The requirement is 35 square feet per child of usable space and I have that.

It's not for everyone, but good waitresses make money, no matter.

As an aside, this book is awesome and totally debunks what you say. lol :)

www.amazon.com/Counter-Culture-American-Coffee-Waitress/dp/080147440X

Further, I don't tip based on cleavage, I tip based on service. Not all diners are men.

I agree and it is not my first choice (or my second, third, or fourth.:tongue_smilie:) However, working outside the home is not a really good option. And yes, waitresses around here make $100 a day, but only if they are thin, young, and willing to show some skin - none of which I am or am willing to do (not that anyone wants to see my skin anyway!:lol:) Trust me - my mom owns a restaurant and so does my uncle, and neither would hire me to wait tables!:D

Edited by LibraryLover

It's not for everyone, but good waitresses make money, no matter their age.

As an aside, this book is awesome and totally debunks what you say here. lol

www.amazon.com/Counter-Culture-American-Coffee-Waitress

I used to wait tables and did okay at it (when I was younger and thinner), but it isn't really for me. I don't think I could do very well at it. And my dh even just said (when I told him about your suggestion) that they don't hire waitresses for their brains here and we don't have any truck stops.:lol: (That's the last place I waited tables - 15 years ago.)

Further, I don't tip based on cleavage, I tip based on service. Not all diners are men.

You added this after my answer. I agree and neither do I, but there is no way I could get a job waiting tables here. My mom had tons of well-qualified applicants when she bought her restaurant last year (and she didn't even advertise.) I am overweight, have limited hours, and haven't waited tables in 15 years.

Edited by Renee in FL

I still have waitress nightmares. Waitressing can be really hideous. But I do like talking to folks...it's a very social job.

I wouldn't want to waitress again, but that is what I would do if I had to make a good amount of money fast.

I think I would try Olive Garden. Everyone always seems happy at Olive Garden and the menu never changes. That's easier.

I used to wait tables and did okay at it (when I was younger and thinner), but it isn't really for me. I don't think I could do very well at it. And my dh even just said (when I told him about your suggestion) that they don't hire waitresses for their brains here and we don't have any truck stops.:lol: (That's the last place I waited tables - 15 years ago.)

You added this after my answer. I agree and neither do I, but there is no way I could get a job waiting tables here. My mom had tons of well-qualified applicants when she bought her restaurant last year (and she didn't even advertise.) I am overweight, have limited hours, and haven't waited tables in 15 years.

Edited by LibraryLover

I still have waitress nightmares. Waitressing can be really hideous. But I do like talking to folks...it's a very social job.

I wouldn't want to waitress again, but that is what I would do if I had to make a good amount of money fast.

I think I would try Olive Garden. Everyone always seems happy at Olive Garden and the menu never changes. That's easier.

Ooooh, I love Olive Garden. Dh might go for that if they would give him a discount....:lol:

I am *not* a people person. Trust me!:lol: I know there is something out there for me, but not sure what it is....

You need to contact your insurance agent before you go any further. To run a daycare in your home, you will need much different insurance. Your standard homeowners insurance will not cover a daycare, and could actually cause your insurance to be cancelled. The same is true for your large van. Insurance for business purposes is very different than for personal use. If you have an incident in your home or your vehicle and the company learns they happened while you were doing business, you most likely will not be covered. At the very least you will need a liability umbrella to cover you if the unthinkable happens and you are held liable or sued.

I have done daycare in my home and there are other things you need to consider as well. One is hours - what hours will you be open. The average here is 6 am-6pm. That gets to be a drag. Plus, unless the parents work for public schools, they will want you to work holidays, the days around holidays, and all that. Then you have to decide on how to handle sick days. What is your policy? What wil you do if your children are sick? What will you charge? If you are licensed in my state you must provide menus that are balanced and an age appropriate curriculum. You will need policies for medications, non payment, late pick ups, and so much more.

You need to contact your insurance agent before you go any further. To run a daycare in your home, you will need much different insurance. Your standard homeowners insurance will not cover a daycare, and could actually cause your insurance to be cancelled. The same is true for your large van. Insurance for business purposes is very different than for personal use. If you have an incident in your home or your vehicle and the company learns they happened while you were doing business, you most likely will not be covered. At the very least you will need a liability umbrella to cover you if the unthinkable happens and you are held liable or sued.

I have done daycare in my home and there are other things you need to consider as well. One is hours - what hours will you be open. The average here is 6 am-6pm. That gets to be a drag. Plus, unless the parents work for public schools, they will want you to work holidays, the days around holidays, and all that. Then you have to decide on how to handle sick days. What is your policy? What wil you do if your children are sick? What will you charge? If you are licensed in my state you must provide menus that are balanced and an age appropriate curriculum. You will need policies for medications, non payment, late pick ups, and so much more.

Thanks for the tips. I definitely need to check into the van insurance. We don't won our home, so no homeowner's insurance.

I have to take a 30-hour course to be a registered provider - maybe it will cover the things you mention.

Thanks for the tips. I definitely need to check into the van insurance. We don't won our home, so no homeowner's insurance.

I have to take a 30-hour course to be a registered provider - maybe it will cover the things you mention.

If you don't own your home, then you also need to check with your landlord. It may mean that he needs to change his policy to cover what you do, and then you would definately need to look at an umbrella type policy to make certain you have what is essentially malpractice insurance.

Another thing you need to find out is about numbers. In my state my children had to be included in the count for licensing. That really brought my potential income down.

Really,I would consider something else like house cleaning services. A friend here does that all day one day, evenings and weekends, and makes $50 an hour average depending on what needs to be done and how often.

Saying that your not a people person is concerning to me if you are considering daycare. Your not only caring for the little people in your charge, you deal with the adults of the little people too. It is a very people focused business!

My friends who have had small in home daycares struggle emotionally by feeling that they are never, ever off work. They hit the ground running in the am and if they don't get the household chores done at night...they get to sit in their own mess all day then next day. You won't have time to keep up with a house while you are actively open and doing daycare, so any other chores that you usually do during that time, will have to be done later.

Daycares are really struggling in our area due to people being out of work. You may want to see if you can talk to someone you know who is actively running a daycare and have a frank discussion about the profitability of it. You may want to job shadow for a day and see how you like it. You may find it to be perfect or you may find that it isn't what you think.

One option that I have seen work for a few friends, is to offer 'off school' daycare. Before school, after school, holidays and breaks. It is usually more demanding because it will tie you down every day, but it can also allow you the freedom to homeschool.

Even if you don't own your home you will need personal liability insurance and most likely renters insurance as well. Many rentals won't let you have a daycare in the home due to the extra wear and tear. You will want their approval in writing before you start you business. It would be horrible to spend the time, money and effort to get licenced and then get shut down by the landlord.

You may want to consider that while this seems like the perfect job, it sound to me like it will require a huge time commitment from you too....are you factoring that into the equation of 'perfect'?

Another job for you to consider may be to as a in home care giver for the elderly or infirm. My mother has done this for a long time. It doesn't pay that great usually, but if you get the right clients you can sometimes work off hours that will fit in with your family better.

Some of her jobs have been just 2-3 hours a day. Helping to make meals, showering, running an errand or two. Some of her clients allowed her to chose her own hours as long as it was between certain times of the day. If you can work it out over your kids nap times, and let the bigs watch the littles, you may be able to do just as well as the chaos of a daycare. It isn't always steady (people can go into the hospital or die), but it seems that she has always been employed. She got started through Senior Services in our state and then branched out on her own. She and my sister also split one client who wanted full time care but needed it early in the am and then again at night (getting out of bed and into bed).

Along the same lines, you may look to see what your state foster system pays for respite care. You don't have to do it in your own home, (exposing your kids to foster kids that you don't know the personal issues of could be dangerous), sometimes you can get clients who let you come in as a sitter. There is a great need in our area for people who are willing to help out with the physically challenged kids so the parent can get a break. Again, not steady, but a place to look for ideas.

I'd look at a 4 or 5 day preschool for 4 hrs. (9am-1pm) You do lunch that you "make" with the kids... and send 'em on their way. Here that's about $300 a month I think?? Kinda a Montessori, Charlotte Mason, Mix.... Hands on activities.. nature walk. I also would look at the Core Knowledge Preschool book... (and maybe the curriculum?) I would make it absolutely as neutral as you can, but state if you're a Christian. Get out in the yard... build worm farms.. (do composting) anything that makes them get dirty and have fun. For me, I wanted something that would NOT be field trips... as I don't like my kids carted around in large groups.

Anyway, you could do.... 8 kids with your 5 and 3 year old included... get the other kids involved.... Do it M-TH ....presto... $2400 a month and then you can decide what to do about Summers....

Could you possibly do a part time preschool? The one my DD went to was 2 and a half hours 4 days a week for $60 per child. If it is preschool then the licensing requirements (number of children) do not apply, but you can still get a daycare/preschool (here it isn't any different) license in order to be legit. You could even run different classes (3 days per week, 2 days per week, different ages, morning, afternoon).

Oh, Carrie, great minds do think alike!

I'd look at a 4 or 5 day preschool for 4 hrs. (9am-1pm) You do lunch that you "make" with the kids... and send 'em on their way. Here that's about $300 a month I think?? Kinda a Montessori, Charlotte Mason, Mix.... Hands on activities.. nature walk. I also would look at the Core Knowledge Preschool book... (and maybe the curriculum?) I would make it absolutely as neutral as you can, but state if you're a Christian. Get out in the yard... build worm farms.. (do composting) anything that makes them get dirty and have fun. For me, I wanted something that would NOT be field trips... as I don't like my kids carted around in large groups.

Anyway, you could do.... 8 kids with your 5 and 3 year old included... get the other kids involved.... Do it M-TH ....presto... $2400 a month and then you can decide what to do about Summers....

Wow, I can't imagine trying to corral 8 pre-schoolers plus a small infant. How would you handle a kid that needs help in the potty? or time to put the baby down? You can't leave the other kids by themselves in the yard while the one adult is helping with a messy pair of pants?

How are the older kids going to get work done with 8 kids running around. It doesn't sound like there is room for a preschool set up, so what about having enough room for tables and chairs for the kids to sit at and do a project? What would you do on a day with temps too hot for them to be outside or rainy?

Sorry, I feel like I am being really negative about this idea for you. But I have a 3yo in commercial daycare so I am in the pre-school world every day. I have used daycare for 15 years, so I have done it all, from hiring a nanny to a large commercial center. We have used family and friends and have used small private day cares. My family had a daycare when I was a teen, and in-laws had an in home daycare for many years. Some families have definitely made it work and I know there are some amazing people in the world who can do phenomenal things...but the thought of doing this, with an infant and older kids to home school.....is quite Daunting to me.

I think the OP said in the beginning she can only have 3 preschoolers +1 school age due to the law (10 including her own kids). So, to bring home $1,000 (business taxes and expense take about 1/2) you would need to make roughly $2,000 (the first year is always the most expensive). That would be $125 per week/child if you had 4 and if you are full all the time. That seems like a lot of work to earn $1,000!

I admire the OPs willingness to put her self out and to try to make it work for her hubby to be able to take this job, but I know for me it would be tooooo much (and I run a seriously busy schedule).

Can you tutor?

I know I've read your other posts talking about your dc with special reading needs...that experience and info and ability to TEACH them is valuable.

If it doesn't completely burn you out to teach your own dc;)....if you charge $25/hr for tutoring, that's 10hrs per week to make $1000/mo. You will likely have to start with one or two students, and build up a client base...but, you'd have to do that with childcare too.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

First, it isn't a matter *if* my dh can take this job - he has taken it and it is the best option he has had since we closed our business. I don't think there is another job out there that would pay more - wages in his type of work have dropped like a ROCK! Ten years ago my Dad had to pay $12 an hour for skilled labor and dh isn't even making that. There is room for advancement, but he has to wait for people to retire - most employees stay there forever. At least he has great benefits, regular hours, and isn't working in a kitchen.:tongue_smilie: About 3 months out of the year he gets to work 70-80 hours a week and is paid overtime.

The more you guys discuss this, the more I see how this won't work where we are, at least not in the normal sense. We really have *no* room. There are 8 of us already in 1300 square feet - adding a few more doesn't seem like much until I try to figure out where to put the toys. There is a lot of work to be done as well - finishing some painting, putting trim in, repairing the septic system, etc.

Besides, I have *3* children with varying learning issues that will hopefully be addressed soon. This will mean more time with therapies and doctor appointments. Their schooling does not involve much independence, especially the 7 and 9yo's.

The other ideas aren't bad, but they all involve me leaving home. Dh gets home about 4 pm (when he is working regular hours.) He doesn't want me gone. Yes, I realize that we don't have a lot of choices, but I am trying to figure out the best way to make more money and still meet his needs, too. His taking a regular second job is not a good option for various reasons, but maybe he could put the word out that he's available to fill in here and there. He is willing to work as many hours as necessary at his first job, so hopefully he will start getting put on special events during the regular year/off-season.

If I have to work, I wish it could be something I *enjoy* doing. Or at least something that pays well. I have an accounting background, but I don't have any contacts here and most of the people who would have used me in the past are out of business (all but one of my clients in NC are out of business!) I also can't really do much at home because of my ADD and the inability to concentrate when children are there.:tongue_smilie:

Thanks for giving me things to think about.

Personally, I wanted my child in preschool in the afternoon. That would possibly work better with schooling other children as well. In my state, if one does not have children in their home for a certain number of hours, consecutive days... then they can have more children total without restrictions.

Personally, I wanted my child in preschool in the afternoon. That would possibly work better with schooling other children as well. In my state, if one does not have children in their home for a certain number of hours, consecutive days... then they can have more children total without restrictions.

The state restrictions are not the problem - the total lack of space is. If I had a floor plan and pictures, you could see how we are shoe horned into this 1300 square foot trailer.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

If I have to work, I wish it could be something I *enjoy* doing. Or at least something that pays well.

I am not sure how the construction business is where you are but I had a new house cleaning business. I made more in few days then I could have if I worked all month long( I was cleaning 6000ft+ houses). Even smaller, typical homes you can make a few hundred dollars in just a couple of days. You can also do remodel jobs and apartment/rental house cleaning for when people move out of these places.

The plus for me was that I have kids old enough to watch my littles, but it might be worth it to pay a sitter for a few days to clean a house.

I don't see how she can clean houses or work outside the home at all with all the kids. What is she supposed to do with them if she's gone?

She could afford to pay a sitter to watch the kids for one or two days to clean a a house. I charged a minimum of $250 per house but most houses were higher than that. It was just a suggestion. I know she needs to do something and I thought cleaning a house a few times a month would be easier than working 40 hours a week.

She could afford to pay a sitter to watch the kids for one or two days to clean a a house. I charged a minimum of $250 per house but most houses were higher than that. It was just a suggestion. I know she needs to do something and I thought cleaning a house a few times a month would be easier than working 40 hours a week.
Actually it is very feasible. DH and I used to clean houses (under construction) together when DD was 4. We took her with us. It pays very, very good. It pays way more and takes way less time than cleaning a house someone lives in. It is easier too. You have to clean the tubs, sweep up the dust and scrape off the windows. My husband works for a drywall company. They are the ones who hire this out. I think they got wise and started paying less, but at the time we could make over $1000 per day.

I have thought about you a lot since last night. I put myself in the position of 'I have to make this work, how can I do it'. One thing that a friend did was to rent a very small office space and she turned it into a small daycare. That way she could deduct the entire cost from her taxes, and have it separate from her home. If you older kids are independent, would they be able to stay home by themselves and get some school done? This way you would have more openings for the littles, thus more $$. If you found a primo-location near office buildings, or on a popular bus route, or a very short walking distance to a private school (they usually don't bus) you may be able to make it work. If you really need to make money and you think it could be temporary you could postpone some of the littles school until you could get a business up and going.

Another friend moved to a new larger house, right in the middle of an expensive neighborhood, picking it specifically for its location and design to have a daycare. The increased mortgage was covered by the daycare income. It wasn't long before she hired a worker to handle the bulk of the children's needs and she moved about as needed.

Another thought is to find out if there are any small business grants available to help you out.

Or financial aid for you to go back to school and get your updated licence that may offer some extra money for living expenses.

I have one friend who does taxes for people. She homeschools but plans her year around being 'out of school' during that time. She makes enough in a very busy 3mths to offset her not working the rest of the year. I know that programs like Turbo Tax have hurt a lot of tax prepares though, so it may not be feasible.

I know another lady who cares for one child who is severely handicapped. It started because the mother needed a break during the day and turned into a full time job. It paid significantly more than regular daycare because of the child's disabilities and needs (feeding tubes and such). I don't know if you have any basic nurses training, but with your parental experience alone you may be able to find a situation that would work for you.

In our area substitute teachers don't make great pay but they do get paid more if the work in special needs classrooms. The don't need much education to qualify. I know you don't want to pay a sitter, but maybe you can qualify for some financial assistance for daycare if you are working. There are different grants in our area for people who work but are still lower income.

I really hope you find a solution that works for you. I wish everyone who was willing to work had an opportunity to do so.

Actually it is very feasible. DH and I used to clean houses (under construction) together when DD was 4. We took her with us. It pays very, very good. It pays way more and takes way less time than cleaning a house someone lives in. It is easier too. You have to clean the tubs, sweep up the dust and scrape off the windows. My husband works for a drywall company. They are the ones who hire this out. I think they got wise and started paying less, but at the time we could make over $1000 per day.

Yes! I dislike cleaning lived in houses too, but construction cleaning pays so well it is worth it.

How long would it take you to earn that $250? I am just trying to do the math. I figure that it would cost me $10 an hour (min.) to hire someone to take care of all 6 dc.

Not that there is any new construction here, but there may be some day!

Edited by Renee in FL

How long would it take you to earn that $250? I am just trying to do the math. I figure that it would cost me $10 an hour (min.) to hire someone to take care of all 6 dc.

Not that there is any new construction here, but there may be some day!

I think you could do an average 3 bedroom house in a day, maybe 2. The $250 was my base charge and it went up from there. You can charge by the sq ft or by the hour.