Menu

2nd/3rd grade level readers

AngieC

My daughter can currently pick up pretty much any level 2 reader and read it with ease (level 2.0-2.8) in one sitting in under 20 mins., depending on length. She also has read a Cam Jansen chapter book, but didn't enjoy it because it was too long for her (~60 pages, mostly type, but some pictures).

Could anyone offer suggestions in the late second grade range that are about twice as long as a typical level 2 book (such as Henry and Mudge, Frog & Toad, etc)? Also, I've looked for level 3 books, but they are not nearly as plentiful as level 2 readers.

Thanks for any help!

My dd could do the same at her age and we started picking up some non-fiction books which seemed to be more "wordy" and increased vocab, burt they also contained pictures which she still enjoyed. She still enjoys these types of books over a year later, but also picks up Chapter books. We do a lot of tag team reading. I like Barebooks a lot, especially http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Odysseus-Hugh-Lupton/dp/1841488003/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268271378&sr=8-1

I have a 1st and 2nd grader, so I understand that stage pretty well.

Have you looked at sonlight's Core 2 Readers? There's Readers 2, Readers 2 intermediate (probably where your daughter is right now) and Readers 2 Advanced (will be too difficult for her if she doesn't like Cam Jansen).

My daughter also had some resistance going from easy reader-type books into the short chapter books. Once she got interested in a couple of them, she really took off. I think Sonlight's Sword in the Tree was what took her off the "I can't get through it" platform.

Sonlight also talks about how some kids developmentally need to see more white space on the pages or they are overwhelmed. The Readers 2 Intermediate are supposed to be for kids who can read fairly well, but can't handle chapter books.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

No advice, but :bigear: -- because my 5 year old girl is in the same boat! :lol:

Actually, I do have one suggestion, don't know if it'll work. Perhaps you could try the Little House books with her. My girl LOVES reading these (she's just so fascinated with that butter churn). She's finished "Big Woods" and "Prairie" and is working through "Farmer Boy." But I admit that we've listened to them all on audiobook first (many times), and she practically has them memorized. :lol:

http://www.amazon.com/Little-House-Woods-Unabr-House/dp/0061365343/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268311313&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Little-House-Prairie-Low-Price/dp/0061563056/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268311342&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Farmer-Unabridged-Laura-Ingalls-Wilder/dp/B001C915HA/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268311392&sr=1-30

You might want to see if your library has these, they are WONDERFUL listening, and they encouraged my daughter to read the books.

Also available are the lovely "My First Little House" books, well worth getting and reading together (then you can leave them strategically strewn around ;)):

http://www.amazon.com/Summertime-Woods-First-Little-House/dp/0064434974/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268311485&sr=1-12

HTH! Thanks for posting this, I'll be :bigear:. We need suggestions around here, too!

I know exactly what you're talking about.... There are level 3 readers from I Can Read. There are also series called "All Aboard Reading" (I've got the one about Seabiscuit; it's wordy), and Step Into Reading. You might also want to try the DK readers or Hello reader! from Scholastic.

You might also like "Ready....Set.... Read!" and "Ready, Set, Read...and Laugh" as collections.

My dd could do the same at her age and we started picking up some non-fiction books which seemed to be more "wordy" and increased vocab, burt they also contained pictures which she still enjoyed. She still enjoys these types of books over a year later, but also picks up Chapter books. We do a lot of tag team reading. I like Barebooks a lot, especially http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Odysseus-Hugh-Lupton/dp/1841488003/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268271378&sr=8-1

We have enjoyed these Barefoot Books:

Tico Tango (rollicking poem about a greedy parrot)

Shakespeare's Storybook (comes with a CD)

Stories from the Opera

We're Riding on a Caravan (rollicking poem about a camel caravan on the Silk Road)

I know exactly what you're talking about.... There are level 3 readers from I Can Read. There are also series called "All Aboard Reading" (I've got the one about Seabiscuit; it's wordy), and Step Into Reading. You might also want to try the DK readers or Hello reader! from Scholastic.

You might also like "Ready....Set.... Read!" and "Ready, Set, Read...and Laugh" as collections.

:party:The DK readers are perfect! The Level 3 Hello Readers look perfect! The Step 3 Step-Into-Reading books are perfect, too! Thank you. :D

I would recommend the Julian books by Ann Cameron (The Stories Julian Tells, More Stories Julian Tells, The Stories Huey Tells, etc.) and books by Clyde Robert Bulla, which were written specifically to interest early readers.

Also, has she read the Magic Tree House or the Magic School Bus books?

Tara

Have you looked at sonlight's Core 2 Readers? There's Readers 2, Readers 2 intermediate (probably where your daughter is right now) and Readers 2 Advanced (will be too difficult for her if she doesn't like Cam Jansen).

:iagree:Intermediate is what you want (I think) - we are in the same boat. *Just* a step up from Frog & Toad is Mr. Putter & Tabby books (easy read but still *some* words that are challenging)

After the SL 2 Intermediate, I think we are going to do some Stepping Stones Classics (Last of the Mohicans, Alice in Wonderland, Treasure Island, etc.). It is at their level but only has a pic. every other pg. so may not be as enjoyable for young readers (I have been reading the pp. w/no pics and dd1 will read the pps. w/ pics).

I knew this board would have some great suggestions!

I've started researching some of the ideas already and I think I can find some challenging books for her.

It is definitely an issue of the amount of white space on the page, plus the size of the font.

Thanks again!