Menu

Help me find some videos to plunk my kids in front of, please

I am driving my 2 girls (9 and 5) to South Florida any day now (we're waiting for a new nephew). I've priced it both ways and apparently driving 32+ hours each way is much cheaper than flying 3 people and renting a car unless I have more advance notice. So, back to my question.

I need videos I can load into itunes and on my computer and watch for 64 or more hours. Please. The last couple of times we drove to Texas (16+ hours each way), the kids watched Martha Speaks, Word Girl, Magic School Bus, Popular Mechanics for Kids, Avatar the Last Air Bender, Kiki's Delivery Service, and My Neighbor Totoro. Something New would be awesome. I have a couple of new audio books I have been saving for the trip so I'm good there. I just need videos. Pretty please. Can you hear the desperation?

Thanks

Edited by Karen in CO
edited because Carrie is right hours not miles

I'm taking it you meant more than 32 miles :-) Princess Bride and what's the movie that starts out... Ever After? I love both of these as does my daughter.... Depends on what your 5 year old is use to listening to...

We always take lots of corn nuts (well, the best ones are the ones you pick up at fruit stands)...on driving trips & jerky.. and other fun treats... And ... did you check out the train?? There's a chance they're still on special right now... otherwise...

Have a great drive!

:-)

Edited by NayfiesMama
train...

I am driving my 2 girls (9 and 5) to South Florida any day now (we're waiting for a new nephew). I've priced it both ways and apparently driving 32+ miles each way is much cheaper than flying 3 people and renting a car unless I have more advance notice. So, back to my question.

I need videos I can load into itunes and on my computer and watch for 64 or more hours. Please. The last couple of times we drove to Texas (16+ hours each way), the kids watched Martha Speaks, Word Girl, Magic School Bus, Popular Mechanics for Kids, Avatar the Last Air Bender, Kiki's Delivery Service, and My Neighbor Totoro. Something New would be awesome. I have a couple of new audio books I have been saving for the trip so I'm good there. I just need videos. Pretty please. Can you hear the desperation?

Thanks

If they like Kiki and Totoro, try Cat Returns and Ponyo. Spirited Away is awesome and probably fine for your older one, but likely too intense for the younger. Have they seen the 90's movie version of The Secret Garden? The 90's version of A Little Princess is also one of my girl's all time favorites but some scenes might be too emotionally intense for a sensitive younger child.

Barb

Just remembered, Shaun the Sheep series by the creators of Wallace and Grommit is in my Netflix queue. I've not watched it yet but it looks hilarious.

We also LOVED Secondhand Lions. Really nothing wrong with it that I remember except maybe the crotchety old guy said one or two bad words. Maybe?

Two other old favorites: Homeward Bound and the Indian and the Cupboard.

Parent Trap? Either or both versions.

The motion picture version of Madeline from a few years back.

Mathilda has a lot of imitable behavior if your younger one is susceptible to that...but it's another of my kids favorites.

As always, please prescreen. YMMV as far as content. All are very good movies, and I'm trying to think of movies that have been consistent favorites across the spectrum of all of our female personalities, but I'd hate to recommend something you may not feel is appropriate for your family.

Barb

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

Thanks for recommending these. We haven't seen any of these. After looking at reviews Ponyo looks terrific for the girls so far - I'm slow at looking these things up. I've seen Spirited Away and agreed that its too much for the 5yo... I didn't know Madeline was a movie. And Homeward Bound will be perfect for them my dd9 has seen part of it already. Yipee. Now I just need to start a nice list so I can see which ones I can buy as a download somewhere and give a list to hubby to find some at the store . SIL is going to the doctor tomorrow so I am supposed to have a better idea of when we are leaving - she's 37 weeks.

I'm taking it you meant more than 32 miles :-) Princess Bride and what's the movie that starts out... Ever After? I love both of these as does my daughter.... Depends on what your 5 year old is use to listening to...

We always take lots of corn nuts (well, the best ones are the ones you pick up at fruit stands)...on driving trips & jerky.. and other fun treats... And ... did you check out the train?? There's a chance they're still on special right now... otherwise...

Have a great drive!

:-)

Thanks I fixed it - now nobody will every know that I wanted movies for a 32 mile trip. :lol:

I like Princess Bride but haven't seen it since college. Is it okay for little girls?

Train? Actually I can't get there from here on the train. They don't go in that direction. Really. I did just look. It costs more than a plane and I'd have to take a bus too. Which is too bad, because that would ahve been much more fun than driving. But I could take the train to Chicago ot DC or LA sometime. That would be awesome. Hmmm.... Now I need to plan an actual vacation too. :D

Thanks for recommending these. We haven't seen any of these. After looking at reviews Ponyo looks terrific for the girls so far - I'm slow at looking these things up. I've seen Spirited Away and agreed that its too much for the 5yo... I didn't know Madeline was a movie. And Homeward Bound will be perfect for them my dd9 has seen part of it already. Yipee. Now I just need to start a nice list so I can see which ones I can buy as a download somewhere and give a list to hubby to find some at the store . SIL is going to the doctor tomorrow so I am supposed to have a better idea of when we are leaving - she's 37 weeks.

Good luck! I'm actually jealous. We adore road trips and I've got a severe case of wanderlust right now. We have a pretty extensive movie collection we've amassed over the years. There were a lot of classics redone in the 90's when my olders were little and I like to have them on hand to rewatch. I'll take a peek at our collection tomorrow and I'll PM you if I've forgotten any favorites.

Oh! The 90's version of Little Women with Winona Rider and Susan Sarandan. Over many 5yo's heads, but if she's used to audiobooks, she probably has the attention span.

Have fun and snuggle that baby for me!

Barb

T

I like Princess Bride but haven't seen it since college. Is it okay for little girls?

My girls have been watching Princess Bride for years.

There are the ROUS - rodents of unusual size - they can be a little scary if your dd is susceptible to that.

I believe Count Rougan calls Inigo a b*stard. And Inigo calls Count Rougan a son of a b*tch. At least I think I got that right. It could be reversed or they call each other b*stards. :tongue_smilie: We quote this movie all the time, I really should know LOL. All I know is that the only scene that bothers me with language is when Inigo is stabbing Count Rougan :D

Do you have other ideas for them on the road other than movies? I did some things for the girls when we went to Florida in September if you would like me to share.

My DD5 loves the seasons of Scooby Doo. We have several of those.

How about a season of Little House on the Prarie? I know that my 5 year old loves the books we are reading....but we haven't watched the DVD's yet.

We have also recently purchased old animated seasons of Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, Mario and Luigi, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Duck Tales, and Talespin. These are all shows I watched as a kid and now they've put them into seasons on DVD's.

Both of my DD's love the Homeward Bound movies. Oh, and the Buddies movies....they are about a group of lab puppies. There's Space Buddies, Santa Buddies, Snow Buddies, and Air Buddies. Those are a big hit around here. Milo and Otis too.

And their newfound love is My Friends Tigger and Pooh. It's a TV series on Disney.

Our kids watched the entire Liberty's Kids series on the way from MI to SC and back last year. We just drove to FL 2 weeks ago and it was all about The Three Stooges and Animaniacs. A little less educational :glare:....unless you count the Animaniacs state capitals

!

"What are we going to do tonight, Brain?"

"The same thing we do every night, Pinky-Try to take over the world!"

American Girl movies?

How about a season of Little House on the Prarie? I know that my 5 year old loves the books we are reading....but we haven't watched the DVD's yet.

We have also recently purchased old animated seasons of Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, Mario and Luigi, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Duck Tales, and Talespin. These are all shows I watched as a kid and now they've put them into seasons on DVD's.

I'm a bit older than you, apparently ;) but speaking of shows on DVD? My kids love Land of the Lost! They are so funny and campy!

I'm a bit older than you, apparently ;) but speaking of shows on DVD? My kids love Land of the Lost! They are so funny and campy!

Oh my! Dd9 found a marathon on Sci Fi before the new movie came out. She watched hours of it. Totally ridiculous :lol: I also thought of Little Rascals.