Menu

Can I do this?

My freshmen finished Physical Science last year and is presently finishing Biology this year. Both of these were using Apologia.

But for her 10th grade year, before we hit Chemistry in 11th, we were thinking of doing something very different.

Can we do a 1/2 semester of Astronomy and then follow with a 1/2 semester of Geology. She LOVES two. Just LOVES them. Even has thought about being a geologist.

I have seen that AO has LifePacs for both of these. Not sure we would go that route. Still in the looking stage.

(DD is my "Wiggly Willie" hands on learner, if you are familiar with Cathy Duffy's book. She is always crocheting, knitting, cooking, digging in the dirt....making something.....She has thought about Elem Education, Geologist, Nutritionist.....But we are still in that thinking stage....I could even see her design clothes for a theatre company.....)

Just wondering about this.....

Blessings,

Brenda:001_smile:

As another Astronomy lover, I can identify with your child.

We did Astronomy this year...again (did very basic stuff in the 4th grade.) Mine is 13, now. We go to the observatory up the road when the weather is decent. It's our final fling before HS for us, but what we are covering is pretty much a college survey class for non-majors. I went over basic chemistry in the beginning of the year and delved into the nuclear fusion of stars, heavy and light elements, etc for her to have a bigger pic of what Astronomy is all about, then jumped into actual Astronomy with some light math (parsecs vs LY, parallax, etc.)

I don't see anything wrong with your plan as long as you get thru the lab classes req for HS. (the usual Chem/Bio/etc)

We're using the AO lifepacs. They're not bad, but not terrific, either. I use them more as a guide as she works though them. There are soooo many resources online, youtube, whatever. I use the guides also for experiements and project ideas, but mostly we use the observatory and a pair of binos.

On youtube there are movies and actual college lectures you can watch.

What was kinda scary was one particular college lecture on planets. Mine has known the info taught since about the 5th grade, and I really wonder what kids were learning in PS that they didn't already understand the basics of Astronomy that this class covered. Man! Frankly, what is in the AO lifepacs was deeper than the college lecture on youtube. Sad.

A drawback to the lifepacs is they're dated. They need to be revised IMHO; they're from 1998, and a TON has happened in Astronomy since then. But the good news is, there are TONs of websites with up-to-date info that a simple search can find that will complete your study.

We're into blackholes and quasars right now. :)

PS: We also picked up Standard Deviants Astronomy I & II for cheap and that helped some, also.

Take care,

Kim

My teen took Conceptual Physical Science as a 9th grader using Hewitt's book of that same title. In 10th, she did Chemistry with the MicroChem Kit for a lab at home. She had no particular interest in taking Biology, so in 11th grade she did three quarters of classes at the local Community College (Geology 101 and 102 as well as a Rocks and Minerals class). Each of these classes had a lab portion. In 12th grade, she did Environmental Science with lab at the community college. She did not run into any issues with the colleges to which she applied for not having the standard Biology, Chemistry, Physics triad. Currently she is at college considering majoring in Latin/the Classics and minoring in Geology.

All this to say, go with your daughter's interests.

Regards,

Kareni

My teen took Conceptual Physical Science as a 9th grader using Hewitt's book of that same title. In 10th, she did Chemistry with the MicroChem Kit for a lab at home. She had no particular interest in taking Biology, so in 11th grade she did three quarters of classes at the local Community College (Geology 101 and 102 as well as a Rocks and Minerals class). Each of these classes had a lab portion. In 12th grade, she did Environmental Science with lab at the community college. She did not run into any issues with the colleges to which she applied for not having the standard Biology, Chemistry, Physics triad. Currently she is at college considering majoring in Latin/the Classics and minoring in Geology.

All this to say, go with your daughter's interests.

Regards,

Kareni

Thank you for posting this! My daughter does not like science and was REALLY dreading Biology in high school. I think we may also look at different options as well. She would be thrilled!

Thank you for posting this! My daughter does not like science and was REALLY dreading Biology in high school. I think we may also look at different options as well. She would be thrilled!

You're welcome, Ann-Marie.

One caveat, do check with the specific colleges in which your child is interested. Some still do have specific requirements. The ten to which my daughter applied varied in their requirements but none demanded Biology.

Regards,

Kareni

You're welcome, Ann-Marie.

One caveat, do check with the specific colleges in which your child is interested. Some still do have specific requirements. The ten to which my daughter applied varied in their requirements but none demanded Biology.

Regards,

Kareni

Yes, I will be checking into that this year at our homeschool conference. Two of the colleges (actually, the only 2 right now) she is interested in will be there. I had planned on spending quite a bit of time at both booths.

Thanks again! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Can I do this?

My freshmen finished Physical Science last year and is presently finishing Biology this year. Both of these were using Apologia.

But for her 10th grade year, before we hit Chemistry in 11th, we were thinking of doing something very different.

Can we do a 1/2 semester of Astronomy and then follow with a 1/2 semester of Geology. She LOVES two. Just LOVES them. Even has thought about being a geologist.

Just wondering about this.....

Blessings,

Brenda:001_smile:

Sure you can do astronomy and geology for high school sciences.

My 9th grade Ds is doing geology now (just for fun) and is taking a dual credit astronomy course at CC over the summer. Next year for 10th grade he will be doing physics and chemistry. Now that weather is getting warmer I plan to add in geology field trips/labs.

My Ds loves science but is not into biology. I don't plan on him taking it for high school. He may have to do a life science course at college for general ed requirements and so he will take it then if needed. To get into college it isn't required.

The sciences Ds plans to cover in high school are: geology, astronomy, chemistry, physics, environmental science and maybe more... he loves science, except biology.

As my son began 9th grade, he wanted to dig into some topics of science that interested him. He completed these two books in one semester.

The Geology Book

http://www.newleafpublishinggroup.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=195&osCsid=e254030a834a0377553c44aed347bf36

The Astronomy Book

http://www.newleafpublishinggroup.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=187&osCsid=e254030a834a0377553c44aed347bf36

I was able to print study guides and answer keys for each book from the website for free.

These books are also available at www.rainbowresource.com

Ah, sorry I didn't get back to you, OP--

Astronomy Today is a textbook. You can incorporate math or not--we chose not to go the "mathy astronomy" route. It actually comes in two volumes, with some chapters overlapping--we did the stars and galaxies book, I think (I've since sold it). It has questions and even some activities (websites and such) after each chapter.

I don't have my WTM handy, but perhaps someone else can tell you the title of the book that goes along with the Self-Teaching Guide to Astronomy.