Menu

Government & Economics...Not Rigorous

Let be be upfront and say that we are only doing these courses because we have to, so I'm looking for something quick and easy that would count as 1/2 credit each. It also needs to be inexpensive.

While I would prefer something secular, I've been told School of Tomorrow Paces would be quick and easy with minimal writing (my child struggles immensely with it). The description for Economics says it is from a biblical viewpoint, so I will pass on that, but the Civics does not mention any biblical perspective. Does anyone know if it is secular?

How about the Uncle Eric series...Whatever Happened to Penny Candy?, A Bluestocking Guide to Economics, etc. They have good reviews on Amazon.

If you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

If I messed up posting in any way, please forgive me as I am new to this whole forum thing.

Edited by oujisan
Forgot some information

I've seen this book recommended several times for a one-semester American Government class. If we do Government, it's probably the one we'll use. It seems thorough, concise, secular, and easy to read, and it's inexpensive:

http://www.amazon.com/American-Government-Coursebook-Ethel-Wood/dp/0669467952/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IWWNPF2P7SGGF&colid=4AKY633ZFXP7

Jackie

I am teaching Government and Econimics this year. I used two books that were very inexpensive, thorough, but completely understandable and not difficult. The books were The Complete Idiot's Guide to American Government and Economics for Dummies. These are secular books but will do an easy but thorough job for you. They are not textbooks and most of my students found they actually like the subjects:). That is because the books have an easy attitude about them.

I've seen this book recommended several times for a one-semester American Government class. If we do Government, it's probably the one we'll use. It seems thorough, concise, secular, and easy to read, and it's inexpensive:

http://www.amazon.com/American-Government-Coursebook-Ethel-Wood/dp/0669467952/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IWWNPF2P7SGGF&colid=4AKY633ZFXP7

Jackie

Both my older children used this book. I added some Uncle Eric books, newspaper/magazine articles for some current events and lots of discussion. Each girl did have to write a paper at the end, though. I did not think that just reading was enough, even for a 1/2 credit class.

Maybe you could come up with a paper/project that would challenge more than frustrate him?

Could he track certain polls and do a short paper on the results? Design his own poll and administer it on Facebook?

Choose a topic that really interests him? For example, my 16yo is writing her paper now and it is on Digital Media Rights, which is a giant interest of hers. He can choose a hot topic that he cares about or analyze a court case or read/write about a politician/policy he loves/loathes. My children always write better when they care about the topic!

Get involved in a local race? Interview some of your local politicians?

Write several short summaries instead of one big paper?

BTW, I am totally sure that the SOT Gov't paces will be from a biblical perspective.

Oh - Economics. I have only done this one once but I will probably choose a similar approach next time. My oldest read a textbook (ABeka, but you can choose one that approaches Economics from you own pov) and some other books - Uncle Eric and...I am not sure what else. We had already read the Communist Manifesto together so we reviewed that a little bit. Then I had her read Atlas Shrugged and write a paper on it. We did discuss a lot and, while I know that she has totally forgotten a lot of the technical information, she has a much better understanding of how things work.

HTH!

Edited by Liza Q

Both my older children used this book. I added some Uncle Eric books, newspaper/magazine articles for some current events and lots of discussion. Each girl did have to write a paper at the end, though. I did not think that just reading was enough, even for a 1/2 credit class.

Did you use the activity book?

If anyone is interested, I have this for sale on the sale and swap board.

Regards,

Kareni

Wow! You are all so helpful.

I don't know why I never think of the For Dummies and Idiot's Guide series. I use them to learn new computer programs.

My son has helped get an initiative on the ballot in our state, so he has some hands on experience. Writing is really an issue. He has fine motor problems as well as being dyslexic and dysgraphic. I'm planning on starting a thread about writing curricula later as it is my biggest concern. But he might be able to handle shorter writing assignments such as summaries. I don't know why that never occurred to me.

Also, thanks for the heads up on SOT. Believe it or not, most of the curricula we use seems to come from Christian publishers but it doesn't always include religious beliefs.

Jackie

Does it come with questions and answers in it?

thanks.

I'd like to hear from someone who has used the activity book.

Hi,

I have the activity book for Great Source American Government. I had my son do one activity about every 2 weeks. If you have any other questions about it, I can dig out the book and try to answer them.

While it wasn't the most exciting study in the world, it covered the bases for my future engineer. He did it independently. All I did was grade the tests (multiple choice with 1 essay question) and the activities.

Brenda

thanks, Brenda.

What were the activities like? Questions, worksheets, charts to fill in, etc? How did you know what the correct answers were -- did you have to dig thru the reading yourself, or did you have some sort of answer key? Did you feel that along with the reading of the text that was sufficient for a very basic government half-credit?

Were the tests in the teacher's guide? Did the teacher's guide provide other valuable information?

Thanks for your help. My middle son will be a senior this year, and like the OP I'd like to find something that gets the job done.

Hi Laura,

The Teacher's Guide breaks the course into 48 separate "topics". Each of these covers several pages in the textbook (varies a lot, the ones I spot-checked were 4, 8, 11, 20 pages in length).

For each topic, the teacher's guide contains:

1. some introductory material and discussion questions

2. one page study guide that the student can fill in with fill-in-the-blank and multiple choice answers

3. a one page test with multiple choice questions (10) and 1 essay question. The answers to the tests are in the back of the teacher's guide.

I scheduled this course for my son to cover 3 topics each week. Mon-Wed: for each topic, I had him read the book, fill in the study guide, and take notes in a notebook. Then on Thursday, I had him take all 3 tests and do one of the activities. I let him take the tests open notes, but not open book. I wanted to encourage him to take good notes.

The activity book has 1 activity for each "topic". Some of them are more suited to groups, but I was able to find 1 to have him do each week that was able to be done independently. Here is a random sample of some of the things he did:

1. surfing party platforms -- teacher assigns student an issue to research. student visits websites of major parties (they suggest democrat, republican, green, reform, libertarian) to see what each says about the issue.

2. standing committee work -- book has a proposed bill. Student is supposed to decide whether the bill should be amended, killed, or totally rewritten. Student is to write a statement justifying his/her position.

3. Getting to know the supreme court -- student is assigned a justice to research. Look up his/her home state, age, birthplace, family, year appointed, education, previous judgeships, legal experience, political leanings. In a group, each student would research a different justice and compare their findings. Since we didn't have a group, I had him look up the info on several of the justices so he could answer the questions about what typical experience a person would have to be considered for the role of supreme court justice.

4. Comparable worth -- background and a doctrine on comparable worth are provided. Arguments are presented "For" the doctrine and "Against" the doctrine. The student is asked to read both arguments and then write a 1-page position paper explaining his/her view.

The activity book does not have an "answer key". The activity book also has a series of activities A - X called "Extended Activities". These are longer activities that seem more suited to group work. One is called "Mock Trial", another is called "Flat Tax".

My son enjoyed the course and found it interesting. I thought that the activities gave a nice variety of tasks, and they helped the student to become more "connected" with the political process than just reading a textbook. I definitely think the work was worthy of 1/2 credit.

HTH,

Brenda

Jackie

We're using the American Government textbook from Great Source you linked this year, but I wouldn't say it's "fast" -- it's actually pretty packed with info, topics and loads of definitions. We're only putting in 2 hours a week on this text and still will not finish. I'd say the amount of info in it is enough for a full credit of government. Perhaps just pick-and-choose you way through it to make it a one-semester course...? We're skimming the text and learning notetaking skills, and then I make up a quiz at the end of each chapter, mostly based on the new vocabulary.

It's a little drier than I'd hoped for, too -- wish we'd gone with the Idiot's Guide to Government. We did read the Uncle Eric books of Penny Candy and Are You Liberal Conservative Confused, which are at a middle school level, and from such an extreme viewpoint that they're more for fun rather than really useful as curriculum.

Another thought: our 2 DSs earned quite a few hours towards Government through participation in Youth & Government this year -- a MUCH more fun way of learning government by DOING it! Most states have a Y&G program; you can check your local YMCA branch, as the program is run through the Y; students meet once a week over the semester and learn how to lobby, write a bill, etc., and then at the end of the semester go to their state capital and actually participate in a 2 or 3 day mock legislation session. VERY fun!

BEST of luck finding what works for your family! Warmly, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
added info

We're using the American Government textbook from Great Source you linked this year, but I wouldn't say it's "fast" -- it's actually pretty packed with info, topics and loads of definitions. We're only putting in 2 hours a week on this text and still will not finish.

Have you been using it for 2 hours a week for the whole year or just a semester? Thanks for letting me know it's on the dry side. I'll have to see if I can get it through the library to check it out.

We did read the Uncle Eric books of Penny Candy and Are You Liberal Conservative Confused, which are at a middle school level, and from such an extreme viewpoint that they're more for fun rather than really useful as curriculum.

Can you elaborate more on the extreme viewpoint? You can PM me if you'd like.

Another thought: our 2 DSs earned quite a few hours towards Government through participation in Youth & Government this year

Sounds fun, but my son does better with books, he does not enjoy hands on learning.

Two ideas for fast government:

- book: The Complete Idiot's guide to Government

- free online: Hippocampus = http://www.hippocampus.org/American%20Government

Ideas for economics:

- The Complete Idiot's Guide to Economics

- Economics for Dummies

- consumer math course (personal economics of budgeting, taxes, loans, etc.)

Looks like the Complete Idiot's Guide and For Dummies books are popular options. I was at the library today and forgot to pick them up. Oh well, I have some movies that have to go back at the end of the week so I can pick them up then.

Are the teacher's guides in pdf format as well? Also, does the password expire after a certain amount of time?

I've only looked at the first unit of the Economics teacher's guide. It is in PDF format, with each unit a separate file. The TG has LOTS of suggested activities -- over 50 for the first unit -- some of which are better suited for a classroom situation, but I saw several that would work well with an individual student. There is an assessment at the end of the unit, as well as answers to the practice exercises in the student text.

There wasn't any mention of the password expiring. But I was able to save the PDF file to my hard drive. The password gives me access to all of the TGs online.

I really think this is going to be a good fit for us for Economics next year.

Hi,

I have the activity book for Great Source American Government. I had my son do one activity about every 2 weeks. If you have any other questions about it, I can dig out the book and try to answer them.

While it wasn't the most exciting study in the world, it covered the bases for my future engineer. He did it independently. All I did was grade the tests (multiple choice with 1 essay question) and the activities.

Brenda

Maybe I am needing more coffee this a.m., but I followed the link to the Great Source book, but didn't see an accompanying activity manual???

ETA! Okay, I found the teacher's guide, but not a separate workbook???

Edited by Hoggirl

Hi Cynthia,

Here are the ISBNs for the 3 books that I have:

Student text: 0669467952

Teacher's Guide: 0669467987

Activity Book: 0669467995

I have a friend who is a rep with Great Source, so I was able to get the books through her many years ago. I'm not sure if they are available through the publisher now, but amazon seems to have at least some copies of all 3.

Brenda

Hi Cynthia,

Here are the ISBNs for the 3 books that I have:

Student text: 0669467952

Teacher's Guide: 0669467987

Activity Book: 0669467995

I have a friend who is a rep with Great Source, so I was able to get the books through her many years ago. I'm not sure if they are available through the publisher now, but amazon seems to have at least some copies of all 3.

Brenda

Much appreciated!

There wasn't any mention of the password expiring. But I was able to save the PDF file to my hard drive. The password gives me access to all of the TGs online.

Sounds good. I guess I better email and ask for a password so I can check it out.

Ideas for economics:

- The Complete Idiot's Guide to Economics

- Economics for Dummies

- consumer math course (personal economics of budgeting, taxes, loans, etc.)

I forgot to ask, do you have a suggestion for a consumer math course? I was planning on doing one, but it never occurred to me to use it as part of economics.

Maybe you could come up with a paper/project that would challenge more than frustrate him?

Could he track certain polls and do a short paper on the results? Design his own poll and administer it on Facebook?

Choose a topic that really interests him? For example, my 16yo is writing her paper now and it is on Digital Media Rights, which is a giant interest of hers. He can choose a hot topic that he cares about or analyze a court case or read/write about a politician/policy he loves/loathes. My children always write better when they care about the topic!

Get involved in a local race? Interview some of your local politicians?

Write several short summaries instead of one big paper?

BTW, I am totally sure that the SOT Gov't paces will be from a biblical perspective.

Oh - Economics. I have only done this one once but I will probably choose a similar approach next time. My oldest read a textbook (ABeka, but you can choose one that approaches Economics from you own pov) and some other books - Uncle Eric and...I am not sure what else. We had already read the Communist Manifesto together so we reviewed that a little bit. Then I had her read Atlas Shrugged and write a paper on it. We did discuss a lot and, while I know that she has totally forgotten a lot of the technical information, she has a much better understanding of how things work.

HTH!

Which specific UE books did you add?

tHANKS

• 1 month later...
Have you been using it for 2 hours a week for the whole year or just a semester? Thanks for letting me know it's on the dry side. I'll have to see if I can get it through the library to check it out.

re: Great Source American Government textbooks

About 1-2 hours a week for the entire school year. There are 20 chapters; we will get through about 15 of them by the end of the year. And that is by me skimming/lecturing and DSs practicing note taking, and then when we finish a chapter, they review/study their notes and take a quiz I make for the chapter.

Can you elaborate more on the extreme viewpoint? You can PM me if you'd like.

re: Whatever Happened to Penny Candy

The author is very upfront about his worldview (which is always good, so you know what you're in for), but his view is very extreme in that he repeatedly states that the only "workable" political and economic system is juris naturalist (little or no government) and free markets. Nothing wrong with holding those views, but let's face it, you cannot solve the world's problems with solely an economic solution, which is what he proposes.

I forgot to ask, do you have a suggestion for a consumer math course? I was planning on doing one, but it never occurred to me to use it as part of economics.

We used a Christian math textbook program: Abeka Consumer Math.

You have to look at what your state requirements say about the Economics credit -- some do NOT permit "personal finance" materials to count toward an Economics credit. BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

Which specific UE books did you add?

tHANKS

(ditto Lori ;))

For Gov't. I had them read Are you Liberal, Conservative or Confused and Whatever Happened to Justice. I used the Penny Candy book as an introduction to Eco. And I know that we read a book of his on Rome, probably when we were doing Ancient History.

I have looked at this website and really like it. Has anyone used this site before? I have a question about the math section, there is several as in Math 1, Math 2, Math 3. There is also mathe called Liberal Arts Math. Can anyone tell me what ages these are for? I understand the pre-algebra section and algebra. There is also something called algebra 1a and algebra 1b. Would you think it was for someone to break algebra into 2 years? Also would the Liberal Arts Math be a complete review for all of the maths? I know these are lots of questions, but I was looking for a complete review for my son that will be in 12th grade this coming year. He is not going to college and really does not need another math but I want to make sure he knows everything he should know by giving him a year of total review. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Karen

re: Great Source American Government textbooks

About 1-2 hours a week for the entire school year. There are 20 chapters

re: Whatever Happened to Penny Candy

The author repeatedly states that the only "workable" political and economic system is juris naturalist (little or no government) and free markets.

Thank you for the additional information. It is very helpful. No worries about the consumer math in our case as homeschoolers aren't required to meet any particular requirements in my state other than to teach math, language, science and social studies.