Menu

I am giddy with excitement

So My folks put the offer in on a house last week (which I posted about). The offer was accepted, and yesterday was the home inspection. The inspection showed some important but simple things that have to be fixed asap, but they were cheap and simple enough to fix my dad lifted the the condition of the inspector, put down the deposit and submitted all the paper work needed by the bank and lawyers to finalize the whole thing. We have already been approved for the mortgage, and basically are now just waiting the 30 days for the lawyers to do their thing. Bottom line: THE HOUSE IS MINE!!!!!

Up until this point I have only been talking to my dad about this, as twice between last Aug and the purchase of this house, my mom got angry with me and pulled the plug on them buying one.

Yesterday she went with my dad, and when I spoke to her last night, she pretty much killed my buzz. SHe was so critical of the home, the yard, the town, claimed she knows 100% I will hate the small town and hate being in a small house with my kids all the time yada yada yada. Then she started listing all the cosmetic things to be done to make the home suitable for 5 people. (The home is already suitable, but she does not believe we can live with only 1 bathroom, and thinks it is insane that I plan to park outside and use my garage as an indoor play space for bad weather days etc). I was feeling very down about the whole thing after talking to her.

Today my dad called me to go over the inspection report. Turns out my mom exagerated about several points. He thought my plans for the house were perfect, and better than the stuff my mom was planning out. He got me excited again about the whole process and what I can do with the place etc. If my mom starts talking about all the plans she wants to implement, he is going to remind her that while they put the deposit down and it is their names on the mortgage, this is my home and I am the one both paying the mortgage each month as well as making a payment each month to pay them back for the deposit amount. He will remind her that any changes that are going to be planned for this home will be up to me and me alone as it will be based on what I want in my home kwim. My dad and I do not talk much, and when we do it tends to be about television shows, so all of this is so huge. I am so so lucky to have him as my dad.

I can not believe this is actually happening! I never dreamed I would have the opportunity to be a home owner. (I actually had an evil laugh moment when I realized that I will own a home and my ex-h[well technically estranged h] will not for many many years to come. THe evil laugh was because for the first 6 years he did not pay support because he wanted his Harley, and trips and leather furniture etc. and we went without anything for all those years. Now I will have something more substantial than him and I am so greatful for it)

Congrats!

And if it helps any...we have 6 people, 4 cats, and a medium-sized dog in a 1200 square foot, 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom house. We're doing just fine with one bathroom. And we don't have a usable garage; ours is only suitable as a shed so we park on the street.

Congrats!

And if it helps any...we have 6 people, 4 cats, and a medium-sized dog in a 1200 square foot, 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom house. We're doing just fine with one bathroom. And we don't have a usable garage; ours is only suitable as a shed so we park on the street.

That's what I like to hear. This house we are moving into is right around 1000sq ft, 3 bdrms, 1 bathroom(I am currently in a 1200sq ft place with 1.5 bathrooms so we are downsizing). The main difference for us will be basement space. My current home has a full basement, so that works as storage, laundry, playroom etc. The new house has a dug out basment with only 6' ceilings that has been sealed off. Good for storage but not for play. The garage is an oversized single, with electricity and running water in it, plus cupboards and counters around 3 of the walls(the previous owners had a workshop out there). SO it is perfect as an indoor play space. In the winter I will put in a space heater or two and we will be set. The kids have have their gym mats and balance beam out there, the air hockey table, riding toys etc (heck even in our current place I do not have the space to have those things set up all the time).

There is also a bizarre little room in the house, that seems to have been a dressing room or something, but it will be our new craft room. It will have the sewing machine, scrapbook stuff, kids easel etc. It will be perfect as that room as a sink and a huge closet but is otherwise an open room.

With my mom it is a difference in perspective. SHe loves the suburbs, and can not understand why anyone would want to live in a small town. TO her being 'away from it all' is bad, where as for me it is a dream come true. I have lived in small towns before and loved it, I hate the city with ever fiber of my being.

She is also the type of person who thinks you are not truly living without multiple bathrooms, tvs, a/c etc. In her home right now she has 3.5 bathrooms and 4 tv's. It is only her and my dad living there. You should have heard her comments when I cancelled cable here lol. We just are opposite on so much. Up until now it is has "only" been about life style choices, parenting, careers, appearances, and spouses. NOw we have another thing to add, housing/town.

I am back to being super excited and not going to let her kill my buzz again. This is going to me my new home. I am getting my dream of moving my kids out of this insane city and to a small town(technically village). I get my clothes line! And I get to own my own home. Life can't get much better at this point.

I am so happy for you!!!!!! And, your dad sounds wonderful!!!!! And, no doubt, your mom will get on board....but the important thing is that this is so great for you and your kids!

As for space -- don't give it a second thought -- we lived in 350 sq ft with two bedrooms, one bathroom, tiny living room, and miniscule kitchen when we were in the hotel -- 2 adults, 3 children and ONE dog_drooling.gif. We had three windows, two closets, and we really managed just fine -- and we homeschooled. CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

That is so awesome!! I'm so happy for you! I've read your posts over these last months and I have to say that you really deserve it. You've been through so much. I hope that your new home affords you much peace and tranquility and joy with your children. God bless you!! :grouphug: And for what it's worth, my house is tiny too with 2 bedrooms, one full bathroom and a half bath downstairs for 4 people (both of my kids are special needs as well) and we manage just fine. Where there is a will there is a way they say. And we don't even have a garage! :) Enjoy your new home. :) :hurray: :party:

So My folks put the offer in on a house last week (which I posted about). The offer was accepted, and yesterday was the home inspection. The inspection showed some important but simple things that have to be fixed asap, but they were cheap and simple enough to fix my dad lifted the the condition of the inspector, put down the deposit and submitted all the paper work needed by the bank and lawyers to finalize the whole thing. We have already been approved for the mortgage, and basically are now just waiting the 30 days for the lawyers to do their thing. Bottom line: THE HOUSE IS MINE!!!!!

Up until this point I have only been talking to my dad about this, as twice between last Aug and the purchase of this house, my mom got angry with me and pulled the plug on them buying one.

Yesterday she went with my dad, and when I spoke to her last night, she pretty much killed my buzz. SHe was so critical of the home, the yard, the town, claimed she knows 100% I will hate the small town and hate being in a small house with my kids all the time yada yada yada. Then she started listing all the cosmetic things to be done to make the home suitable for 5 people. (The home is already suitable, but she does not believe we can live with only 1 bathroom, and thinks it is insane that I plan to park outside and use my garage as an indoor play space for bad weather days etc). I was feeling very down about the whole thing after talking to her.

Today my dad called me to go over the inspection report. Turns out my mom exagerated about several points. He thought my plans for the house were perfect, and better than the stuff my mom was planning out. He got me excited again about the whole process and what I can do with the place etc. If my mom starts talking about all the plans she wants to implement, he is going to remind her that while they put the deposit down and it is their names on the mortgage, this is my home and I am the one both paying the mortgage each month as well as making a payment each month to pay them back for the deposit amount. He will remind her that any changes that are going to be planned for this home will be up to me and me alone as it will be based on what I want in my home kwim. My dad and I do not talk much, and when we do it tends to be about television shows, so all of this is so huge. I am so so lucky to have him as my dad.

I can not believe this is actually happening! I never dreamed I would have the opportunity to be a home owner. (I actually had an evil laugh moment when I realized that I will own a home and my ex-h[well technically estranged h] will not for many many years to come. THe evil laugh was because for the first 6 years he did not pay support because he wanted his Harley, and trips and leather furniture etc. and we went without anything for all those years. Now I will have something more substantial than him and I am so greatful for it)

What a blessing! this is great!

I am assuming that you have a contract of rent/purchase or some sort with you parents? It is so important to have it all down on paper so that if something would happen to one of them you would still be secure with your home. So many people feel secure because after all it is mom and dad but that in and of itself has not security.

Enjoy your new home.:D

I am assuming that you have a contract of rent/purchase or some sort with you parents? It is so important to have it all down on paper so that if something would happen to one of them you would still be secure with your home. So many people feel secure because after all it is mom and dad but that in and of itself has not security.

:iagree:Please, please, please make sure there are legal documents drawn up outlining what you told us above. You really don't want the house to become a bargaining chip for your mom, or there to be any confusion with it to create a barrier with your dad. For everyone's good get it in writing!

AND CONGRATULATIONS :party:

Mary

Yes I am. My dad and I are drawing up a contract stipulating each of our responsibilities in this, title transferance once paid off etc. This is one area my mom has said is strictly between dad and I so she will have no input into it. There is no way I would do this without a contract as I know my mom and her way of punishing me when she doesn't like whatever about me.

Yes I am. My dad and I are drawing up a contract stipulating each of our responsibilities in this, title transferance once paid off etc. This is one area my mom has said is strictly between dad and I so she will have no input into it.

I am glad to here this. It is always best to do this.

There is no way I would do this without a contract as I know my mom and her way of punishing me when she doesn't like whatever about me.

I am sorry to hear this. A parent shouldn't feel that they have the right to govern or punish or manipulate, etc their adult children. As parents we can many times see our grown children doing things that we may feel is not the best choice but they are adults and unless asked for our opinion, it is our job to be quiet, support when we can and if you are a prayer, pray for them to have wisdom and understanding.

I hope that somehow your mom can come to this understanding and that your relationship can be healed.

Hooray!!!! So thrilled for youand your kiddos!

It's a happy ending in the works for you...I love small towns and have lived in one all my life until we recently moved to LA. Now it's 5 people in 900sqft and 1 bath....you can do it! I thinkthe garage sounds wonderful!

Michele in CA

That's what I like to hear. This house we are moving into is right around 1000sq ft, 3 bdrms, 1 bathroom(I am currently in a 1200sq ft place with 1.5 bathrooms so we are downsizing). The main difference for us will be basement space. My current home has a full basement, so that works as storage, laundry, playroom etc. The new house has a dug out basment with only 6' ceilings that has been sealed off. Good for storage but not for play. The garage is an oversized single, with electricity and running water in it, plus cupboards and counters around 3 of the walls(the previous owners had a workshop out there). SO it is perfect as an indoor play space. In the winter I will put in a space heater or two and we will be set. The kids have have their gym mats and balance beam out there, the air hockey table, riding toys etc (heck even in our current place I do not have the space to have those things set up all the time).

There is also a bizarre little room in the house, that seems to have been a dressing room or something, but it will be our new craft room. It will have the sewing machine, scrapbook stuff, kids easel etc. It will be perfect as that room as a sink and a huge closet but is otherwise an open room.

That sounds like a great set up. The garage sounds perfect, as does the craft room.

We have what would have been a parlor (11 x 12 feet approximately) that serves as our school room, craft room, and game room. It also houses the dog's kennel and a computer for the kids.

Our garage has electricity but it isn't attached or weather proof. We don't even use it for the car because it is nearly impossible to open the door for the car. It's full of lawn care stuff, trash, and spiders.

Our basement is a dirt cellar, with half of it concrete. Our washer, dryer, furnace, and hot water tank are down there but everything is up off the ground because it floods during rainy times.

I think you will be fine in your new home. Don't let her get you down.

We have 3 adults, 3 children from 6-10, & 1 infant in a 4 bedroom, 1 bath, house. The 4th bedroom changes purpose with time, now it's needed as a bedroom.

My one recommendation is to always have the sink in your craft room available to wash hands & faces in case the bathroom is tied up. Maybe even have toothbrushes available there if everyone needs to get to bed, or out the door at the same time.

We have 3 adults, 3 children from 6-10, & 1 infant in a 4 bedroom, 1 bath, house. The 4th bedroom changes purpose with time, now it's needed as a bedroom.

My one recommendation is to always have the sink in your craft room available to wash hands & faces in case the bathroom is tied up. Maybe even have toothbrushes available there if everyone needs to get to bed, or out the door at the same time.

That's a great idea! Plus it will eliminate that yuckiness of toothbrushes in the bathroom.

The garage is detached but I think we will survive the run from the backdoor to the side door on the garage even in the coldest weather. It will beat having no space to burn energy on the bad weather days.