Menu

What is the SOTW equivalent for dialectic and rhetoric?

staceyobu

Susan Wise Bauer is currently writing a set of history books for high school/adult level that corresponds to the sequence in SOTW. I just finished the first one, The History of the Ancient World. It was fascinating, and well written in a narrative style. I've heard that the next one, The History of the Medieval World just came out, and she's working on two more volumes.

Just adding to the previous post--For logic stage,

she recommends using a history encyclopedia and going thru it methodically, outlining the content, and adding in literature. She has the procedure and the lists in WTM. The outlines start very simply--5th graders only do a one-level outline (just pick the main idea from each paragraph) and all do a timeline.

This continues somewhat in rhetoric stage. Spielvogel's Western Civ is the spine of choice (but I'll bet the next edition of WTM comes out with her own books as the spine of choice), and you add in Great Books. Again, the directions are in the WTM book.

Have you read it? It's GREAT! :D

Susan Wise Bauer is currently writing a set of history books for high school/adult level that corresponds to the sequence in SOTW. I just finished the first one, The History of the Ancient World. It was fascinating, and well written in a narrative style. I've heard that the next one, The History of the Medieval World just came out, and she's working on two more volumes.

I agree that they are *wonderful* books, and they are chronological. But they don't really correspond to SOTW chapter by chapter. You would have to use one or the other out of sequence to keep them on the same topic.

(ETA: Maybe that's not what you meant. I am answering from my perspective of having both a high schooler and a middle schooler doing "Ancients" but not studying the same topic each week. This is the first year I haven't used SOTW to coordinate their studies following the logic stage suggestions for the older one. It is good in one way, because my high schooler is able to study things much more deeply than he would be if the younger one was tagging along. But, it takes more of my time - both planning and implementing - and we can never do history all together. <Sniff!! Sniff!!!>)

Edited by Rhondabee

Thanks for the recommendation, Kai.

I know SWB did some writing for the history lessons in K12--did she do the logic stage stuff for that organization? How similar is it to SOTW?

I find the thought of actually doing the encyclopedia a little...dry.

I'm pretty sure SWB's involvement with K12 was limited to the elementary history sequence and that she didn't have any involvement with the middle grades series.

The Human Odyssey series is similar to SOTW in that it attempts to be a coherent narrative. It follows ideas through time and it relates interesting stories and tells about interesting personalities.

It is *way* better than a history encyclopedia.

Do you have to do K12 in order to use Human Odyssey?

You don't have to use K12 to use the Human Odyssey, though there are no end of chapter questions included in the text (I'm assuming the comprehension questions are included in the online portion). I actually find the lack of questions refreshing.

I find that ideas for good essay questions seem to ooze from the books even without the questions.