Menu

We are in a shelter....

**** snow had to take out our power! we hoped to get it back but its just too cold for the kids to sleep through it.....so here we are. we were given water and dry ice this am for the groceries, but come on this is too much! we will head home tomarrow for some showers and see whats going on. we were told it cold be days though :(

Any chance you could buy a kerosene heater and go back home (just for comfort sake)? Our house is really big, so when the electricity goes off, we fire up the kerosene heater and all pile up in the living room (it is an open floor plan with living, kitchen, and dining all in one). We close the other doors off the room, put a blanket up over the entry way, and sleep on the air mattresses on the floor. It isn't exactly wonderful, but it is definitely better than leaving home, I think. Our heater only cost around $150. If you go this route, just make sure it has the removable tank. You dont' want to be dumping kerosene in a hot heater in your house! LOL Ask me how I know??? (or, don't. :P)

I don't think you'll be able to shower without electricity. At least not a hot shower!

Yep...all you will get is whatever was in the hot water tank when the lights went out...and by the time you get home again in 24 or more hours since it went off, the water in the tank will no longer be "hot." If they have showers at the shelter or if you have relatives or friends with electricity, that would be your best bet for showers.