Menu

What is the best yeast to buy in bulk?

lynn

I purchase the fleishman inidividual packages when I know I won't be baking frequently but I want to start baking more, what is a good yeast to purchase and how long will it last after being opened?

Most packages have an expiration date of a year or so, I believe, but I have to say that I've had a bag I bought from Costco several years ago. It's been in the back of my fridge ever since, and it still works perfectly well. I just made bread the other day, and when I proofed it, it nearly overflowed the little cup I put it in! It's Red Star brand.

I buy mine from Sam's Club. It's less than $5 for 2 pounches of it. I open one and dump it into a plastic container to store in the fridge. I should probably store the other one in the freezer, but I just shove it into the farrrrr back of my fridge. :p It lasts quite a long time. I don't bake bread everyday, but I do make pizza every week and use yeast in other things a couple of times a week. I think I've bought 2 pkgs. in the last year.

I get the two back from Sam's as well. The opened one gets dumped into a ziplock and I keep it in the freezer, the unopened one I just leave on the shelf since they are vacuum packed. I recently found one stuff in the back of the cupboard that was a year past it's expiration date. I opened it and have been using it ever since. I've had no problems with it. I think the vaccum sealed foiled packs are just as good as the freezer for longevity. It's how you store once it's opened that counts.