Menu

Independent Bible Study for grammar aged kids (boys)...

We have Bible/prayer time as a family, but my 9yo has expressed an interest in doing a Bible study on his own. Do you have any suggestions? :confused:

Some details:

He reads/comprehends at a high level, but I would like the subject matter to stay around his age.

He wants to be a missionary.

He is in AWANA so he is memorizing scripture that way.

I am thinking along the lines of: Reading a passage and answering questions about it or some sort of character type study.

Thanks for your help! :D

We love, love, love the Kay Arthur's children's series. They go through the Scripture itself with an inductive study, and it's engaging but meaty. It is broken down by Day 1, Day 2, etc. There is a whole series of them on different books of the Bible, but I would suggest starting with the one "Wrong Way, Jonah." There is one about "how to study the Bible for yourself for kids" or some such title-stay away from that one because it's very very dry.

I can't recommend this series highly enough, as it got dd (last yr when she was 9) into studying the Word on her own and being excited about it! It would certainly appeal to boys too.

Here's a link with samples:

http://www.christianbook.com/discover-yourself-childrens-series-wrong-jonah/kay-arthur/9780736902038/pd/02032?item_code=WW&netp_id=123325&event=ESRCN&view=details#curr

Edited by HappyGrace

You could browse through the books at RHB. It is a solid reformed publisher-don't know if that would be a good thing for you or not--but worth looking at.

They have a devotional section for children.

Also, character building, doctrine, etc., here.

The Building on a Rock series looks good, too. I enjoy much of Dr. Beeke's writing and Diane Kleyn does nice work for children also.

They could probably aid in showing samples of some of the books if you request it. I like to see things before buying, too.

We really liked Positive Action for Christ. We are currently using the 4th grade book. There's a section on the life of JC, one on the Holy Spirit, and then it goes into the Life of Paul. It has personal application sections in each lesson--there are samples on the website. Really, really well done.

It sends the kids all over the Bible, relating various parts of it to Bible stories that are kind of like the main 'spine', assigns optional memory work, gives life application thought questions, and appropriate prayer suggestions. Very, very age-appropriate--Concordia supplies this series to the second biggest group of parochial schools in the country, and has been doing so for a long long time. They are conservative Lutherans who really know how to be 'in it but not of it' and have a warm, Gospel-centered Biblical outlook.

Although we haven't used them, I've been eyeing the ones from Queen Homeschool for next year's studies.

It sends the kids all over the Bible, relating various parts of it to Bible stories that are kind of like the main 'spine', assigns optional memory work, gives life application thought questions, and appropriate prayer suggestions. Very, very age-appropriate--Concordia supplies this series to the second biggest group of parochial schools in the country, and has been doing so for a long long time. They are conservative Lutherans who really know how to be 'in it but not of it' and have a warm, Gospel-centered Biblical outlook.

Definitely check out Explorer's--it's the highest quality Bible study for children I have found. Wonderful inductive process. Very similar to BSF and CBS if you are familiar with those organizations.

http://www.explorerbiblestudy.org/

Thank you for these suggestions, as well. Guess my list of things to check out is growing! :001_smile:

• 1 month later...