Menu

Looking for resources about England

Greta

We've decided to put our American history on hold for the rest of this year, and devote that time to studying England's history, since we will be traveling to London in June. :hurray: This is me every time I think about it: :w00t:

:lol:

Anyway, I'm looking for good resources for a 10 year old to learn more about England and the UK, past and present.

The only thing I know of is Our Island Story, which we had started at one point, then put aside because my curriculum was too busy. So now we'll pick it up again.

I would be grateful for any other suggestions. We plan to hit our public library, but I could invest in a few good resources as well.

You might look into some of these, especially if you can get them from the library:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Traditional-British-history-for-children/lm/R3FYTT84CN7X9S/ref=cm_lmt_srch_f_1_rsrrrr0

I like the McCaughrean as well.

I've also read the Young Oxford one and I think it's good, but might be a bit old for a 10yo.

If you can find any of the old Ladybird history books at your library, they are VERY quick reads by 10 but I still enjoyed reading them then. They are brief but well-done.

First of all do an amazon search under "London with kids." You'll find such great guidebooks; I'd start by paging through those along with your child. See what intrigues or excites you and your 4th grader (knights, war, technology, science, art, food and food making, etc.). Then you can plan your reading around themes or time periods. Otherwise there is just way too much great stuff and you will be overwhelmed.

For a general survey, "Puck of Pook's Hill" (Kipling) is a good read-aloud for a child who can sit still for a longer book. It's made up of the stories of two children who get taken to various time periods in British history, so it's a great survey/overview. Since London has so much to to do with kings and queens, a general read about them is good too. "The Raucous Royals" presents a number of stories about various rulers emphasizing mysteries and rumors -- great illustrations, stories that stick because they're wild, so you will remember some names when you get to the tours.

You're so lucky!!!!! You'll have such a great time.

You might look into some of these, especially if you can get them from the library:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Traditional-British-history-for-children/lm/R3FYTT84CN7X9S/ref=cm_lmt_srch_f_1_rsrrrr0

I like the McCaughrean as well.

I've also read the Young Oxford one and I think it's good, but might be a bit old for a 10yo.

If you can find any of the old Ladybird history books at your library, they are VERY quick reads by 10 but I still enjoyed reading them then. They are brief but well-done.

Wonderful, thanks!

See what intrigues or excites you and your 4th grader (knights, war, technology, science, art, food and food making, etc.). Then you can plan your reading around themes or time periods. Otherwise there is just way too much great stuff and you will be overwhelmed.

That sounds like really good advice!

For a general survey, "Puck of Pook's Hill" (Kipling) is a good read-aloud for a child who can sit still for a longer book. It's made up of the stories of two children who get taken to various time periods in British history, so it's a great survey/overview. Since London has so much to to do with kings and queens, a general read about them is good too. "The Raucous Royals" presents a number of stories about various rulers emphasizing mysteries and rumors -- great illustrations, stories that stick because they're wild, so you will remember some names when you get to the tours.

You're so lucky!!!!! You'll have such a great time.

These sound great as well!

Thanks, I'm so excited! This will be my first time outside of the US, aside from a brief stop in Vancouver on our way to Alaska.

If you only have until June, I would go through the list of things you want to see while you are there and focus on the history of those and the events that occurred there and the people involved. There is sooooo much history in London that there is no way to cover it all. The one guidebook I kept and reused was a DK Eyewitness Travel Guide. It was a good combo of travel guide and mini-history book.

(The picture I use for my avatar is my kids in London a little while ago. We LOVED it.)

Edited by jcooperetc

If you only have until June, I would go through the list of things you want to see while you are there and focus on the history of those and the events that occurred there and the people involved. There is sooooo much history in London that there is no way to cover it all.

Makes sense. Thanks!

For that age you might look at The Young Oxford History of Britain and Ireland. It's cheap used and offers a more up-to-date telling than Our Island Story.

I just order a used copy via amazon for 78 cents! It's probably not in very good shape (previously a library book), but I bet we can still use it just fine. And I'd rather save my money for London itself. :) Thanks for the suggestion!

Btw, I'm jealous. My family is from England and it's a life long dream of mine to be able to visit. :001_smile:

I hope you will get to visit someday soon too!!! There's a fearful/pessimistic side of me that won't be completely convinced this is actually going to happen until we buy the plane tickets. But I'm pushing ahead as if it will! Working on getting my daughter's passport, and doing some early planning and learning. It's very exciting!

You're welcome - I hope you have a great time.

I can't remember how well you know the UK, so feel free to ignore the following:

Remember to take waterproof shoes: I'm always seeing American tourists in nice canvas walking shoes squelching around Britain. At any time of year, it can chuck it down with rain. Oh, and layers: lots of layers. London in June shouldn't be actually cold, but might well be chilly. I would take mostly long trousers/skirts with a fleece, jacket and umbrella. Throw in maybe one pair of shorts, but don't be surprised if they get no use.

Laura

You're welcome - I hope you have a great time.

I can't remember how well you know the UK, so feel free to ignore the following:

Remember to take waterproof shoes: I'm always seeing American tourists in nice canvas walking shoes squelching around Britain. At any time of year, it can chuck it down with rain. Oh, and layers: lots of layers. London in June shouldn't be actually cold, but might well be chilly. I would take mostly long trousers/skirts with a fleece, jacket and umbrella. Throw in maybe one pair of shorts, but don't be surprised if they get no use.

Laura

I don't know the UK well at all, so any and all advice is appreciated! I will take this to heart. We live in the desert southwest of the US. Rain here is infrequent and light. We will probably need to purchase better shoes for the occasion. And an umbrella! :lol: We do know about layers, though. Temps can vary widely here. Contrary to popular notion desert does not always equal hot. Especially at high altitudes.

But I digress. Point is: thanks again!

I don't know the UK well at all, so any and all advice is appreciated! I will take this to heart. We live in the desert southwest of the US. Rain here is infrequent and light. We will probably need to purchase better shoes for the occasion. And an umbrella! :lol: We do know about layers, though. Temps can vary widely here. Contrary to popular notion desert does not always equal hot. Especially at high altitudes.

But I digress. Point is: thanks again!

We are in the SouthWest, too. We were in London last year at the beginning of July. And wouldn't you know it, it was the hottest it has been in years. The heat was incredible. Coming from the US the lack of AC just really hit us. :tongue_smilie:

Susie

If you only have until June, I would go through the list of things you want to see while you are there and focus on the history of those and the events that occurred there and the people involved.

:iagree: Nothing like the cool factor of "I saw that in my book!!" See whether your library has books with decent photography. The joy of seeing that it (whatever "it" is) really does look like the pic is too much fun.

:)

Rosie

I just order a used copy via amazon for 78 cents! It's probably not in very good shape (previously a library book), but I bet we can still use it just fine. And I'd rather save my money for London itself. :) Thanks for the suggestion!

This might be truer than you think. We visit London every 2 years for a day, when we're in the UK anyway. It is by far the most expensive day we have during the whole time. Just realize that whereas some (all?) museums are free everything else, starting with transport, is rather expensive. We love it each time tough and I'm sure you'll have a great time.;)