Menu

What do you think of fill in the blank thank you cards for kids just writing?

My PDG just turned 6 yesterday and is writing relatively well, and spelling with help. We're sending out thank you notes for her gifts. I found a box of fill-in-the blank thank you notes I had bought last year for her (when she barely wrote).

Do you think these are cheesy? Or should I just write standard thank yous and have her fill in key words? Or should I write the entire note?

I'm just brain dead today and can no longer think without asking The Hive.

For my ds I have him write the entire thing, but they are very short. (Much shorter than if I wrote them myself)

Think: Thank you for the dinosaur book. Love, Name

As he gets older, I will expect more, but I think grandma and grandpa understand that he is just 6 and can't/won't write more. ;) Plus in his own writing it is much more meaningful.

Now for dd who is only 4, I write the card and she writes her name at the bottom. Sometimes she is feeling ambitious and wants to write more, so she signs off with Thank you, Love Name.

BTW, I write down what they should write on a piece of paper and they copy it - that way there are no misspelled words or letters written backwards.

ETA: For occassions he has to write quite a few cards, I have him do 2 or 3 a day for his writing assignment and spread it out over the week. Otherwise it would be WAY too much for him. I just have to remember to start right away so they get done in a timely manner.

I think at 6, it is fine.

My just turned 8yo has had to write thank you cards all week as part of school. He dreads writing. He's done one a day for the last 8 days.

Dear so-in-so,

Thank you for the money. I bought....... I love you.

Love, Son

I also made him write out the return address on the envelope.

I used to have my kids draw a picture of the gift on their thank-you letter. They didn't have to say very much in the letter, but they did have to draw a picture (which they enjoyed doing). It always made the gift-giver feel very much appreciated.

:iagree:

My first inclination was to say I don't like them, but then I thought that a fill-in-the-blank card plus a picture would be perfect. For my six year old, I usually have him dictate thank yous (with some prompting from me about what to say) and then sign his name and draw a picture.

At that age, I think drawing a picture with "THANKS" scrawled across the top is highly appropriate. The fill-in-the-blank things do annoy me, lol, but I'm fine with a drawing, or an emailed photo showing them enjoying the present. If it's an extra-special present, either b/c of what it is or how they are enjoying it, I will always add a note to that effect. My kids are 9 & 11 and write their own notes, but let's face it, they are going for 'concise,' not 'warm-the-heart.'