Menu

Learning to Sew

I've never REALLY learned how to sew, and I really want to learn. I want to be able to make clothes for my kids that meet their needs (we have some sensory issues and some fitting issues). I took the beginner's class at Joann's today. It wasn't very informative, I probably should have taken the 201 class instead. I already knew how to thread my machine, and how to do lots of the things they covered. Next class is going to be using a super-easy pattern to make shorts/pants/skirt. It will be a two-session class. I don't know if I'll do it or not. Lots of the other ladies in the class I had today were so whiny, I do NOT want to sit through that again. I HATE sitting through a class and listening to the teacher repeat things so many times.

The only part I liked about the class was that it was NOT in my home with my children present :tongue_smilie:

Is there a better alternative? I guess I'm looking for rec's for books or videos or ANYthing that will teach me the basics about making clothes without assuming that I know what I'm doing.

I don't think I'm patient enough to wait a whole month before trying something new but simple. I can make pillows and pillow cases, I've made very simple tab curtains before (the tabs were not all the same size, the hems weren't straight, they were just very basic to meet a need and not meant to be decorative). I think I'd like to try bags/purses now, and then move on to very simple pants for the kids.

Please, please, PLEASE give me something to look into. :D

I like old sewing books. First, they are inexpensive, and second, they actually address makig practical items. People used to sew children's clothing, and they didn't need a pattern. So the older books tell you, for example, how to measure a child and make them a shirt. Good Housekeeping and Reader's Digest made encylopedic 'how to sew' books, and we find them to be treasures. Even if you don't make the items out of them, you can look up unfamiliar terms. I have four copies of this one, bought at library sales: one for each dd's hope chest, one for ds's future wife, and one for me to keep.

Another option is to hit Joanne's or other similar stores when they have $0.99 or $1.99 patterns. You can try several different patterns without spending $15 each.

4-H sewing materials are excellent as well. This one is from "Sewing with Nancy."

Is there someone nearby that could mentor you one-on-one?

I taught myself how to sew at age 35 :) , but a mentor would have been nice. I studied the instruction booklet that came with my sewing machine because it had all kinds of neat hints, and I read all the oldest sewing books at my library. I picked out a simple pattern (pull on shorts with pockets in the seams for my kids), and I studied the sewing instructions that came with it.

One thing I learned was to pull the instructions out of the pattern envelope at the store and get an idea of what I was up against. I only wanted to tackle one new element at a time. I knew better than to try to master collars, pockets, button holes, zippers AND set-in sleeves all at once! Button holes are still my nemesis...

I have been teaching myself to sew for years and I feel like I am pretty good at it now. It has been years of work, learning the lingo, trying and failing, reading, reading, reading.

Something that is great now is that you tube has all sorts of crafters on there showing you how to do things. I could not remember how to make my button hole foot work and after a quick search, I watched a video that helped.

So go get yourself a pattern and whenever you run into something you don't understand, look it up on youtube.

Some other sites to look into are www.patternreview.com.

You may also want to look into some of the homeschool sewing lesson books put out by Bunkhouse Books. I own all of them and they are great.

Finally, sewing is really big right now and there are tons of excellent books out that can teach you tons. I second Sew What Skirts! Look over at Amazon for more books.

What really got me to learn to sew was challenging myself. My first hurdle was overcome by a friend who insisted I help her sew a pattern. We were both newbies and we figured it out together.

My second time was when I had to make several pioneer style costumes for a play and my children were counting on me. It took me a month, but wow did I learn a lot!

You can do it!

Michelle

Edited by Michelle My Bell

I'm another one that loves the old Singer sewing books. I bet you can find some at your library's books sale, or even at the library.

I taught myself and I did it by working my way up. You're past those fast patterns, so step up your game. The worse thing that can happen is you have to rip out seams. I love Vogue and Burda patterns. I also learned a lot by buying the heirloom sewing magazine Sew Beautiful by Martha Pullen. I learned a lot from those. http://www.marthapullen.com/

I tend to shy away from Butterick and Simplicty patterns because I find ...not mistakes in the patterns, but better ways to sew the items that you only know if you've been sewing a while.

I really want to teach myself to make my own patterns, now. In HS had a friend from Sweden who whipped up her own stuff all the time and it looked gorgeous. (and you could give her scraps of yarn and she'd make the most beautiful sweaters!)

So, you can do eeeit. :001_smile:

I was going to suggest a mentor or an exchange of services, too. For example, I would love to teach someone to sew in exchange for family haircuts! lol:)

If that won't work, then work on something simple until a class comes along that is a good level for you. I'm all for learning to do things by myself - go for it! But I think you'd probably pick up a few helpful tips if you also learn from someone who's been sewing for awhile.

I tend to shy away from Butterick and Simplicty patterns because I find ...not mistakes in the patterns, but better ways to sew the items that you only know if you've been sewing a while.

Very true. I find they're sort of quick-and-dirty, but you'll get much better results if you learn better techniques that might take slightly more time but have a lot of payoff. A book I recently found that shows a lot of good techniques is The A-Z of Sewing. The A-Z series is from Australia, and has excellent photography and explanations.

I too have learned a lot from heirloom sewing publications.

I started with this book:

The Complete Photo Guide to Sewing (Singer)

I think it used to go by another name....check the Amazon reviews....maybe your library has it under one of its titles...

I haven't used everything in the book, but I found it useful when I cut out my first pattern, put in a zipper, added gathers to dresses, etc......you know, some of those things that require more than a straight stitch!

I would suggest buying an easy, cheap pattern and just give it a go. Maybe try one of the "Easy Stitch-n-Save" patterns from McCalls.

Get thee over to Sew Mama Sew! Currently there are numerous Valentine projects on the blog, but look at the Handmade Holidays archives for many tutorials of wonderful projects.

Secondly, see if your Extension Service office has someone who might assist you. I have been teaching sewing classes to children through Extension. This small purse is simple and adorable. This is a project that I think I may do down the road with beginning sewers. The 4-H projects are highly detailed so you might want to search the Internet for some ideas.

There are a number of people who sew on this board, so if you are stuck, post a question.

Have fun!

Jane

I was browsing books at Amazon, and this one was connected to another one somehow. Anyway, I thought I'd share it since at least one person mentioned that she would like to learn to make her own patterns.

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Sewing-Patterns-Donald-McCunn/dp/0932538002/ref=sip_rech_dp_10

An older choice: How to Design Your Own Clothes and Make Your Own Patterns by Claudia Ein (here). I found this one used for a couple of bucks. Definitely dated in its drawings but strong in its fundamentals.

Another oldie that I picked up is Easy Sewing for Adults (here). The garments are less fitted in this book but there are a number of basic concepts. For example, I want a pareu (swimsuit cover). There is a pattern in this book presented on a graph paper grid which I can enlarge.

Jane