Menu

If you use CLE math for 1st grade, what did you use for K?

littleWMN

I am currently using CLE 100 with my 1st grader. I didn't use anything in K. I have 5 children and have already been through K 3x. IMHO, I don't think a K program is necessary; unless you have lots of extra time on your hands and you want too! :D CLE is extremely thorough and fast-paced. I am going at a slower pace with my first grader. I agree with the other poster that it covers everything from the very beginning. :001_smile:

My 3rd child will be starting K in a few months. He has already done most of R&S "Counting with Numbers" workbook, so I really don't have any definite plans for his math during K, since he'll start CLE math in 1st. I am considering getting HOD Little Hearts for him to do instead of having him tag along with his big siblings in their program, so if I do that, he can do the Singapore Earlybird math that is scheduled in the guide. But I'm not too worried about coming up with something otherwise.

I am currently using CLE 100 with my 1st grader. I didn't use anything in K. I have 5 children and have already been through K 3x. IMHO, I don't think a K program is necessary; unless you have lots of extra time on your hands and you want too! :D CLE is extremely thorough and fast-paced. I am going at a slower pace with my first grader. I agree with the other poster that it covers everything from the very beginning. :001_smile:

Thank you all so much for the advice! My oldest is in 3rd grade and I didn't use a program for her in K and she's behind now, so DH is insisting I use *something* for my K'er this fall. I think i'll ust go ahead and get CLE 100 and take it slow. My oldest reads at a high school level but will be entering 4th grade on about a 2nd grade math level. I am not sure it's related to not using anything formal in K ;) but DH is convinced.

I'm also switching my 3rd grader to CLE after reading so many good reviews.

THANKS!

IMHO, I know that he/she is NOT behind because of not using a K program!!! Kids are not ready for any real math until they hit around 1st grade anyhow. I don't know that it is possible for a 3rd grader to really be behind. I guess it depends on who you ask and the fact that so may different math curriculum cover different topics at completely different times. I would totally not worry about that.....if you stay consistent, by the time they are in 5th or 6th grade, you will not be "behind." I would definitely stick with CLE,though. Believe me, I have tried EVERY curriculum out there and this is has been the most thorough and complete and easily adapted to the home environment (and with more than one kid). They are rewriting their math programs for level 8 and then for high school so by the time you get there, it should be done. I switch to MUS for the older grades (Pre-Algebra, Algebra, etc...).

Good luck on your journey. ;)

IMHO, I know that he/she is NOT behind because of not using a K program!!! Kids are not ready for any real math until they hit around 1st grade anyhow. I don't know that it is possible for a 3rd grader to really be behind. I guess it depends on who you ask and the fact that so may different math curriculum cover different topics at completely different times. I would totally not worry about that.....if you stay consistent, by the time they are in 5th or 6th grade, you will not be "behind." I would definitely stick with CLE,though. Believe me, I have tried EVERY curriculum out there and this is has been the most thorough and complete and easily adapted to the home environment (and with more than one kid). They are rewriting their math programs for level 8 and then for high school so by the time you get there, it should be done. I switch to MUS for the older grades (Pre-Algebra, Algebra, etc...).

Good luck on your journey. ;)

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I really needed to hear it. She's only 8 anyway, so she's young. She's my oldest though and you know how that goes. Poor kid has been through too many math curriculums. I need to stick with something and I think CLE will be it!

Lesson one of LU 101 is basically " this is 1. This is how many 1 is. This is how you write 1."

IMO, most bright children can do CLE 100 in K with little or no prep beyond just exploring numbers and 1:1 correspondence. Dot already knew her addition & subtraction facts to ten before we started, but that's certainly not necessary.

CLE does start off slow & easy but then it seems like all of a sudden you're in advanced math IMO. :001_huh:

Yes, I totally agree. We were going along just fine and then it seemed to be very advanced for a 1st grader. If your child is especially gifted or bright it may not seem that way, but, for the average kid, it is fast paced. I would totally not recommend this for a Kindergartner. Even if they seem ready. There is a lot of maturity that takes place between K and 1st. There is no need to rush -- even if your kid is bright or advanced. It will look different from family to family. If you just have one or two kids and you have time to drill, drill, drill, then more power to ya! But if you are trying to work with a large crew then there is just no need to push these kids. They all catch up to each other anyway. Besides, you run the risk of you and your child becoming frustrated if the material becomes too much. And at that point you could have just waited and given them more time to mature and then things go so much smoother. Just stay consistent and move at a pace that is comfortable for your child. Do not put any unnecessary pressure on yourself. :)

Just my two cents!

For what it's worth, we came to CLE after using half of Saxon 1 and a couple of months working on addition facts. While this is most likely not necessary, it has certainly helped:

1) ds, because he can grasp his addition and subtractions facts quite easily (since much is review). His confidence in this program is very high!

2) me, teach the CLE's My Calendar Book in a way which is somewhat similar to Saxon's meeting time in Saxon 1.

3) me, be a better teacher all around, esp. in how to incorporate manipulatives and such into the lessons (although ds is beyond that now).

I've been thinking about this, since I have another little guy coming up (in 5 years!) to teach. Will I use Saxon 1 again in K? Perhaps, since I do have it and ds enjoyed all the manipulatives. But I *do* think I'll use *something* before CLE 100 again, since we like to start math around age 5. (Ds is on the early, early side of his grade, turning 5 just days before K.) But do I think it's NECESSARY? No ;)

Great help, huh? :lol:

ETA: I have Ray's Primary Arithmetic, too. I do think the early exercises in this little affordable book would be a fun (and inexpensive) intro. to math for littles. It can be done entirely orally and with manipulatives, simply allowing the child to form mathematical connections in the mind. Also check out Family Math and other "living math" books. (Had I known better/ had more confidence, I would have spent less money on K!!)

Edited by Medieval Mom

Someone gave us the Abeka Math K and I think it's great. I've used CLE for 1st and 2nd. I agree that it starts at the beginning, but the speed quickly progresses and by the end of 1st it is more like most 2nd grade math programs.

I would either do Abeka Math K (workbook alone is working well here) or the Kumon workbooks that are age appropriate.

Guest MiisTran2010

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic. If possible, as you gain knowledge, would you mind updating your blog with extra information? It is extremely useful for me. :grouphug:

Thanks!

I used R&S Pre-school workbooks and some leftover A Beka K pages that I had from my older ds. We then went right into CLE1 for K. I only teach 3 lessons a week...so we will finish 105 this year and then use 106-wherever we get in 1rst grade. In between, we do flashcards and I make sure he has the new facts and concepts down.

HTH

Faithe

This is what I'm planning on doing. I will see how it works!:tongue_smilie:

I saw that Memoria Press's new K program uses R&S:

Beginning Arithmetic 1: Student Workbook

Beginning Arithmetic 1: Teacher Manual

Beginning Arithmetic 1: Blacklines

Going on Eagerly

Counting With Numbers

So, I was going to try using that then starting CLE in 1st.

I don't have the TG for MPK, so I was going to do Counting with Numbers, Going on Eagerly and then do R&S book 1 at half pace. I don't plan on using the blackline master. I just want more of an introduction and then he can work on really memorizing his facts in 1st.

If it works is yet to be seen!:001_huh: