Menu

What to do, alone for the day in Portland, OR?

I'll be taking my son to the IEW High School Essay Intensive w/ Andrew Pudewa. A friend was going to go along so we could have a girl's day in Portland, but she got sick. What are fun, inexpensive things to do alone in Portland? I'm not a huge shopper, though do like antique store. I've been recovering over the past month from an adrenal fatigue-ish episode, so I need something that won't wipe me out too much. I'd love to find a spa and get a massage, but it's not in the budget.

TIA!

Kimm in WA

Portland does have a wonderful antique mall, and if you sew Fabric Depot is one of the best fabric stores I have ever seen, as well as the Mill End store here is interesting.

The Portland Art Museum has lots of interesting displays, but that might be out of your budget too, I have never bought tickets, the library has them for free if you check them out. The Japanese and the Chinese gardens are famous, but I don't know how they look this time of year.

This may not be the most helpful post, but I hope that it gives you an idea.

What I wouldn't give for one day back in Portland. Hmm, a few ideas..

Grab a coffee (you can see it is a common theme) and watch the world go by at Pioneer Square.

If it is a weekend, head over to the Saturday Market down by the waterfront (I forget exactly the location but anyone can tell you.)

See a movie at one of the arthouses.

Wander Powells and sit among the stacks.

The Chinese Garden is awesome and very contemplative. The Japanese Garden is also really cool - and that one is in the middle of the city.

The Rose Garden is also a lovely way to spend some time.

NW 23rd Street is my favorite street to stroll and window shop.

Burnside is also cool - funky and a bit more eclectic.

The Art Museum is a nice small one - totally not overwhelming for a day.

You could go ice skating at the mall (blanking on the name). It was one of the first "covered" malls in the US!

Have fun!

Powell's is HUGE. Ginormous.

They carry oop and used books as well as new ones. I found theology books at Powell's that had already been on permanent no check out reserve at my university library 10 years before. For sale. Not too expensively, either.

Another time I decided to check out their weaving section. It took me 3-4 hours to get through it. I hasten to add, that was JUST their weaving section, not their fiber section or their basket and fiber weaving section or their anything yarn section. No, it was just their WEAVING section.

Powell's is truly extraordinary, and they do have a cafe I believe. Go to the original so that you can say you did. You won't be sorry!

Powell's is very near the Pearl District, a section of the city that is very eclectic, artsy and fun. If you love art galleries, window shopping in cool shops, and eating lunch in small, intimate cafe's -- then the Pearl's for you! You could easily hit Powell's and the Pearl in the same day.

If you opt for other activities, then there is a nice little homeschool bookstore on the east side called Exodus Books that is quite popular. Or you may want to go up to the NW hills above downtown Portland to see the Pittock Mansion -- a real favorite of mine since I was a little girl. (You should see the place decked out for Christmas!)

Here is a great city guide that will give you more info on just about all of the sites that have been mentioned in this thread. You have a LOT to choose from in the City of Roses! Have fun, whatever you do.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Another vote for Powell's!! Looks like the weather is going to be crummy today (I'm in WA), but if there's a break in the drizzle, you could take a book down to the park by the river. Shopping in Pearl District is good too. Have fun...I'm jealous!

If you do go to Powells, don't take a minivan into the free parking garage.. it is the tightest garage I have ever seen, just pay a bit to park in a lot.... :-D

LOL. Yes, heed this warning. The Powell's parking garage is legendary. They should give you a T-shirt if you get your car in and out without a scratch.