Menu

Beginner Chapter Books

bluemongoose

I am looking for beginner chapter books for my DD. She is reading at around a 2nd-3rd grade level, but she is young... I am trying to find something that is aproppriate for her (she just turned 5) in both content and amount of words per page. She gets overwhelmed when there are a ton of words, but she is asking for an "adult" book-her term for chapter book.

She is interested in animals, fairies etc, but is scared easily.

And of course I would like them to not be too twaddle-ish!

Is that too tall an order??? Anybody have any ideas?:bigear:

That was such a tough time in DD7's journey to reading. It's so hard to find beginning chapter books that aren't junk and yet don't condescend to the child. My DD loved The Magic Treehouse books at that age, and they're pretty twaddly, but they did spark her interest in historical elements. We recently listened to the one about Shakespeare over dinner and had some interesting discussion about why girls weren't allowed to be on stage etc.

I also wish I'd discovered the Stepping Stones chapter books earlier in DD's progression. We read this one a few months ago, and while it was well below her reading level now, it was a lovely story and she enjoyed it:

http://www.amazon.com/Hannah-Stepping-Stone-Gloria-Whelan/dp/067982698X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265133152&sr=8-1

If you look below at the Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought section, you'll see a bunch more listed that look interesting.

The Four Seasons of Brambly Hedge book isn't a chapter book per se, but it's a compilation of the four shorter books, so it seems like a chapter book. I agree about the Burgess books. We have a first edition of Whitefoot the Mouse and it seems like a good fit in terms of reading level.

Have you already read the My Father's Dragon books and Mr. Popper's Penguins with her? There's also Cynthia Rylant's Lighthouse series (not sure if they have scary elements though)?

HTH! I know others will have great ideas for you.

Ohh! I just remembered that my ds really took of reading when he discovered E.B. White's books, esp. Stuart Little, The Trumpet of the Swan, Charlotte's Web. He also LOVED the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle series. :)

are these really 2nd grade material? I student taught 2nd grade and the most advanced students were reading Henry and Mudge...

oh, I just saw she said 2nd/3rd - would you consider these 3rd? just wondering;)

My daughter loved the Frog and Toad and they were easy and gave her a sense of accomplishment. We went on to an Loebel study unit and read most of his books--there's a scholastic book that I got from the library that said how to turn it into a unit study--kind of basic, but I got a few good ideas.

Amelia Bedelia was another hit. I couldn't get her into Burgess though. The Stepping Stone books look good. There was also a series about a princess and a pony that someone mentioned here that she really liked as well.

Laura

are these really 2nd grade material? I student taught 2nd grade and the most advanced students were reading Henry and Mudge...

oh, I just saw she said 2nd/3rd - would you consider these 3rd? just wondering;)

Oops! You're right. I just checked Book Wizard, which places these firmly in the 4th grade reading level. Burgess is at early fifth. I'm sorry! I didn't know. Ds6 read them a couple of months ago and I really hadn't considered him an advanced reader. Hmm... Maybe I should :001_huh: Sorry!!!::tongue_smilie:

However, if I check the Guided Reading level, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Farm is at O, which is referenced for 3rd grade. Hmm... (Guided Reading Levels)

My earlier suggestion of Frog and Toad is firmly at the 2nd grade level. ;)

Here's the link to Book Wizard so you can check it out yourself :)

Thanks for that book wizard link! That is very helpful.

Dont worry about the reading level mistake...I am only guessing her reading level myself based on the words I have seen her tackle. She could easily be above what I am guessing, but I know she is not below it. I figured I might as well shoot for slightly easy and build her confidence. She is kinda quirky about her confidence. She asks for something big, like the "adult book", but then gets overwhelmed by the thickness of it and the amount of words on one page. Ability wise, I know she could probably do it, but I dont want to stifle her newly found love of reading by overwhelming her. I figure I will get several of these books mentioned to have on hand for her choosing.

I also wish I'd discovered the Stepping Stones chapter books earlier in DD's progression. We read this one a few months ago, and while it was well below her reading level now, it was a lovely story and she enjoyed it:

http://www.amazon.com/Hannah-Stepping-Stone-Gloria-Whelan/dp/067982698X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265133152&sr=8-1

Thanks for this suggestion! It's new to us, but our library has it, so I'm excited!

We also struggle with age-appropriate content and non-twaddle books around here. I can relate! My DD still gets overwhelmed when there aren't occasional pictures to break up the text, and it's been difficult to discover what it is that causes her to refuse certain books while devouring others (we have done a ton of the Magic Treehouse).

But, she absolutely adores Virginia Haviland's series of Favorite Fairy Tales Told in .... I really have no idea what the reading level is for these, but the back of the one for India, which we have at the moment, says for ages 8 and up. I will warn you that as they are fairy tales, some of it is gruesome. But the books are slim and yet definitely "adult" in appearance as chapter books. Each story is a few pages long and usually has one sketch, and each book has 4 to 6 stories.

I'll be watching to see what else comes up.

She sounds similar to my dd. She can read words at a high level but is easily overwhelmed when there are too many words on a page. I get non-reader picture books to challenge her. Some of the books she's currently she's reading are grammar books by Brian P. Cleary, Magic School Bus books, and several other space books (her current science obsession).

I have been dealing with this same issue with my dd (5 1/2yo). She has LOVED the historical American Girl books. Some of them bring up fairly mature issues (the Depression, World War 1), but I was truly surprised at how much she learned and understood about those events/issues. We have saved the Addy series for when she's older - it begins with Addy and her mother escaping from slavery...

Of course reading the books has now led to an infatuation with the actual dolls, but that's another thread! :)

I spent alot of time buddy reading anything my DD was interested in. It didn't take long for her to be captivated enough with the story and me not available for her to pick the book up on her own. I think this was the best bridge i could offer. She has read Peter Pan and Charlotte's Web by herself. She is confident to pick up and try anything now.

I am looking for beginner chapter books for my DD. She is reading at around a 2nd-3rd grade level, but she is young... I am trying to find something that is aproppriate for her (she just turned 5) in both content and amount of words per page. She gets overwhelmed when there are a ton of words, but she is asking for an "adult" book-her term for chapter book.

She is interested in animals, fairies etc, but is scared easily.

And of course I would like them to not be too twaddle-ish!

Is that too tall an order??? Anybody have any ideas?:bigear:

Although you've gotten a lot of great responses, have you looked at the Sonlight Reader 2 Intermediate, or Reader 2 Advanced lists? The do include some of what's already been mentioned, but they have some other great selections too.