Menu

I think I broke a rib

Need hugs...suggestions are good too.

January 9th, I came down with a moderate fever that wouldn't go away. On day 6, I went to the doctor because the left side of my head felt like it was going to explode. I had an ear infection and sinus infection. I also started coughing that day. She gave me antibiotics, which I took. My cough is almost gone now three weeks later. I still have some post nasal drip and times where I'm feeling like I'm trying to breathe through a web of mucus. About a week ago, a spot under my left shoulder blade started hurting. Today, I think the rib finally cracked.

I've cracked a rib from coughing twice before...once about four years ago and once a LONG time ago. It hurts. A LOT!

This one hurts in my back, under my left shoulder blade. My shoulder feels fine but my arm hurts at the joints and my hand is tingling. Sit, standing, lying, moving, not moving, breathing, picking up and holding baby...it all hurts. Coughing and sniffing is excruciating. I know there's nothing the doctor can do so I took some Motrin to see if it will help. I know from the previous experiences that it will take a couple of months to heal.

I have so much I have to do and I don't know how I'm going to manage it all.

Also - dh says that you don't have enough bone mass if your rib broke that easily. Vastly up your vitamin D.

Really? It isn't hard to imagine that could be the case. I don't take any vitamins and I'm on a dairy free diet for the second time in my life. My midwife told me my vitamin D levels were ok last winter (don't know the number though). What should I take and how much? I'm breastfeeding so that probably affects things too.

I've been coughing throughout the day and night for more than two weeks. It was a gradually increasing pain. It started really hurting a week ago but it suddenly got a lot worse after a bout of coughing this afternoon while I was nursing baby down for a nap.

I can't say for sure it is broken since I haven't had an x-ray...maybe it is just separated or bruised. My doctor refused to x-ray last time but I could feel where the bone wasn't aligned...actually it was two of them on my side under my arm. I have a new doctor now but I don't want to spend the money if I don't have to since I just spent $132 on the doctor two weeks ago. We aren't not swimming in money. We're actually on public assistance right now but don't have medical. But the pain is intense, doesn't go away, and movement of any kind of nearly unbearable.

I find it alarming that you broke a rib through couging. It makes me think something else is wrong such as weak bones, etc. I would check with a physician and get a complete physical as well as complete blood work, etc. to rule out other problems.

:grouphug:

For the mucous, you could try plain Mucinex at the maximum dose, but again I think you need to see a doctor IMHO.

I know there's nothing the doctor can do so I took some Motrin to see if it will help. I know from the previous experiences that it will take a couple of months to heal.

Severe coughing is actually a pretty common cause of rib fractures, so I wouldn't be terribly concerned about that.

But...

I would see a doctor because

1) I'd want to be sure that's what's causing your pain. Rib fractures don't usually cause pain/tingling in the arm.

2) If you do have a rib fracture, pain control is important, so you don't end up with pneumonia. They can give you something stronger than Motrin.

Sorry.:grouphug:

Rib fractures

Rib Fractures

Rib fractures are a painful and disabling injury occurring in at least 300,000 people each year in the United States. The majority of rib fractures occur during motor vehicle accidents, but falls, large animal incidents (for example, horses), sports injuries, and coughing are also frequent causes. Many patients with rib fractures require admission to a hospital, either for pain management or other injuries. Rib fractures can lead to lung collapse, internal bleeding, lung damage, pneumonia, and respiratory failure. If you suspect you have suffered rib fractures, you are encouraged to seek urgent medical attention.

The pain of rib fractures is legendary and can be difficult to control, particularly in the first few days. Aggressive, in-hospital pain control measures may be necessary, including intravenous narcotics or even an epidural pain control catheter. Less aggressive measures, including oral narcotics, anesthetic patches, and other oral analgesics, may allow pain to be controlled in a non-hospital setting. Rib belts may be of benefit in some patients with less severe fractures, but may cause bleeding around more severe fractures. Rib belts should only be used at the recommendation of a health care professional experienced in injury management. Whether at home or in the hospital, rib fractures patients are encouraged to keep their pain under control in order to allow frequent deep breathing. An incentive spirometer may be prescribed to facilitate deep breaths and prevent progressive lung collapse. Rib fracture repair is only indicated in the most severe cases.

Recovery from rib fractures depends on how many fractures are present, how severe they are, and the presence of other injuries. Rib fracture pain will diminish over several weeks but may persist at a low and hopefully tolerable level for several months or even longer. A course of physical therapy may be beneficial to help ease the patient back into pre-injury levels of activity. Patients with no other injuries can expect to be off work for at least several days and more commonly 2 – 10 weeks. Patients with employment requiring physical labor and patients desiring to return to significant athletic activity are encouraged to give their rib fractures at least 4 – 6 weeks to heal before resuming physical activity that could re-injure the fracture area. Patients with more severe injuries may develop long-term complications such as chronic pain, fracture non-unions, and even lung function impairment. It is currently uncertain whether early rib fracture repair can prevent long-term pain and disability.

Well, it isn't as severe as the time a few years ago, but it is similar. I can breathe fine. I can even take deep breathes, although those hurt more.

It is very specific spot, maybe the size of a quarter, just under the inside edge of my left shoulder blade. Maybe it's something like a muscle tear? I was having pain in that area about a week before I started coughing and the chiropractor seemed to think it was muscle tightness from my spine being all out whack. The other pain in my arm seems to be referred pain...just a dull ache in my joints, which I get frequently anyway. It seems that anytime I hurt myself, I have joints somewhere nearby that ache.

The Motrin and an ice pack on my back are helping a little, not much, but a little. It's helping enough that I feel calm again. I was on emotional overload and near crying earlier.

Well, it isn't as severe as the time a few years ago, but it is similar. I can breathe fine. I can even take deep breathes, although those hurt more.

It is very specific spot, maybe the size of a quarter, just under the inside edge of my left shoulder blade. Maybe it's something like a muscle tear? I was having pain in that area about a week before I started coughing and the chiropractor seemed to think it was muscle tightness from my spine being all out whack. The other pain in my arm seems to be referred pain...just a dull ache in my joints, which I get frequently anyway. It seems that anytime I hurt myself, I have joints somewhere nearby that ache.

The Motrin and an ice pack on my back are helping a little, not much, but a little. It's helping enough that I feel calm again. I was on emotional overload and near crying earlier.

It sounds like you go to a chiropractor. He should be able to tell if your rib is out or if it is something different. He should also be able to tape it for you.

Find out what your "fine" levels of vitamin D were. What used to be considered fine is now considered low. http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/

I just got back from being seen. There's no fractures. They said it could be cartilage or muscle but they can't tell from x-rays. They sent me home with instructions on Thoracic Spine Strain and an rx for hydrocodone.

The pharmacist suggested I try taking Tylenol and Ibuprofen together since that is safer than hydrocodone for nursing. He said if that doesn't work well enough, I could try taking just 1/2 a table and increase the dosage (up to 2 tablets) as needed rather than going straight to the full dosage to minimize the amount my nursling is getting. He also said I could pump and dump and use formula but with her allergies, I think formula is a bad idea.

I hope to be functioning better soon.