Menu

Porkchops...

We were also given some of these. I've never bought or cooked pork, but we eat it when other people serve it.

On one such occasion 6 yrs ago, a friend served pork chops seasoned w/ mint. That's all I know, & I've never been able to google a recipe remotely like what she made. There were no weird flavors, & it was so good I remember it this many years later.

So help again. Please? :D

I haven't used a recipe with mint but I just wanted to say that last week I made Rachel Ray's pork chops with bacon and beer gravy. I don't always like her recipes but this one? Oh my. there wasn't drop left. I made my regular mashed potatoes to go with it instead of her recipe.

I did make the quick-pickled onions and apples but I made a salad with those, napa cabbage, craisins and slivered almonds. I made a balsamic and honey dressing to go with the salad.

I cook porkchops 1 of 2 ways, either with shake n' bake on it, served with applesauce(jarred or homemade) for dipping OR I cook it in cream soup on the stove top. THe kids and I all prefer the 1st method but when I have little left in the cupboard I use the soup method.

One recipe I have used for pork chops for years.........

LEMON BAKED PORK CHOPS

4 pork chops, boneless

1 lemon

4 tsp. brown sugar

1 onion

4 tsp. ketchup

Arrange pork chops in shallow baking dish. On each pork chop put one slice of lemon (rind on), one slice of onion, 1 teaspoon brown sugar, and top with ketchup. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 to 55 minutes, or until meat is fully cooked. (Eat lemon also.)

Note by me: If you dont' have fresh lemons you can just put a squirt of bottled lemon juice on each one. I bake them covered. I prefer them very tender, so I bake them about 1.5 hours.

2nd recipe is a big family favorite. Brown pork chops in fry pan. While they are browning, put together your favorite cheesy potatoe casserole recipe. When chops are brown, place on top the potatoes and bake 1.5 horus until tender.

This was one of my favorite meals when I was a kid:

Baked Pork Chops

4 pork chops

1 c. cooked rice

1/2 large onion, sliced into 4 slices

1 can whole tomatoes, sliced; retain juices*

Salt & Pepper to taste

Place chops in baking pan and sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper. Spoon 1/4 c. cooked rice on each chop. Place tomato slices on top of rice and top each with a slice of onion. Bake 1.5 hours at 350 degrees (if using thin chops, reduce cooking time to 1 hour). Pour retained tomato juice over chops half-way through cooking.

* I have successfully used fresh tomatoes instead. If using fresh tomatoes, place one slice on each chop then baste with a little chicken broth/ bouillon half-way through cooking.

In the oven with the juice from a can of pineapple and a pineapple slice on each one. Or you can cook them in a skillet and let the juice simmer down til it's thickened a little and serve over rice. Very yummy and I think the acidic juice tenderized the meat. I don't know that, but that's what I say!;)

One recipe I have used for pork chops for years.........

LEMON BAKED PORK CHOPS

4 pork chops, boneless

1 lemon

4 tsp. brown sugar

1 onion

4 tsp. ketchup

Arrange pork chops in shallow baking dish. On each pork chop put one slice of lemon (rind on), one slice of onion, 1 teaspoon brown sugar, and top with ketchup. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 to 55 minutes, or until meat is fully cooked. (Eat lemon also.)

Note by me: If you dont' have fresh lemons you can just put a squirt of bottled lemon juice on each one. I bake them covered. I prefer them very tender, so I bake them about 1.5 hours.

Hey I make this too! It makes the house smell soooooo good as it is cooking and is soooooo easy. LOVE it.

Guest Virginia Dawn

I bake mine in the oven with the Hillbilly Housewife's homemade coating mix. They are scrumptious. I suppose you could use Shake and Bake or any kind of seasoned bread crumbs.

I recently learned a new "trick" for the thick, bone-in chops. I made them with an apple/onion dressing that was in the bottom of the pan. I placed the chops on their *edges* (standing "up") with the fat edge on the top. I baked them, covered with foil, for about an hour at 350, uncovering them for the last ten minutes or so. The fat drips down and self-bastes them - oh, my!