Menu

Horizons Math

*Amber*

I purchased a manipulative kit several years ago when using Horizon's Math Grade 1. I don't think the company is around anymore, but Rainbow Resources has a kit: http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Horizons+Grade+K-3+Manipulative+Kit/HZNK3M/1264365442-472846

It looks rather expensive, but math manipulatives tend to run that way. There are many items in this kit that we haven't used. Many can be made from cheaper resources. I remember setting up a store to buy and sell items; we used real money rather than purchase play money. However, since that time with child number two, I have purchased play money. I also remember counting things using a bag of dried beans from the grocery store, using an egg carton for something, etc. Your other poster mentioned using stuff from around the house; that is a good idea.

I would look at the link and pick out items that you could not easily duplicate with around the house stuff.

In looking at the kit, we used the clocks and the hundred number chart the most in the early grades. My daughter is in grade 4 math, and we have been using base 10 blocks a lot with division. We will use the fraction material pretty soon as well. We use many flash cards, but those are easily made or found cheap at a local store.

Good Luck,

Lisa

We've used Horizons K-4. My daughter, who is finishing up 1 now, has used Base 10 blocks (and MUS blocks), ruler (cm & in), outdoor thermometer, RR's magnetic 100's board with the numbers printed out on one side and a blank grid on the back (definitely get a magnetic one!!!), and a small yellow Judy clock. We also use our real wall clock and real dollar bills and coins. That's about it for K-1.

yvonne

Base 10 blocks are really the only manipulative I've needed to buy. For everything else I've either made my own or used things I've got around the house. Adding with M&M's is so much more fun than plastic manipulatives, anyway! ;)

I liked this interlocking set from Rainbow Resources. I don't know if they don't carry it anymore or it just didn't show up on this search but there is also a thousands cube.

You can "get by" without any. :) I think it's *helpful* to have a toy clock with moveable hands (I prefer a geared clock, 'cause then you can demonstrate how the minutes and hours are related to each other) and a starter set of base ten blocks. (Base ten blocks are pictured frequently in the early levels of Horizons, so having a set is very helpful.)

When my children were young, they *enjoyed* certain other manipulatives, though their use value for math (particularly Horizons) was negligible:

a balance scale (used for *years* 'til it finally fell apart)

wooden pattern blocks (also workbooks like "Pattern Animals" and Patternables)

teddy bear counters (entirely unnecessary, but fun to play with and put in the scale)

Other things just weren't used as much. I guess we did make use of a hundred number chart when the kids were small... But overall, I think you'll do fine with a geared student clock, the base ten blocks, and some Legos and other household items. :)

I purchased a manipulative kit several years ago when using Horizon's Math Grade 1. I don't think the company is around anymore, but Rainbow Resources has a kit: http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Horizons+Grade+K-3+Manipulative+Kit/HZNK3M/1264365442-472846

It looks rather expensive, but math manipulatives tend to run that way. There are many items in this kit that we haven't used. Many can be made from cheaper resources. I remember setting up a store to buy and sell items; we used real money rather than purchase play money. However, since that time with child number two, I have purchased play money. I also remember counting things using a bag of dried beans from the grocery store, using an egg carton for something, etc. Your other poster mentioned using stuff from around the house; that is a good idea.

I would look at the link and pick out items that you could not easily duplicate with around the house stuff.

In looking at the kit, we used the clocks and the hundred number chart the most in the early grades. My daughter is in grade 4 math, and we have been using base 10 blocks a lot with division. We will use the fraction material pretty soon as well. We use many flash cards, but those are easily made or found cheap at a local store.

Good Luck,

Lisa

I bought this and it is a good price for what you're getting, but haven't used much of it through Horizons K and halfway into Horizons 1. Granted, my ds doesn't really like manipulatives for math and doesn't need them so YMMV. From now on, I'm only buying manipulatives when I see the need for them.

Here's what we've used: student clock (however, I'm going to buy a geared one...ds would benefit from seeing the little hand move as the big hand moves), play money (not too much in context with Horizons, he just loves to play with it and count it), a 6" ruler (easier to use and you don't need a 12" one for the book...plus, it's less likely to get broken in half by younger siblings), and base 10 blocks. That's it! We've used the flashcards a few times, but ds has his facts memorized from all of the problems in Horizons plus the number bond concept in Singapore PM.

When my children were young, they *enjoyed* certain other manipulatives, though their use value for math (particularly Horizons) was negligible:

a balance scale (used for *years* 'til it finally fell apart)

wooden pattern blocks (also workbooks like "Pattern Animals" and Patternables)

teddy bear counters (entirely unnecessary, but fun to play with and put in the scale)

Other things just weren't used as much. I guess we did make use of a hundred number chart when the kids were small... But overall, I think you'll do fine with a geared student clock, the base ten blocks, and some Legos and other household items. :)

I forgot, we did buy a balance scale, but we needed that for Singapore PM 1A. Since we bought it, the boys love to weigh objects. Definitely a good purchase.

Guest mrs. logic
I will be using Horizons K and Horizons 1 next year and I was wondering what manipulatives would be useful with it?

Back when we started I used manipulatives I found around the house.

There is a homeschool company called "Learning Things" www.learningthings.com which sales math manipulatives to correspond with the different levels of Horizons Math. I have ordered from them and was pleased with the pricing/merchandise quality I received from the company.

We are half way through Horizons K, and we haven't needed manipulatives at all. For addition, it uses a number line to help with the problems. If dd gets too much writing on the number line, though, she will resort to using her fingers, instead. I like how the program gently introduces the child to concepts while encouraging mental math.

Base 10 blocks are really the only manipulative I've needed to buy. For everything else I've either made my own or used things I've got around the house.

This is what we purchased when we were using Horizons 1 (we've since moved to Singapore). I did also purchase a plastic clock for time, but even that can be made out of a paper plate, a brass fastener, and paper clock hands. We used a lot of beans, M&Ms, Cheerios, paper clips, Legos (as linking blocks) instead of buying all the other manipulatives.