Menu

Legoland

Can any Californians out there (or just people who have been there ;)) give me the scoop on Legoland? We just found out they are opening a new one in Florida not far from us, and dh is super excited. He loves legos and is hoping they will have restaurants in the park so he can get a job there (he currently manages an Applebee's). Ds is pretty excited too. So what kind of stuff do they have? Do you just walk around and play with different lego sets, or are there rides and such?

ooh, they're opening one in Florida? We went to the one in CA this past September. There are lots of rides, most of them only exciting for the under 10 or so set. There are also lots of miniature towns and cities and such made out of legos to look at, some shows, some places where you can build with legos. In CA, I believe there's only one table service restaurant, and it's not particularly great. The restaurant experience isn't on the same scale as Disney by any means. It's a fun little park--we'd just done 5 days at Disneyland, and Legoland was a nice relaxing change of pace kind of day.

Legoland is only 5 minutes from my house so we've been there often. Our Legoland has rides basically for the 10 and under set. It also has an aquarium attached to the park as well as a waterpark that is suppose to open by this summer. To me, the one day pass is ridiculously expensive ($75 adults/$65 kids) for the size of the park and what there is to do. Having said that however, the yearly pass is definitely worth it. You can go for a few hours and leave when it gets too crowded. They also have homeschool days during the week.

Can any Californians out there (or just people who have been there ;)) give me the scoop on Legoland? We just found out they are opening a new one in Florida not far from us, and dh is super excited. He loves legos and is hoping they will have restaurants in the park so he can get a job there (he currently manages an Applebee's). Ds is pretty excited too. So what kind of stuff do they have? Do you just walk around and play with different lego sets, or are there rides and such?

We went to Legoland two summers ago. Ds was 10 1/2 and dd was 3. We also took ds two friends (ages 11 and 9). They all had a blast, but the older boys wouldn't have enjoyed it as much even a year older. The food situation was the worst because there is NO food within a 20 mile radius of Legoland in CA (that we could find). It's out in the middle of nowhere. Then, the food in the park is very expensive and marginally good food, especially for the vegetarian boys we had with us. Fortunately, we had some apples and a couple snacks that we enjoyed.

The kids don't remember the food issue, though. They just remember having a blast! Some of the rides are human powered, so they really got a workout making the roller coaster go, or pulling themselves up with pulleys before being released about three stories. There are a couple very fun shows too. I really enjoyed the exhibit of US cities made entirely of regular sized Legos. They had built NYC, Las Vegas, San Francisco, New Orleans (before Katrina), and numerous other cities, with skyscrapers 10 feet high! It was so cool!

Anyway, I'm really glad we went. Hopefully, the one in FL will have better food choices.

I live near Legoland and had passes for many years. There are rides, shows, mini-land (major cities recreated with Legos), and lots of areas to play. There is a huge wooden structure to climb all over (with nets, slides and tubes to crawl through), water play areas and a mini golf course. There are different areas to build with Legos (like making cars and racing them).

They don't have upscale dining but the places that they do have are a bit better than most theme park food (IMO). There were articles in the paper when they first opened about how they wanted to offer more healthy choices.

Check out their website to get a better idea of what's available.

http://www.legoland.com/california.htm

Margie

I agree with Tiffany that it is expensive. However, adding a second day to the one-day pass is ridiculously cheap (a few bucks, IIRC). When we visited Legoland, we went back on the second day. It was perfect for us. DS, about 7yo at the time, has sensory integration problems, and Legoland was exciting for him but not overwhelming. The rides are outside, where you can see them before you get on, which made him much more comfortable. (He refused to go on rides like It's A Small World at Disney where you can't see what it will be like ahead of time.) There's also at least one excellent playground there.

Wendi