Menu

I am afraid of "The Book Thief"

I really want to read this book because it is widely recommended...however I am rather saturated with Nazi/Holocaust issues because of past studies I have done.

Does this book contain scenes of horrific violence and degradation? If it is a story told and includes the necessary hardships of WWII, I am okay with it. I am just not sure that I want to read about r*pe, detailed horrific murders and torture.

Can someone tell me a little without being too specific?

Normally, I don't like books that I think will be horribly depressing, extremely violent, etc....

However, I read The Book Thief last year & it was one of the best books I read in 2009. There is not horrific violence/graphic detail in it like you describe. For sure, I was sobbing in parts. But, it's a terrific story, wonderfully told. I think it's worth your time & heart to read.

Normally, I don't like books that I think will be horribly depressing, extremely violent, etc....

However, I read The Book Thief last year & it was one of the best books I read in 2009. There is not horrific violence/graphic detail in it like you describe. For sure, I was sobbing in parts. But, it's a terrific story, wonderfully told. I think it's worth your time & heart to read.

:iagree: I thoroughly enjoyed reading it on my Kindle!

:iagree::iagree:

It's one of those books I couldn't stop thinking about for a long time. "Haunting" but not in a bad way. There was a lot of swearing, but it was all in German so I knew they were swearing but had no idea what they were saying. There were some tough scenes, but nothing over the top and nothing terribly graphic. I highly recommend it.

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful book. Beautiful language, beautiful imagery, even amidst hardship.

I paid a rather unreasonable amount for the only available hard copy I could find of one Zuzak's earlier books. No regrets.

We have all of his bks, and even the Audible versions of most as well (Bk Thief Audible is amazing) All of them are wonderful, wonderful, just wonderful. I can't wait till Zuzak puts pen to paper again!

I just finished it. The closest it comes to horrific is when a Jew is beaten with a whip. And Death talks about how he felt when he was scooping up souls from the crematoriums, but it's not an in-depth description of the Jews who were being gassed.

There is a LOT of swearing in it. The mom is constantly swearing at her adopted daughter, her husband, etc. It took me a while to realize that she was using the words in an affectionate manner, even if the actual words she was calling them were awful words. There are parts in German as well, but he does a good job translating it each time instead of leaving you guessing (I speak German so I knew exactly what they were saying.)

It really was unlike any other book I've read before.

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful book. Beautiful language, beautiful imagery, even amidst hardship.

I agree. Its heart piercing. The story is told by Death. So, yes, it is hard, but it is not terribly graphic - more psychological. Its sensitive, but from a completely different perspective. That's what makes this story so beautiful, I think.

I agree. Its heart piercing. The story is told by Death. So, yes, it is hard, but it is not terribly graphic - more psychological. Its sensitive, but from a completely different perspective. That's what makes this story so beautiful, I think.

:iagree: This is a MUST read book. It's unlike anything I've ever read. I don't think you'll be sorry. It's so poignant, raw, and moving. I finished it weeks ago, and I still think about it daily. It's that profound.

We have all of his bks, and even the Audible versions of most as well (Bk Thief Audible is amazing) All of them are wonderful, wonderful, just wonderful. I can't wait till Zuzak puts pen to paper again!

I just finished another book he wrote called The Messenger. Not as dramatic, I didn't think, as The Book Thief, but I found myself reading late into the night. Possible spoiler: I didn't think the ending fit with the rest of the book, however. I think a different ending could have tied it all together better.

I just finished another book he wrote called The Messenger. Not as dramatic, I didn't think, as The Book Thief, but I found myself reading late into the night. Possible spoiler: I didn't think the ending fit with the rest of the book, however. I think a different ending could have tied it all together better.

I agree with you. The ending was a bit of a let down--still a good book, but I thought the Book Thief was better. Like poetry.

My dd will be pleased that she is not alone in her assessment of the end. However, the opening scene of I am the Messenger is brilliant...in a sort of a demented fashion. In spite of the end, I enjoyed this book as much as The Book Thief but in a different way.

Funny, we liked the ending... To each his own.

You simply should read the book. I agree what everyone has said. it's a very moving book.

I listened to it on my ipod. It is fantastic in audio! I even have DH listening to it when he runs. He says that the book grabs you and pulls you into the story, and he never says that about a book.