Menu

Multiplication helps

My 9 year old daughter is not a math person by nature and is struggling with the multiplication facts...I have considered some fo the more expensive books (times tales etc), but then I started looking on Amazon and noticed all sorts of books aimed to help kids learn their facts, but I have no idea if any of them are really any good. Does anybody have any thoughts on the subject for me? Thanks.

Kathy

my poor 9 yod had issues remembering because we had our school interrupted often last year. It was inconsistency that hurt her the most!

BUT, I learned about Timez Attack here. Does she like to play video games? Timez Attack is a game you download on your computer for $30 or $40. My daughter has mastered her multiplication facts because of this game and she had fun doing it. You can't go on to the next level (number) until you've completed the current one. It was a break in "school" as it was considered more "fun."

I don't remember if there were online multiplication games but there's a lot of free stuff out there. I personally LOVE spellingcity.com where you can enter your child's spelling list and they can do online games AND you can print fun papers for them, too.

Guest mrs. logic
My 9 year old daughter is not a math person by nature and is struggling with the multiplication facts...I have considered some fo the more expensive books (times tales etc), but then I started looking on Amazon and noticed all sorts of books aimed to help kids learn their facts, but I have no idea if any of them are really any good. Does anybody have any thoughts on the subject for me? Thanks.

Kathy

How about "School House Rock?"

I was looking for somehting more along the lines of something OTHER than drill sheets, flash cards etc. I found some interesting ones on amazon, but I was hoping someone here could say, "this is what we used and it worked like a charm....OR...this is what we tried and it was a bomb..."

For my son it was repetition repetition repetition. We did worksheets every single day for months on end.

I also got a math shark. Its a handheld device and it drills addition, subtraction, multiplication, division.

My son loved it and thought of it more of as a toy than learning his multiplication facts.

My dd is dyslexic and has been struggling so much with her times tables (as she did with her addition facts). We use MUS so we work for mastery.

Lots of worksheets for repitition (printed from the MUS website) , Wrap Ups b/c you can take them in the car or to appointments, Math Shark b/c she likes electronics, triangle flash cards for drilling, and finally Times Tales b/c it associates a story to the facts that is fun and memorable.

We have and use all of these at different times with varying levels of success. The one that gave us the most success was Times Tales, but I like having a variety of of interesting options b/c you never know which one is going to work for your kid. Hth!

Edited by Paintedlady

I read somewhere that a child has to recite something 100-150 times for it to stay in his long term memory. I thought my son might have some learning blocks, because I was sure it was taking him longer. Then I really looked at how often he recited his times tables, and it was only about 3 times a week. I changed to 6 days a week, and that has made a HUGE difference for him.

HeatherM

We're not quite there yet, but to help with skip counting, I have ordered the CD "Multiplication Motivation." It has some very catchy songs on it that I remember learning in fourth grade! I could still sing the lyrics after all these years to find the CD. It was an amazing help to me, and the songs are really cute (IMHO).

My oldest is in public school, and I am shocked (okay, not really shocked, but...) to find that they are not really teaching DD9 times tables at all. They kinda touch on multiplication, and teach some ridiculous "techniques" to figure it out, without really drilling these facts into their heads. It appears they are doing the same for division as well.

I like Timez Attackz, but my ultra-sensitive daughter didn't like the troll. So we are sticking with afterschooling her with a Kumon workbook. It seems to be working so far. She's getting through it quickly and easily, and it seems to be sticking.

We use Righstart Math, and dd has learned her multiplication facts without angst or pressure by using the RS method of learning multiples. RS uses games to help kids learn multiples and games to help kids practice facts, as well as the more traditional worksheet and drill methods.

You can purchase the entire Math Games package for $50, or you can purchase just the multiplication games for $7.50. Here are the links if you would like to learn more. Good luck!

http://activitiesforlearning.com/mathcardgames.aspx

http://activitiesforlearning.com/multiplicationgamesboxed.aspx