Menu

Discolored baby tooth

I would get it checked. My son just had to have a baby tooth extracted because it would have meant something like a root canal. Our new dentist found it and said baby teeth decay very quickly. Our ds had been to a dentist only 7 months prior and nothing was said about it, so I'm assuming it happened in between that time.

I would just watch it. My dd had a tooth die after she got kicked in the face by her sister. We spent a lot of money and several dentist visits having a pulpectomy done. This was at our dentists recommendation. My nephew had the same thing happen, and 3 years later, the tooth is still gray, but nothing else has happened. Since talking to our doc, he said that it would have been fine to leave it as is, but just keep an eye on it for infection or decay.

My oldest dd injured her front tooth when she was one. It took around two years before I noticed it turning gray. I brought her to the dentist to have it check out. Since she was only 3, they decided to leave it in and just fill it, as it was causing infections in her gums. Every dentist we took her too said to leave it since it was holding the place for her permanent tooth. The rotten little bugger came out finally when she was six. Her permanent tooth came in beautifully. The others..... not so much, but that was due to the nature of the injury. I would just take your dc to the dentist and see what they say is the best course of action for your kid.

Both of my older dc fell when they were 18 months old, and each ended up with a discolored front tooth. We didn't do anything about it, and they fell out in the normal course of time. Dd's turned grey, and ds's turned white. Neither got cavities, and neither fell out early or anything.

I'd just watch it, and take the dc to the dentist when it was time for a regular checkup.

we also didn't do anything about a grey tooth (fairly grey too). When she hurt it, the dentist said it could grey but he didn't expect too much trouble.

Only difference was that her tooth as it loosened, stuck forward, before falling out. Sister tossed book at her when she was 6 and tooth came out. Sister felt bad, but my daughter told her thanks! LOL

It'd be best to go to the dentist. For the most part they will plan to just watch it BUT they will typically want to xray to make sure the permanent tooth has not been damaged. As long as the root of the baby tooth is ok and the permanent tooth is ok (could be damaged if the baby tooth is pushing on it from the fall) they will leave the tooth and just keep checking it at each apt until it falls out. As soon as they note a problem they will probably recommend pulling it to prevent the permanent tooth from being damaged.

My DD fell and chipped the entire corner off her tooth when she was 2. They still just keep tabs on that tooth at each apt but it is causing no problems so they leave it alone.

Oh - My father is a retired dentist so I have their current ped dentist, his father (thier old ped dentist), and my father all agreeing with each other so I'm pretty sure we're good, lol.

Our youngest son injured one of his front teeth in an accident when he was about 3, and the tooth soon turned grey (died). We chose not to go with any expensive interventions, and just let the tooth be. It stayed in place with no complications until he lost it several years later, to be replaced by a perfectly healthy adult tooth.

I would bring ds in to at least have it checked. I learned the hard way. My ds fell on our tile and chipped his baby tooth. We did not bring him in right away and a few months later it started turning gray. Just a few weeks later we noticed that the chip was looking rounded instead of straight. We then brought him in.....the decay in that one chipped tooth was spreading to his other teeth--he ended up having a couple teeth pulled and some crowned. The chip in the tooth was rounded because it was softening and just the act of biting an apple was rounding the tooth--it was that soft. The decay spread so fast! The dentist crowned the teeth he could save so that our ds would be able to learn to pronounce his words properly. He has now lost all his crowns and his adult teeth are healthy and solid!!YEAH!

FYI: We brought him to a pediatric dentist and still do. He looks forward to going to the dentist every 6 months--they are that good with children!!

Thanks everyone! I have not had great luck with dentists here in Bangalore. I took the kids in for a routine cleaning and check-up and the dentist told me they were too young (3 & 8) for there to be anything to clean! She took about a 10 second look in each mouth and sent us home!! I will get this looked at by someone, however.

Thanks everyone! I have not had great luck with dentists here in Bangalore. I took the kids in for a routine cleaning and check-up and the dentist told me they were too young (3 & 8) for there to be anything to clean! She took about a 10 second look in each mouth and sent us home!! I will get this looked at by someone, however.

Most likely it will be fine but if possible it is best to get it checked. If you can't get it checked because there just isn't anyone keep an eye on it and watch for it to change. Gray does usually mean the tooth is dead or dying but it doesn't mean it will cause a problem at all. Sometimes they just wait until the adult tooth pushes it out and all is well.

It'd be best to go to the dentist. For the most part they will plan to just watch it BUT they will typically want to xray to make sure the permanent tooth has not been damaged. As long as the root of the baby tooth is ok and the permanent tooth is ok (could be damaged if the baby tooth is pushing on it from the fall) they will leave the tooth and just keep checking it at each apt until it falls out. As soon as they note a problem they will probably recommend pulling it to prevent the permanent tooth from being damaged.

This is what my dentist said, too, when my DD banged her tooth on some concrete and it turned gray here a few weeks ago. The gray color is actually going away now, but it is good to know that she hasn't banged up her permanent tooth.

This is what my dentist said, too, when my DD banged her tooth on some concrete and it turned gray here a few weeks ago. The gray color is actually going away now, but it is good to know that she hasn't banged up her permanent tooth.

same here w/dd1 but the dentist took x-rays and said it was not dead. it went back to its regular color in a couple of weeks and they said that teeth bruise, just like our arms do, and the bruise goes away with time (there are times when it is gray and dead, though, so definitely get it x-rayed if you can)