Menu

similar to FIAR

That's not the one I was thinking of.

I've looked at it, and it does look nice-- the way it's laid out and everything-- but I'm not sure I can handle doing that much bible. I'm not opposed to xtian content, but I don't think I can do everything being about it. My beliefs aren't mainstream. And I prefer to have science that is not creation based.

fwiw - I never read the FIAR books 5 days in a row. :) I will read them on the first day, then refer to the specifics in the book as we progress through the lessons. It works just fine. If the kids want the book more than once, then I am open to reading it more. oth - There are some of the books that we still read often even after doing them in my older dd's K year, and some that the kids were happy for me to trade to someone else.

I have done the first book with the oldest by herself then later in a co-op. I'm planning to go through it again with the youngest next year when she is actually in K but only doing our favorite books from Vol. 1 then adding in Vol. 2.

fwiw - I never read the FIAR books 5 days in a row. :) I will read them on the first day, then refer to the specifics in the book as we progress through the lessons. It works just fine. If the kids want the book more than once, then I am open to reading it more. oth - There are some of the books that we still read often even after doing them in my older dd's K year, and some that the kids were happy for me to trade to someone else.

I have done the first book with the oldest by herself then later in a co-op. I'm planning to go through it again with the youngest next year when she is actually in K but only doing our favorite books from Vol. 1 then adding in Vol. 2.

That does help. I had always heard it was crucial to the program to read the book 5 days in a row. I like the idea of the program for my little guy, but don't think he would go for reading the same book that many times. Unless it just happened to be one he really liked.

That does help. I had always heard it was crucial to the program to read the book 5 days in a row. I like the idea of the program for my little guy, but don't think he would go for reading the same book that many times. Unless it just happened to be one he really liked.

FIAR books are very engaging. Most kids enjoy reading them everyday but some don't. No big deal. You can either just refer to the book by saying "Remember in the book we read yesterday..." or just re-read the pertinent part of the book for your lesson on the days you do lessons and not read the whole story. On art days you can just look at the pictures, you don't have to read it if you don't want to.

The idea is that reading the story daily is built in review. You talk and discuss while you read after a day or two instead of just reading straight through but that approach isn't natural to everyone. If reading the book everyday doesn't appeal to your child, just use the curriculum in a way that works for you. It's that easy. ;)

We use FIAR. Typically I read the book 3-4 days out of the week. If it was a book that ds balked at reading again I just referred back to it in conversation or sometimes would get it out and look at just the part that had to do with what we were talking about. For example, for an art lesson I might not read the book again but might just look at a few pictures and then we'd do the art lesson. I also found that sometimes on the 3rd or 4th reading I'd give him something to search for in the book that had to do with that day's lesson and that would keep him interested. So I might say, I want you to look for all the times you can find a -------- on the page and then later our lesson would relate to what he searched for.

It surprised me that some books he wanted to hear five days in a row. Some he didn't. He was 4 when I started though so still at the age where they do like to hear books over and over.

FIAR books are very engaging. Most kids enjoy reading them everyday but some don't. No big deal. You can either just refer to the book by saying "Remember in the book we read yesterday..." or just re-read the pertinent part of the book for your lesson on the days you do lessons and not read the whole story. On art days you can just look at the pictures, you don't have to read it if you don't want to. ;)
:iagree:

We do read the books 4-5 days, but I could see how some children wouldn't want that. One thing that we do that helps dd stay engages with the books 5 days in a row is we follow the vocabulary suggestion. We pick out a few vocabulary words the first day, and then we read them before reading the book each day, and dd loves identifying the vocab words as we read. But dd is a very verbal child, so that might not work with a child that is not.

Picture Book Activities:Fun and Games For Preschoolers Based on 50 Favorite Children's Books by Trish Kuffner! (I'd link it, but my computer isn't cooperationg.) I loved this book! It covers a lot of the same books (and a whole lot more) as B4FIAR with numerous activities too boot, including cooking, field trips, crafts, educational activities and all sorts of stuff.

FWIW, we didn't read the same book each day either. There were certainly favorites we read repeatedly over time, but not every single day for the sake of the lesson.

Ooooops-sorry! You asked about FIAR-not B4FIAR.

Picture Book Activities:Fun and Games For Preschoolers Based on 50 Favorite Children's Books by Trish Kuffner! (I'd link it, but my computer isn't cooperationg.) I loved this book! It covers a lot of the same books (and a whole lot more) as B4FIAR with numerous activities too boot, including cooking, field trips, crafts, educational activities and all sorts of stuff.

FWIW, we didn't read the same book each day either. There were certainly favorites we read repeatedly over time, but not every single day for the sake of the lesson.