Menu

I'd like some help, advice, opinions! :)

Sahamamama

We're newbies. ;) We're doing "official" Kindergarten and Preschool this year, and it's going well so far. There's just one part of our curriculum that I feel isn't firmed up enough -- music. We do seatwork for the K'er in the morning, then have snack/break, then do our "Subject of the Day." On Wednesdays, it's Music Time. We've simply been putting in a Wee Sing CD (various ones), and the girls and I move around, do the motions, sing the songs. It's fun, but I think it needs more structure.

I have, love, and could use this for Music, but I like it so much that I want to start it next year, when the twins are four. It's just too perfect for next year to use it now, KWIM? They're three (the K'er is five), and while they like music, I want to keep this session very "Preschooly" -- not focusing on teaching music concepts/performance as such, but simply enjoying music, singing, moving, dancing, and playing instruments (i.e., banging on a drum!). KWIM? Sort of like a combination of this for the twins and this for my K'er, but at home. ;) I'd like to also have the energy to do motion songs, action songs, creative movement, and structured movement with the girls during Music Time, but that's another story.... :lol:

One thought I had was to use the teacher's lesson book from Little Mozarts to make a list of simple concepts that might give some "content" to the lessons, then bring that concept out as we dance, have fun, and sing. In other words, put the music on and move, but have a lesson objective in my head, so it feels as though we are learning something.... not just bouncing around the living room. Does this make sense? It also wouldn't bother me at all to revisit all these concepts next year through the Little Mozarts course. Repetition is good.

Any advice? How do you structure a devoted "Music Time" for this age range? :bigear:

I hated k12's music. It was not fun in the least and it felt very much like a chore. So many people I've talked to do not like the music program.

What do you recommend?

I don't really feel as though I need a packaged program, just some ideas for how to make our Music Time more structured. Last year we simply put on music and sang and danced, and that was fine for last year. But this year, it feels as though we need something more.... I don't know what, exactly, but my oldest does look a bit bored with "Head and Shoulders, Knees and Toes!" :glare: The three year olds love it, of course, but I do think we could have some explicit instruction thrown in with the nonsense. For example, the first lesson of Little Mozarts teaches that there are high sounds and low sounds, where these are on the keyboard, and how you go from high to low and low to high (glissando). Another concept taught is LOUD sounds and soft sounds. Another lesson teaches clapping on a rhythm -- clap, clap, clap, rest, clap, clap, clap, rest. It's that sort of thing that I think adds value/interest to our Music Time, but without actually using the program, our Music Time is a bit lame.

Any suggestions?

We were lucky at that age that our library has a music teacher that does preschool/K music classes as part of the storytime rotation (one month storytime, one month music, etc.) It gave me a good idea of what to do at home. In a one hour class she usually did an introductory song, the same one every time. Then a song w/movement. Sometimes marching and skipping around the room, or dancing w/scarves while discussing briefly fast and slow, loud and soft, and sometimes a finger play one. Then she had either a rhythm instrument song, or parachute time. Obviously you can't do a parachute at home, but you can get out your instruments to keep beat :) And then she always had a musical story of some type. She would have one about music while music played, or one that suggested music, or one that was a book to a known children's song that she sang as she turned the pictures. Then a goodbye song. I liked the structure of her class.

I use the books, What Your Kindergartner Needs to know for ideas w/my young ones (and each book after.) They have portions to read, and activities, songs, and lists of books or videos to go along. Then in 1st I have mine start some music theory too. HTH.

We were lucky at that age that our library has a music teacher that does preschool/K music classes as part of the storytime rotation (one month storytime, one month music, etc.) It gave me a good idea of what to do at home. In a one hour class she usually did an introductory song, the same one every time. Then a song w/movement. Sometimes marching and skipping around the room, or dancing w/scarves while discussing briefly fast and slow, loud and soft, and sometimes a finger play one. Then she had either a rhythm instrument song, or parachute time. Obviously you can't do a parachute at home, but you can get out your instruments to keep beat :) And then she always had a musical story of some type. She would have one about music while music played, or one that suggested music, or one that was a book to a known children's song that she sang as she turned the pictures. Then a goodbye song. I liked the structure of her class.

I use the books, What Your Kindergartner Needs to know for ideas w/my young ones (and each book after.) They have portions to read, and activities, songs, and lists of books or videos to go along. Then in 1st I have mine start some music theory too. HTH.

Thank you! These are great ideas, I'm going to cut and paste this into my music teacher folder, and work from there! Thanks!

Also, I had forgotten that the What Your books have a fine arts section. I have these, so I'm going now to bring them up from the basement. These ideas ought to give me a starting point for working out something simple with structure. Thanks!

Do you mind if I ask, What do you use for music theory in first grade?

What do you recommend?

I don't really feel as though I need a packaged program, just some ideas for how to make our Music Time more structured. Last year we simply put on music and sang and danced, and that was fine for last year. But this year, it feels as though we need something more.... I don't know what, exactly, but my oldest does look a bit bored with "Head and Shoulders, Knees and Toes!" :glare: The three year olds love it, of course, but I do think we could have some explicit instruction thrown in with the nonsense. For example, the first lesson of Little Mozarts teaches that there are high sounds and low sounds, where these are on the keyboard, and how you go from high to low and low to high (glissando). Another concept taught is LOUD sounds and soft sounds. Another lesson teaches clapping on a rhythm -- clap, clap, clap, rest, clap, clap, clap, rest. It's that sort of thing that I think adds value/interest to our Music Time, but without actually using the program, our Music Time is a bit lame.

Any suggestions?

I'm looking for some myself which is why I clicked on this thread. I haven't found a music program that we like yet. K12's music was weird and my kids just looked at me like I was insane for even wanting to try it with them. Right now I'm just teaching them the instruments using the book Story of the Orchestra.

I'm using Story of the Orchestra as well. It's nice because we can read about the instrument and then she gets to hear it on the cd. She seems to enjoy it!

Yes, we're using Story of the Orchestra as part of our complete music program. It's a good resource. Thanks for mentioning it. :001_smile:

I hated k12's music. It was not fun in the least and it felt very much like a chore. So many people I've talked to do not like the music program.

I like k12's music program. In fact, it was what came to my mind when I read the OP. That said, I agree that most people do not like it. It teaches music concepts in a way that is painfully slow for the intended age. However, I think that the 1st and 2nd grade levels are perfect for younger children. I don't have experience with the kindergarten level.

I have done Beginning Music 1 & 2 through a virtual school with a 2nd-3rd ds and am currently doing Beginning Music 1 with a 1st grade ds. The ds doing it now rolls his eyes at the silly songs and doesn't want to do it, but he loved it as a 3yo. I also now have a 2yo and a 4yo, who love to sing the silly songs, and do drag their brother into it.

The k12 music program uses the Kodaly Method in the early years. I'm not sure how closely it follows that method, since I had never heard of it before we did k12 music. Basically your children learn movable-do solfege (do, re, mi, etc.) and rhythm syllables (ta, ti-ti, etc.). They learn this very gently through listening, singing, playing games, and moving their bodies to gradually learning solfege hand signs and placing notes on the staff, and clapping and writing rhythm patterns. I have seen the benefit to this program for my oldest ds, especially the solfege training. However, if you have an extensive music background, or you expect your children will learn music concepts later through other methods, you might find the program tedious.

My girls both go to a local music program which I suspect is like Kindermusik ('though I know NOTHING about Kindermusik). We've been doing the lessons since my eldest was just under two, I think. She is in the third level of group piano class now, and I am amazed at what she has learned. It's pretty pricey (appr. $120 per month for both girls), but it's their only consistent paid activity. They'll likely be involved in Upward Soccer and Basketball in the future, but neither of those would add too much to our activity expenditures.

I suppose I wrote all that to say that the "outsourced" music classes have been worthwhile for us, especially since they all (from the baby class up through the piano classes) require a partner to always be in attendance. This means I end up tutoring them throughout the week when we practice, etc.

I did review a music program called KinderBach for my blog which you might want to check out. You can read my review here.

Well I didn't say Kindermusic was cheap, lol. We did it back when my dd was little, a LONG time ago. Mercy, I don't even remember what we paid. But I do know it got DONE and gave us good memories. Now we have the cd's out and play them and do the things with my new little one. So if you sign up just one age group (either the 3's or the 5), the other will still benefit from what you bring home.

What do you recommend?

Any suggestions?

I was looking for something like Kindermusic and found a review of this curriculum. http://www.giamusic.com/products/P-5880.cfm

Also, at very young ages, I love Six Little Ducks (popular kid's folk songs) from Sonlight and MFW's music appreciation (classical music). They are both secular and have suggested activities to go with the songs.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I was looking for something like Kindermusic and found a review of this curriculum. http://www.giamusic.com/products/P-5880.cfm

Also, at very young ages, I love Six Little Ducks (popular kid's folk songs) from Sonlight and MFW's music appreciation (classical music). They are both secular and have suggested activities to go with the songs.

Yeah! Thanks for these suggestions! I'm adding them to my list, and we'll see what floats to the top, LOL! I'll check out all of these, thank you!

classical music/composer; hymn; folk song rotation like amblesideonline.org in addition to your wee sing songs. ??? Maybe some hand made percussion instruments (drums, water in glasses, etc.) or hand bells. P and K? I'd keep it simple and fun.

classical music/composer; hymn; folk song rotation like amblesideonline.org in addition to your wee sing songs. ??? Maybe some hand made percussion instruments (drums, water in glasses, etc.) or hand bells. P and K? I'd keep it simple and fun.

I was thinking something along those lines, too! Something like this:

• 30 minutes -- Wee Sing/Folk Songs with marching, moving & banging a drum!

• 10 minutes -- Mommy catches her breath ;) and reads a little bit about a composer (right now it's J.S. Bach). We'd focus on one composer per quarter.

• 20 minutes -- Listen to the composer's music, while the girls do their "dreamy" dance. (They are so cute, really).

We incorporate hymns into our Prims days (Mondays & Tuesdays), and listen at other times. I like the idea of having the above components as the underlying structure of the Music Time (Wednesdays). Thanks for the ideas. Oh, and I had no idea Ambleside had a music layout, so I'll go over there and check this out! Thanks!