Menu

Memoria Press Kindergarten - has anybody gotten a good look at this yet?

LynnG in Arizona

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest aquiverfull

Thank you both!! :)

That is very helpful and it's really great to see that is is highly recommended by Don Potter.

I love the idea of the MP K program. I feel the same as many of you, because I feel like I've failed on trying to do things with my little ones. They really aren't school age yet, but I had plans to do things with them and more often than not, it just doesn't happen because of doing school with my older dd. I also figured having a schedule would help me actually do K next year. :)

Thanks so much for the info.

It's scheduled for Mondays to go along with the Copybook time, which uses Scripture. It starts being scheduled in Week 3. So in the sample shown at the link, on Monday you would introduce the verse, read it from a Bible, and then use the Golden Children's Bible to read the context of the verse.

You would go on later in the week to study the verse and unfamiliar words, grammar, punctuation; memorize the verse; copy the verse; proofread and correct; illustrate; then review all verses. These same verses will be reviewed again in the Christian Studies Books used in 3rd-5th grade.

I just thought I'd let you know that my Kindergarten program arrived today. However, I have mixed feelings about the product. It is truly everything I've wanted in a program. But, while I love all the content, especially the enrichment, recitation and memorization passages, I am dissapointed with the presentation of the First Start Reading, Word Mastery and curriculum manual. I was very surprised that the covers are card stock and comb bound. For the money I spent, I expected it to be more professional looking, like the bindings of the copybooks. Even spiral bindings would look more professional. I can't even see the Word Mastery book standing up to years of use the way it is. This is truly disappointing to me. Did others receive their's in this condition, as well?

I just thought I'd let you know that my Kindergarten program arrived today. However, I have mixed feelings about the product. It is truly everything I've wanted in a program. But, while I love all the content, especially the enrichment, recitation and memorization passages, I am dissapointed with the presentation of the First Start Reading, Word Mastery and curriculum manual. I was very surprised that the covers are card stock and comb bound. For the money I spent, I expected it to be more professional looking, like the bindings of the copybooks. Even spiral bindings would look more professional. I can't even see the Word Mastery book standing up to years of use the way it is. This is truly disappointing to me. Did others receive their's in this condition, as well?

Actually, it never crossed my mind.:001_huh: I thought the price was very reasonable with all the stuff that came with it. I guess I am used to Sonlight where you just get loose papers that you put in a binder for an IG and the First Start Reading is consumable so it was fine for us.;) Content is worth it IMHO.:)

Guest aquiverfull

Thanks for letting us know about the products momofabcd. I think I had read that somewhere else. The thing that's holding me back is the phonics. I'm not sure I will like that part of it, since I really like an O-G approach to teaching children to read and spell. Am I remembering correctly that you've used the Phonics Road and AAS? Can you share how this phonics program would compare to those? Thanks!

Thanks for letting us know about the products momofabcd. I think I had read that somewhere else. The thing that's holding me back is the phonics. I'm not sure I will like that part of it, since I really like an O-G approach to teaching children to read and spell. Am I remembering correctly that you've used the Phonics Road and AAS? Can you share how this phonics program would compare to those? Thanks!

I'm still planning on using Phonics Road with my next two dd's. So I am using FS phonics program a little differently than described. I will teach my dd to mark words as in Phonics Road. I'm also teaching all the sounds of the phonograms as we learn them. So when we encounter a sight word, I will be able to phonetically teach her. I'm a huge unbeliever in sight words. I'm starting Phonics Road in 1st grade (maybe in the middle of K) because levels three and four are so advanced. I can't imagine having my dd do level 4 as a 3rd grader. FS teaches one sound at a time, and is very heavy on forming the "blending" habit in dc, which I like. Another thing I am liking about FS, is that they really pound the short vowel sounds into dc. I have a ds who constantly mixes short "i" and "e" when spelling (my product of BJU child) One thing that is similar, is that dc learn to spell the words as they are learning to read them. PR is based on the Ayers List, while FS and Word Mastery use word families. AAS uses word families, as well. From what I can tell, there is no marking system in FS. PR has a marking system, AAS uses the letter tiles. FS uses a system of ear training, tongue training, eye training then word building. I would say PR and AAS do the same thing. I love Phonics Road! I'm just buying time. For me, FS will be easy to adapt to my needs, and will be a gentle, thorough start to reading. AAS is great for spelling, imo. But, I wouldn't use it to teach reading. It moves very slowly. I chose PR because it was an integrated LA program. I feel very similar to johnandtinagilbert about it.

Guest aquiverfull

Deena,

Thank you for your very thorough explanation. I really appreciate it. :)

I like what I see of Phonics Road. I'm a little hesitant to buy it though. I worry about spending so much and what if it doesn't work out with one of my children? I'm not sure how many of your children that you've used it with, but do you think it will be a good fit for all of them? Thanks!

I believe that is one of the reasons for the introductory price. I am assuming that once the books are back from the printer and in the standard book form used by Memoria Press the price will reflect the improved quality.

I took apart all of my comb-bound books. The Word Mastery and Curriculum guide I put into plastic sleeves and the workbooks for my ds I just put in a file folder to easily pull out each sheet as he needs it. If I planned to reuse the books for several children I might wait for the books to be printed so they would hold up better over time. As I am only using it for my last child - the comb-bindings don't worry me at all.

Deena,

Thank you for your very thorough explanation. I really appreciate it. :)

I like what I see of Phonics Road. I'm a little hesitant to buy it though. I worry about spending so much and what if it doesn't work out with one of my children? I'm not sure how many of your children that you've used it with, but do you think it will be a good fit for all of them? Thanks!

I used PR levels 1 and 2 with my two older dc. They are about as opposite as you can get in all aspects of life. They both did very well with it. I decided not to use the next two levels with them because it is so teacher intensive, and I wanted something more independent for them for their ages. I'm positive that it will work for my next two, and I'm planning on using all four levels with them. :001_smile:

I believe that is one of the reasons for the introductory price. I am assuming that once the books are back from the printer and in the standard book form used by Memoria Press the price will reflect the improved quality.

I took apart all of my comb-bound books. The Word Mastery and Curriculum guide I put into plastic sleeves and the workbooks for my ds I just put in a file folder to easily pull out each sheet as he needs it. If I planned to reuse the books for several children I might wait for the books to be printed so they would hold up better over time. As I am only using it for my last child - the comb-bindings don't worry me at all.

Okay, I see. I thought the introductory price was to get it out there because it's a new product. Thanks for clearing this up for me. I do plan to reuse the material for one more child, so I would like it to hold up. I guess I'll have to resort to binders.

Guest aquiverfull
I used PR levels 1 and 2 with my two older dc. They are about as opposite as you can get in all aspects of life. They both did very well with it. I decided not to use the next two levels with them because it is so teacher intensive, and I wanted something more independent for them for their ages. I'm positive that it will work for my next two, and I'm planning on using all four levels with them. :001_smile:

Thank you Deena!! I appreciate you sharing your plans and experiences with me. :)

I just got mine today in the mail and only had a chance to briefly look at it (just to make sure it was all there), but just from that quick glance, I can say that it is definitely a major step up from MFW-K. I was afraid a lot of it would be review for my DD, but that was definitely an unfounded fear. I'm not sure if MFW-K is just more relaxed or if MP is just advanced, but there is a serious discrepancy between the 2 programs. So far I like the looks of the materials but need to sit down with it all to really get a feel for the program.

Now it REALLY makes me want to buy the 1st and 2nd grade programs when they come out.

Can someone who has the K guide please tell me how the Primary Phonics sets and ALS readers are incorporated into this curriculum? I guess what I want to know is if we could use other readers we have access to or is it important to have these readers.

Do you think these resources are also used in year 1?

Thanks for any help!

Another question here - I heard that reading and writing are tied together in this program, how well you think it would work for a child who is dysgraphic? Is there a lot of writing and/or is it easy to modify? I worry especially about the dictation, given that ds has sensory-motor planning problems and can't write without a model.

• 1 month later...

Now that I have this in my hot little hands - be warned this is program has a LOT of writing. I mean, A LOT. My writing-resistant boy will not be able to handle it. I haven't gone over it thoroughly, so I haven't yet figured out how we will tweak it, but this is not a program I would consider for a young K'er or anyone with fine motor struggles (it doesn't look like the books or the math can be modified to use stamps). Just thought I'd put that out there ... conceptually everything looks great!

One other note: the phonics programs are VERY visually stimulating/cluttered. If you are one who felt that Phonics Pathways or ETC was not for you, this program will likely not be the best fit (on the flip side if you love either of those programs, you will likely love MP K too).

Ds has visual distraction issues, so I will likely be inputing a lot of the material into StartWrite to clean up the lines. This program may work just fine for some boys, but from what I have learned with my 2, it doesn't pass my personal "boy-friendly" test (just in the formatting, not in the content).

Edited by FairProspects

Now that more people have been using it, I'm wondering if there are any more insights into what kind of learner this program would be good for?

I spent hours going over the lesson plans last night. I would say this program is going to be best for a very visual, verbal learner, with good-excellent fine motor skills. Most of the phonics & math is in workbook form, so a workbook lover would be a plus. Writing is tied to reading so fine motor skills and knowing how to write, even longer complete sentences, before beginning is a good idea.

It includes LOTS of recitation/memory work which is why it would be good for a verbal child. It averages multiple recitations per week, one poem, a longish memory verse, morning prayer recitation and additional memory work like address, phone number, the pledge of allegiance, etc.

The heavy emphasis on verbal/communication and fine motor skills, as well as the use of visual workbooks, is why I stated above that I didn't feel it was "boy-friendly" as these are typically skills that girls excel in earlier than boys. This program would be ideal for a student who wants to "do school" and has all skills in place and is ready to sit for longer periods of bookwork.

My opinion is that it will not work as well for kinesthetic learners, struggling or resistant learners or those who prefer independent discovery with materials. My primarily kinesthetic ds who is extremely young and wiggly for his age, as well as resistant to any book-work is going to have an extremely tough time with this program. I actually contemplated turning it around and selling it immediately, but I think instead I will just use the phonics part completely tweaked.

The teacher's manual specifically stated not to be intimidated by the memory work, or to underestimate the child, and I generally like the concept of memory work, but this is just too much for my 5 y.o. ds. We do memorize a poem every few weeks, and some memory verses, but to try and keep up with 3 recitations per week, in addition to prior weeks work, would put him in tears. His verbal skills just aren't there yet.

I do really love the concept, and if I had a daughter who was asking me to do school and/or was very verbal and a good reader, I would probably give it a much different review. I happen to have boys and a homeschool where "art" this week consisted of smashing up chalk with a hammer, and "science" was hitting every metal thing in the house with a magnet to see if it stuck.

That's JMHO. I'd love to hear the other side from someone who loves it with a completely different type of learner than my boys :D.

ETA: It is also mostly consumables, and replacement kits for subsequent siblings are pricey, so that is another aspect to consider if you are planning on using it with multiple children.

Edited by FairProspects

I just started using it this week with my nearly 5 year old DD. So far I am not liking it much at all. BUT it's only the first week and I'm sure a lot of it is due to my DD not wanting to learn right now and not having everything I need yet--I just got the reading book and the main poem book in today at the library. I will plug on because I'm sure it'll work out once we get into it more, she is just used to MFW-K so transitioning may take a few weeks.

On the plus side, my kids really liked the music and art sections this week. I thought that part was kinda a waste of time and considered skipping it altogether, but they liked it so much that I will continue with it.

I spent hours going over the lesson plans last night. I would say this program is going to be best for a very visual, verbal learner, with good-excellent fine motor skills. Most of the phonics & math is in workbook form, so a workbook lover would be a plus. Writing is tied to reading so fine motor skills and knowing how to write, even longer complete sentences, before beginning is a good idea.

It includes LOTS of recitation/memory work which is why it would be good for a verbal child. It averages multiple recitations per week, one poem, a longish memory verse, morning prayer recitation and additional memory work like address, phone number, the pledge of allegiance, etc.

The heavy emphasis on verbal/communication and fine motor skills, as well as the use of visual workbooks, is why I stated above that I didn't feel it was "boy-friendly" as these are typically skills that girls excel in earlier than boys. This program would be ideal for a student who wants to "do school" and has all skills in place and is ready to sit for longer periods of bookwork.

My opinion is that it will not work as well for kinesthetic learners, struggling or resistant learners or those who prefer independent discovery with materials. My primarily kinesthetic ds who is extremely young and wiggly for his age, as well as resistant to any book-work is going to have an extremely tough time with this program. I actually contemplated turning it around and selling it immediately, but I think instead I will just use the phonics part completely tweaked.

The teacher's manual specifically stated not to be intimidated by the memory work, or to underestimate the child, and I generally like the concept of memory work, but this is just too much for my 5 y.o. ds. We do memorize a poem every few weeks, and some memory verses, but to try and keep up with 3 recitations per week, in addition to prior weeks work, would put him in tears. His verbal skills just aren't there yet.

I do really love the concept, and if I had a daughter who was asking me to do school and/or was very verbal and a good reader, I would probably give it a much different review. I happen to have boys and a homeschool where "art" this week consisted of smashing up chalk with a hammer, and "science" was hitting every metal thing in the house with a magnet to see if it stuck.

That's JMHO. I'd love to hear the other side from someone who loves it with a completely different type of learner than my boys :D.

ETA: It is also mostly consumables, and replacement kits for subsequent siblings are pricey, so that is another aspect to consider if you are planning on using it with multiple children.

I agree. I ordered it, looked through it and decided to return it. It just wasn't going to work for my son and by the time I would have finished tweaking, it just made sense to use something else.

I just got mine today in the mail and only had a chance to briefly look at it (just to make sure it was all there), but just from that quick glance, I can say that it is definitely a major step up from MFW-K. I was afraid a lot of it would be review for my DD, but that was definitely an unfounded fear. I'm not sure if MFW-K is just more relaxed or if MP is just advanced, but there is a serious discrepancy between the 2 programs. So far I like the looks of the materials but need to sit down with it all to really get a feel for the program.

Now it REALLY makes me want to buy the 1st and 2nd grade programs when they come out.

My older kids attended Highlands Latin School for K. For financial reasons, we are going to start homeschooling. I am very familiar with the MP K program and I know my 4 year old is not ready for their K program. Do you think MFW-k would make a good pre K?

Thanks!

My older kids attended Highlands Latin School for K. For financial reasons, we are going to start homeschooling. I am very familiar with the MP K program and I know my 4 year old is not ready for their K program. Do you think MFW-k would make a good pre K?

Thanks!

Yes, MFW-K would be a great prek program which is what I used it for with my DD. Her birthday is in June so she had just turned 4 when she started it. It is an extremely gentle program as far as phonics--mostly just introduces them to letter sounds and eventually they get into sounding out words and the year ends with them being able to read probably the first level of BOB books, possibly a little bit more. BUT, it was a great foundation for my DD in learning how to sound words out. She can decode words way better than my DS who is 6. He is definitely more advanced than her, but she can sound words out better and put the sounds together to make a word whereas my DS didn't learn that so well.

I spent hours going over the lesson plans last night. I would say this program is going to be best for a very visual, verbal learner, with good-excellent fine motor skills.

I purchased this for my newly turned 5-year-old daughter who is verbal and visual and has excellent fine motor skills! LOL. She had no reading or writing experience before we started the program. I love it! She loves it! It is perfect for her.

Additionally she has two older siblings and was dying to "do school." That's one of the reasons I went with this more workbook-oriented program. It fit our needs.

As soon as I started using it, I suspected that a boy might have more difficulty with this program. But it truly is a perfect fit for my daughter who begs to do school and loves all her shiny new workbooks. I would have never required that much writing on my own, but she has risen to the challenge. And I think it's been good for her.

I am thrilled with my purchase. But I know it's not for everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

i was wondering if any mp k users had any more updates or reviews after using it. i'm interested in this for my 5 1/2 y old boy. he is very verbal (or at least talks nonstop) and knows his letters. i don't know about his fine motor skills though. i'd start this summer and maybe stretch it out to the end of next summer if needed.

i found this link on the mp website about being ready for the k program

http://www.memoriapress.com/descriptions/sample/Curriculums/PreparingYourChildForKindergarten.pdf

i really like the idea of this program...i just need to sift through wether i like it more for myself or for my son.

I am using this with my DD who is nearly 5 and my DS-6.5 sits in on all the memory/recitation/extra stuff. We're only on week 4 and so far I like it. I didn't the first week but as my DD has gotten used to it, it seems to be working for her. Your DS will need to be able to write quite a bit for it. It looks like there is some form of writing every day--writing letters, numbers, tracing or writing sentences in the copy book. For my DD, this is fine. I let her use a colored pencil for the tracing and she is a happy camper. I think it's pretty basic. Reading, writing, math. With a little extra thrown in. My kids love the music appreciation--I bought percussion instruments for them and they dance around playing their instruments while we listen to the songs.

It involves quite a lot of memory work and recitation. Last week DD memorized the pledge of allegiance. She's also already memorized her address, phone number, and various other things. If your DS doesn't like memorizing things, this might not be a great fit. I actually like this part because it covers skills I'd never really think about--number of letters in the alphabet, the vowels, the compass--it's great having it all laid out so I actually teach it.

I'm not a big fan of all the questions they have you ask for the extra stuff--lit guide questions, music questions, art questions. I try to cover about half the questions each week but doing all of them seems to be overkill for my kids and they tune me out.

I'm waiting for it to speed up a bit--it's pretty slow right now--once we get into the actual reading, I think it'll be even better.

At this point it takes about a half hour at the most to cover the basic skills. Adding in the enrichment section can add 5-30 more minutes depending on how in depth I want to get. As she starts getting into the readers, I'm sure it'll take about an hour.

The program is just kindergarten. I am not sure if it would work as a K-1 2 year program. I honestly don't know enough to say if it would get you to a level to be ready for 2nd grade. My oldest will be starting 2nd grade in the fall and he is for sure beyond this program, but he is my genius kid so it's hard to say what a typical kid should be able to do.

• 2 months later...

I am resurrecting this thread in search of those who have been using Memoria Press kindergarten for a while now.

I am still trying to finalize our kindergarten plans. :blushing: I love the Memoria Press K program, but am not ready to commit to the entire curriculum. I have my heart set on Right Start Math, for one thing, and I am reluctant to have my student do a lot of handwriting (she won't turn 5 until October). In addition, I think the phonics will move too slowly for her. She already has a good handle on her letter sounds (including the diagraphs) and can sound out most short vowel words.

So . . . I am considering using Memoria Press K for all my "other" subjects except for the three biggies of math, phonics, and handwriting. I love their memorization work and literature selections, as well as the gentle exposure to art and music appreciation.

For those of you who have used the program, do you think this would work? Have you been happy with the "enrichment" portion of Memoria Press K? Anything you can tell me about it, the good and the bad?

Thanks again! Any general progress updates about Memoria Press K would also be greatly appreciated. I'm sure there are many of us who would love to know, especially since it's such a new program. :)

"I will not look at another K curriculum. I will not look at another K curriculum". LOL

I spent a small fortune on Sonlight K promising my husband that I could use it over and over and definitely get our money's worth with three kids using it. Memoria Press' K looks awesome. Very tempting. I think if I was doing this all over again the only hesitation I would have is their phonics. I LOVE the OPGTR. I taught my oldest with that and she's reading on a 4th grade level. It's so straight forward and simple. Anyways... it does looks like a fun program.

I am resurrecting this thread in search of those who have been using Memoria Press kindergarten for a while now.

I am still trying to finalize our kindergarten plans. :blushing: I love the Memoria Press K program, but am not ready to commit to the entire curriculum. I have my heart set on Right Start Math, for one thing, and I am reluctant to have my student do a lot of handwriting (she won't turn 5 until October). In addition, I think the phonics will move too slowly for her. She already has a good handle on her letter sounds (including the diagraphs) and can sound out most short vowel words.

So . . . I am considering using Memoria Press K for all my "other" subjects except for the three biggies of math, phonics, and handwriting. I love their memorization work and literature selections, as well as the gentle exposure to art and music appreciation.

For those of you who have used the program, do you think this would work? Have you been happy with the "enrichment" portion of Memoria Press K? Anything you can tell me about it, the good and the bad?

Thanks again! Any general progress updates about Memoria Press K would also be greatly appreciated. I'm sure there are many of us who would love to know, especially since it's such a new program. :)

I haven't used the program but I have emailed with Tanya at MP about it. Math/phonics/handwriting are the CORE of the program. IMO, buying the program but not using those components would big a big waste of time and money. You can do the memory work and buy the book selections without buying the program.

I haven't used the program but I have emailed with Tanya at MP about it. Math/phonics/handwriting are the CORE of the program. IMO' date=' buying the program but not using those components would big a big waste of time and money. You can do the memory work and buy the book selections without buying the program.[/quote']

I would agree with this. I don't know if it'd be worth it $$ wise. Okay, I keep retyping my opinion and it keeps changing as I think more on the program--we only made it through week 7 before breaking for summer and that was in May, so I forgot a lot of what we were doing.;)

The other stuff would be memory work of random helpful things, weekly Bible verse memory (I would suggest the copybook because I think it's doable and helpful--it's just the weekly memory verse), then there are weekly art, music, poetry, literature, science, and social studies? lessons that I think are nice. If you don't have a plan to cover there things, then this is a pretty easy way to address them.

But you should realize that the bulk of this program--the main focus--is on the 3 Rs, and by buying it with the intention of NOT doing them, you are only buying it for a very small portion of the program.

We are in week 4 of Memoria Press K. So far I've tweaked just a little. . The handwriting is a no go as written. I've got a perfectionist on my hands so handwriting is done on a white board or chalkboard using the hwt program. We haven't even used the composition/sketch book because he doesn't want to draw pictures in a book. :)

We are enjoying the nature reader and check out a few supporting books at the library on each animal. We know a lot about manatees, alligators and snakes.

We also love the literature, art and music choices. All can be found at the library or on the internet.

Phonics is going well exactly as written, and math so far has been easy.

Memory Work- There is a lot of it and shockingly he's doing ok with most of it. We practice several times a day:

during class

on the swings

on the trampoline

in the pool

He really enjoys reciting along with the older kids.

So far so good.

I also own saxon math k and I pull that out a couple days a week. I think you could just buy the MP K manual and then use your own phonics and math. Honestly the memory work and enrichment would be worth $30 to me.

HTH

Jen

Thank you to all who have replied this morning! :)

I know that at first blush it seems ridiculous to consider the program without the core elements of phonics, handwriting, and math.

However, I am not considering buying the entire kindergarten curriculum - probably just the teacher's manual. I was thinking that for $30 I really couldn't go too far wrong just getting the teacher's manual for all the other subjects. In theory, I would be ending up with a very well rounded kindergarten year.

I am also open to buying a few other individual resources. Lisamarie, you said you liked the copybook - that's a possibility. And Jen, you said you are enjoying the nature reader.

Jen . . . it sounds like the program is going very well, overall. We are completing the HWT Pre-K book now, and I want to keep going with that. Especially with a young kindergartener! The memory work sounds like a lot. Do you feel like it's almost taking over your day . . . something you really have to stay on top of? Or very manageable?

I started it back in April with my 4 yr old--she just turned 5 2 weeks ago. She did really well with the memory work. I don't think it's too much. It does take her longer to memorize it than my 6.5 yr old DS, but she gets it eventually. I do a lot of the work while doing other things--ex. in the car I have an old cell phone for playing with, I'll ask her to dial our number. As we're on our way home, I'll ask her where we live. I do the initial memory work during school time, but the real learning I do while we're doing other things. The copy book is only 1 page of writing and 1 page to draw a week--they trace or write the verse, you proofread it together and they make the corrections, they draw a picture to go with the verse, you discuss any words they don't know. If you aren't doing the reading part, it's really very little copywork.

For us the overwhelming writing part comes in when you are combining copywork with their phonics/reading book writing and with the math writing. I don't usually do it all as written because my DD protests. I try to stick with 1-2 pages of writing a day and I often won't make her do certain math worksheets if she can already write the number we're working on.

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread again for any new insights. I am a Sonlight lover, but am still floundering with other things. I know it sounds crazy (at least to me), but I am considering purchasing this to use until early next year when we get SL K. Right now, we are finished with P4/5, and I love something that is laid out, not piecing things together. I am hoping to combine MP K with SL K. Any ideas? I would use MP K solely until January, then add the SL K core.

• 4 months later...

I have begun with my dd. She will be five in March. She likes things in order, and done the same way, day after day. She is showing a bit of an artsy tendency but so far we LOVE Memoria Press! She loves the books, and though I did find the literature to be light (even with the supplements), I had already planned to continue with SL so that has not been an issue here. If you'd like something more specific, just ask. I do know there are a few people that are still using it but some hesitate to respond because they may only be using parts of the program. We use it in its entirety and use SL Core K in its entirety as well. We supplement the math with Abeka K and Singapore EB, only because I already had those books and dd asks for "more school." When she asks and we are done with that day, I let her work on those or the R&S Preschool books we still have.

Anyway, if you have specific questions, ask away!

We jumped ship because it didn't work for my DD. Well, let me rephrase that. Right Start Reading was a bad fit for her because it is not just reading (it includes handwriting along with reading) and it was just too cluttered for her. I pulled out The Reading Lesson and DD is really doing well with it. As for the rest of it, we are still using R&S math and the readers which my DD does like. That's about it for MP. I may pull it out in the summer and go through the enrichment parts of it, but we'll see.

I think MP would work well for the right sort of child which my DD is not.