Menu

Memoria Press Kindergarten - has anybody gotten a good look at this yet?

LynnG in Arizona

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is brand new so no one would have used it yet (unless they ran a beta or trial program?) I ordered it for my ds who will be 5 in a couple months. The first shipment is set for later this week. They are also going to offer a set of consumable workbooks in case you have more than one child using the program. (I am considering combining ds and dd who just turned 6 last month.)

~Melissa

It is brand new so no one would have used it yet (unless they ran a beta or trial program?) I ordered it for my ds who will be 5 in a couple months. The first shipment is set for later this week. They are also going to offer a set of consumable workbooks in case you have more than one child using the program. (I am considering combining ds and dd who just turned 6 last month.)

~Melissa

Thanks, Melissa. I do vaguely recall hearing someone had used the Beta version of the Memoria Kindergarten program . . . unless I am thinking of something else, entirely possible. :)

I would love to hear back from you once you've had the chance to examine the materials. What made you decide to take the plunge, if I can ask?

This does look really nice and the introductory price is actually not bad. It you add up everything individually it would be a lot more. I wish you could order more of the parts individually as I'd like to use some but not all of it. I need to give this more thought. It's almost tempting. :)

Thanks, Melissa. I do vaguely recall hearing someone had used the Beta version of the Memoria Kindergarten program . . . unless I am thinking of something else, entirely possible. :)

I would love to hear back from you once you've had the chance to examine the materials. What made you decide to take the plunge, if I can ask?

I have always liked the Memoria Press materials and refer quite often to the Highlands Latin School website for structure. I've never done a program for kindergarten, but I have realized that I never seem to find time for my ds as far as doing educational things. Being the youngest, he feels left out when all of his sisters are doing school and I tend to leave him to himself. I bought him workbooks for this year and he enjoys doing them, but I wanted something structured and pulled together because I don't have many actual kindergarten materials and if I have a solid schedule I will be more likely to work it into our day. :)

This does look really nice and the introductory price is actually not bad. It you add up everything individually it would be a lot more. I wish you could order more of the parts individually as I'd like to use some but not all of it. I need to give this more thought. It's almost tempting. :)

I think they might be willing to work with the parent, as to what is needed. I believe someone asked on their message boards whether they could order the program without the math portion and the answer was yes. If you are interested I would call Memoria Press and speak with Tanya. She is in charge of the kindergarten program and was very helpful when I had a bunch of questions about the program.

I bought him workbooks for this year and he enjoys doing them, but I wanted something structured and pulled together because I don't have many actual kindergarten materials and if I have a solid schedule I will be more likely to work it into our day. :)

This is totally me. I am an "experienced" homeschooler at this point, but am such a researcher and planner that it actually becomes counterproductive in many ways. The idea of daily lesson plans is extremely appealing to me. The trick - for me - will be not to tweak and substitute until the program (whichever one it is) becomes unrecognizable. ;)

Please check back with us when you get the materials, if you would. :)

Hi! I think MP's' Kindergarten program looks great. In fact, I already own many of the pieces - Golden Children's Bible, CL Nature Readers, American Language Readers (there are three more - maybe they are saving them for a first grade program?). I think it would come down to if you already have a particular method or program you like for teaching reading or if you like theirs.

It seems like that's the issue with many K programs (MFW comes to mind). Some people love them, some people struggle with whether or not the reading part works for their dc.

I think they might be willing to work with the parent, as to what is needed. I believe someone asked on their message boards whether they could order the program without the math portion and the answer was yes. If you are interested I would call Memoria Press and speak with Tanya. She is in charge of the kindergarten program and was very helpful when I had a bunch of questions about the program.

Thanks, I might just call her. I think I'd really just like the phonics/reading materials because I like the other things we are using.

Let us know if you find out more.....

I spoke with Tanya this morning, who was very sweet! She said that yes I could buy individual pieces, but that they couldn't offer a discount on the individual parts. I am specifically looking at buying just the phonics and when we added up the cost of just the phonics & readers the price was almost as much as the discounted price of the whole kit. She suggested buying the kit and selling off the pieces I don't need. She said everything is resellable, even the curriculum guide, as long as you don't copy it TO sell.

The discounted price will be available through late spring and they will be coming out with a 1st and 2nd grade kit sometime soon ( I think she said late summer). Also wanted to add that some of the items from the k kit will be used in 1st grade.

HTH someone else!

Edited by Quiver0f10

hmmm, I wonder what will be in teh 1st grade bundle? THis K bundle looks like it would be good to do with my ds for grade 1 next year given his level. I wonder what the gr 1 would look like.

I was thinking of using it for k and 1st at half pace. I'm pretty sure my 4yo is going to need a slower pace (he turns 5 Aug 6), but I still want to use high quality materials. You know?

This does look nice. I would like to hear what you all think about it when you get it. Also, if you have the reading portion, what do you think about it?

I may consider this for my daughter. I think it will be between this and My Father's World. The Memoria Press kit looks really good but I would like to add a few hands on things but not too many, YKWIM?

:hurray:Mine just arrived today. I wish I had this for my older two when they were in K. This is everything I have ever wanted in a kindergarten program. I'm so excited to start. The first few weeks will be review but will quickly catch up to where we are at. I love all the practice.

:hurray:Mine just arrived today. I wish I had this for my older two when they were in K. This is everything I have ever wanted in a kindergarten program. I'm so excited to start. The first few weeks will be review but will quickly catch up to where we are at. I love all the practice.

Where does it start? Does it cover letter sounds?

Thanks!

Can you please give us all details? Pretty please? ;)

Ok, so the sample on the website shows what every week is like. In the beginning of the TM it shows you how to deal with literature, music, art study, nature study and recitation. These are just the few pages before the day to day starts. I like that the book is not big so not cumbersome to tote around, just a small coil=bound book. It suggests a 4 hour morning and has a sample schedule. The first thing on the daily list is recitation. There is a schedule in the back as to what you recite each week. A sample would be vowels, where you live, counting by 10 etc. The next thing is phonics. This goes by letter but gets them reading within the first couple of weeks. It also adds in end marks and sight words. So week 1 is "m' color m words, draw pictures of something that starts with m, write M's. You do work with M that whole week in various books. Week2 is the letter "a" as well learning " I am" . So by week 4 they are reading "I am a man" and writing this as well. So you don't learn all the sounds first just a few at a time and read, read, read and write. Next is math and you will only go through half R&S math 1 and the other half in grade 1 program. Math is this and counting with numbers and getting on eagerly all at different times during the week so it is broken up. Next is copybook and a bible story. Then memory which is a verse from the copybook. Last is literature and enrichment. There is one story per week kind of like five in a row. There is one piece of classical music to listen to and one famous artwork to study. Here there is also 2 poems per week. THere is one SS activity and one science activity for the week. This also includes a craft. The SS and Science relates to any of the literature, artwork or poem fo the week.. For instance week 5 you would draw your favorite season and relate it to the art for the week picture "red popppy" and has instruction. for science talk about your habitat and talk about climate,terrain,seasons, animals and plants. Thenit asks how the mice in the literature for the week was affected by their habitat.

Well, I hope I was thorough enough;) Feel free to ask anymore questions, this program is really amazing and simple.

Ok, so the sample on the website shows what every week is like. In the beginning of the TM it shows you how to deal with literature, music, art study, nature study and recitation. These are just the few pages before the day to day starts. I like that the book is not big so not cumbersome to tote around, just a small coil=bound book. It suggests a 4 hour morning and has a sample schedule. The first thing on the daily list is recitation. There is a schedule in the back as to what you recite each week. A sample would be vowels, where you live, counting by 10 etc. The next thing is phonics. This goes by letter but gets them reading within the first couple of weeks. It also adds in end marks and sight words. So week 1 is "m' color m words, draw pictures of something that starts with m, write M's. You do work with M that whole week in various books. Week2 is the letter "a" as well learning " I am" . So by week 4 they are reading "I am a man" and writing this as well. So you don't learn all the sounds first just a few at a time and read, read, read and write. Next is math and you will only go through half R&S math 1 and the other half in grade 1 program. Math is this and counting with numbers and getting on eagerly all at different times during the week so it is broken up. Next is copybook and a bible story. Then memory which is a verse from the copybook. Last is literature and enrichment. There is one story per week kind of like five in a row. There is one piece of classical music to listen to and one famous artwork to study. Here there is also 2 poems per week. THere is one SS activity and one science activity for the week. This also includes a craft. The SS and Science relates to any of the literature, artwork or poem fo the week.. For instance week 5 you would draw your favorite season and relate it to the art for the week picture "red popppy" and has instruction. for science talk about your habitat and talk about climate,terrain,seasons, animals and plants. Thenit asks how the mice in the literature for the week was affected by their habitat.

Well, I hope I was thorough enough;) Feel free to ask anymore questions, this program is really amazing and simple.

Thank you!

bumping . . . anybody? :)

Seen it and am thrilled to see that they are using some of the old Horizons readers for it, though a tad disappointed they aren't implementing the full program they go with (American Language Series). It looks like they wrote their own, which I haven't seen yet, but since they found the readers, I am wondering if it is similar. I would love to look it over more closely.

WOW! It does sound like they are following the way ALS is set up!! YEAY! Funny - we use R&S math 1 for K too....so this is actually really similar to how we do K but without all the other stuff (I usually just add in library books)...

The program sounds fantastic!

MominBC, thanks so much for taking the time to share with us! :)

I have a couple follow up questions:

1. Where do the additional readers (similar to Five in a Row) come from? Are they library books you need to check out? Can you give us a couple sample titles?

2. Where do the poems come from - are they written out right in the schedule, or in an appendix?

3. I suppose the music selection is something you track down on your own, right? How about the art selection?

4. Is there anything that you are adding to the program? Any type of tweaking?

5. Have you had a chance to start the program yet, or is this something you'll be doing in the fall?

6. Based on what you've seen so far, do you think this might be best for a typical "older" kindergartener? As opposed to a 4 year old? I ask because it seems like there is a good amount of writing in the program.

7. What's your favorite part of the program so far, from what you've seen? Is there anything you don't care for?

I appreciate you helping us out so much! :) Our convention in Hawaii is very small and limited, and I only rarely see Memoria Press products there. So I probably won't get to see their K program before purchasing! ;)

I just answered some of my own questions by going onto the Memoria Press website. ;) (This is new information recently posted within the past day or two.)

Memoria Press is planning to sell a packet of all the supplemental story books listed in the Kindergarten curriculum. It will be $275, $310 if the poetry book is included. They acknowledge that this will be quite expensive for most families, and anticipate many families will get the books from their library. It sounds like they are just providing an option for those who want to purchase the books.

:)

MominBC, thanks so much for taking the time to share with us! :)

I have a couple follow up questions:

1. Where do the additional readers (similar to Five in a Row) come from? Are they library books you need to check out? Can you give us a couple sample titles?
  2. Where do the poems come from - are they written out right in the schedule, or in an appendix?
  3. I suppose the music selection is something you track down on your own, right? How about the art selection?
  4. Is there anything that you are adding to the program? Any type of tweaking?
  5. Have you had a chance to start the program yet, or is this something you'll be doing in the fall?
  6. Based on what you've seen so far, do you think this might be best for a typical "older" kindergartener? As opposed to a 4 year old? I ask because it seems like there is a good amount of writing in the program.
  7. What's your favorite part of the program so far, from what you've seen? Is there anything you don't care for?

I appreciate you helping us out so much! :) Our convention in Hawaii is very small and limited, and I only rarely see Memoria Press products there. So I probably won't get to see their K program before purchasing! ;)

I saw your last post:001_smile: that you looked at the sample so I will answer your other questions.

2. Some of the poems are in the appendix(the ones not copyrighted), the others are in the recommended poetry books (there are 2) but they said they are quite familiar poems so you could find them other places or choose your own, they just want to encourage regular poetry reading.

3. Music and art are to be found online. However I would love to see an art card pack in the future and maybe a CD of the music selections..that would be a wonderful bonus.;)

4. I really don't think there is tweaking necessary in my opinion. It is so open-ended and thorough with such great suggestions that you could go further with the suggestions. They also say on a busy week you could eliminate the SS and Science suggestions and keep to the basics. I love that.

5. Just started. My son is half way through K and was doing McRuffy wasn't happy with the sequence, this program is exactly what we were needing and so much great practice.

6. The program really stresses teaching a child to write properly and there is quite a bit of drawing as well, so for motor skills I think an older K would be better, however if a 4 year old learned the basic letter sounds and even was just starting to put short vowel words together and started this program, it wouldn't be too easy. That's where my DS is and some will be review but they learn sight words as well all along and so much practice right away that he is not bored at all. Even the math is review at first but it will new fairly soon.

7. I really love everything. I have searched K programs for years having completed it twice with my older 2 and now having searched for my DS I was frustrated. This is everything I have wanted. Simple (having a busy toddler), challenging enough, beautiful literature, art , music , nature, crafts...but no pressure to do everything. The only thing i would like would be the CD and art cards, then it would be perfect;) If you like classical education, routine but gentle and flexibility, this is it in my opinion. :)

I saw your last post:001_smile: that you looked at the sample so I will answer your other questions.

2. Some of the poems are in the appendix(the ones not copyrighted), the others are in the recommended poetry books (there are 2) but they said they are quite familiar poems so you could find them other places or choose your own, they just want to encourage regular poetry reading.

3. Music and art are to be found online. However I would love to see an art card pack in the future and maybe a CD of the music selections..that would be a wonderful bonus.;)

4. I really don't think there is tweaking necessary in my opinion. It is so open-ended and thorough with such great suggestions that you could go further with the suggestions. They also say on a busy week you could eliminate the SS and Science suggestions and keep to the basics. I love that.

5. Just started. My son is half way through K and was doing McRuffy wasn't happy with the sequence, this program is exactly what we were needing and so much great practice.

6. The program really stresses teaching a child to write properly and there is quite a bit of drawing as well, so for motor skills I think an older K would be better, however if a 4 year old learned the basic letter sounds and even was just starting to put short vowel words together and started this program, it wouldn't be too easy. That's where my DS is and some will be review but they learn sight words as well all along and so much practice right away that he is not bored at all. Even the math is review at first but it will new fairly soon.

7. I really love everything. I have searched K programs for years having completed it twice with my older 2 and now having searched for my DS I was frustrated. This is everything I have wanted. Simple (having a busy toddler), challenging enough, beautiful literature, art , music , nature, crafts...but no pressure to do everything. The only thing i would like would be the CD and art cards, then it would be perfect;) If you like classical education, routine but gentle and flexibility, this is it in my opinion. :)

Thanks a million!

I had your same thought about art cards and a music CD. Great minds think alike! ;)

My daughter just turned 4. She can write some letters and her first name, though they look like a 4 year old wrote. them. ;) She also knows her letter sounds and is beginning to try to sound out simple words on her own, thanks to Starfall.

Do you think this would work for her as long as I go in with the knowledge that I may need to slow it down at times?

The price is really great right now so even if you got it and thought it was a bit too advanced it would only be a few months before your dd would be ready so I would try it. HTH :)

Thanks for the reply. I do have another question. In a previous post you mentioned the readalouds and sort of a Five in a Row style. I did see on the sample week where it was suggested reading it once a day. You also mentioned crafts. Did see the one listed on the sample but would mind giving me some examples of at least 2-3 other crafts? I like just a bit of hands on stuff and this seems like what they suggest. I don't love curriculum that is overly hands on.

Also, if you don't start this at a traditional school year start time, do you think it will be difficult to rearrange the literature books so you're not reading about Christmas in the spring, etc.? Will the literature choice affect any other part of the program?

Do you plan to buy the book package? That is a great price for all of those but I'm not sure I will spring for that.

Edited by Angel in FL
adding another question

Thanks for the reply. I do have another question. In a previous post you mentioned the readalouds and sort of a Five in a Row style. I did see on the sample week where it was suggested reading it once a day. You also mentioned crafts. Did see the one listed on the sample but would mind giving me some examples of at least 2-3 other crafts? I like just a bit of hands on stuff and this seems like what they suggest. I don't love curriculum that is overly hands on.

Also, if you don't start this at a traditional school year start time, do you think it will be difficult to rearrange the literature books so you're not reading about Christmas in the spring, etc.? Will the literature choice affect any other part of the program?

Do you plan to buy the book package? That is a great price for all of those but I'm not sure I will spring for that.

It is similiar to five in a row but not as involved. You read the book for a week and there will be an activity some weeks that relate to the book. As for the crafts, they are not every week and they are optional. The range from drawing a picture using springtime colors to making an ant out of egg carton having 3 parts and using pipe cleaners as legs and antennae. There are a few craft templates in the back. I think you could adjust the literature portions around easily. The book package is an excellent savings but not affordable. All the books are available at the library so I think I will go that route.:)

It is similiar to five in a row but not as involved. You read the book for a week and there will be an activity some weeks that relate to the book. As for the crafts, they are not every week and they are optional. The range from drawing a picture using springtime colors to making an ant out of egg carton having 3 parts and using pipe cleaners as legs and antennae. There are a few craft templates in the back. I think you could adjust the literature portions around easily. The book package is an excellent savings but not affordable. All the books are available at the library so I think I will go that route.:)

Thanks again for the information. That is just what I was hoping to hear, not too involved but crafty things if you choose to do them. :D

I am wondering if there is a scope of the reading somewhere. I'm looking at it for my DD but I want to know where she would end up in reading skills if we followed the program.

Post this question on the Memoria Press Forums. Tanya will respond. Also on the website it says that after completing the phonics program students are ready to read real storybooks like Frog and Toad.

Hi MominBC!!

O.K. Yahoo that you have Memoria Press kindergarten!!!! My K'er is 5.5 (6 in May) and reading cvc words well and just getting ready to move to the next level of phonics instruction (I guess that would be long vowel sounds?). I, like you, have been sad about my pathetic plans for kindergarten (for both of my boys) and when I read the MP plan I was beside myself with joy!!!!!!!!!!!! This was after reading Latin Centered Curriculum but that is another discussion altogether . . . . (happy happy)

My question for you is: Do you think a K'er jumping in mid school year would be challenged and blessed by the MP K plan? I realize it's still new for you so your experience with the curriculum is very limited. I don't want to do something that is too easy but he needs something more consistent and "special" at this point. What are you going to do for first grade? Just see the MP plan for K through to the end and move up to first grade mid-school year next year?

If my questions don't make sense please ask. :lol: Thanks for sharing.

If you start this mid-year, will there be problems with holidays and seasons not matching up correctly? I noticed and Easter book, The Twelve Days of Christmas, The Night Before Christmas, etc. in the book list. I just purchased it and can't wait for it to arrive. I just wish they had 5th and 6th grade already.

If you start this mid-year, will there be problems with holidays and seasons not matching up correctly? I noticed and Easter book, The Twelve Days of Christmas, The Night Before Christmas, etc. in the book list. I just purchased it and can't wait for it to arrive. I just wish they had 5th and 6th grade already.

:iagree: My dd will be in 3rd next year, and I wish they had 3rd ready! (I've looked at Highlands Latin that they're basing the program on and will likely follow some of what they do, and I'm going to shoot an email to Tanya over at the MP boards for suggestions.) I just ordered K for my ds5 and we will be starting it as soon as it gets here! Looking at the sample teacher's guide, I don't think it will be too difficult to switch the literature and the activities that go with them around to match the seasons...we'll see though when it gets here!

We school lightly through the summer, so we'll just keep going through the K and jump into the 1st grade when we get there!

:iagree: My dd will be in 3rd next year, and I wish they had 3rd ready! (I've looked at Highlands Latin that they're basing the program on and will likely follow some of what they do, and I'm going to shoot an email to Tanya over at the MP boards for suggestions.) I just ordered K for my ds5 and we will be starting it as soon as it gets here! Looking at the sample teacher's guide, I don't think it will be too difficult to switch the literature and the activities that go with them around to match the seasons...we'll see though when it gets here!

We school lightly through the summer, so we'll just keep going through the K and jump into the 1st grade when we get there!

That's a good idea. I should email her, as well. Maybe I'll jump in on your thread when you post;)

MominBC - or anybody else who has gotten this and used it, or at least looked through the program -

Is it really going to take 4 hours a day to complete? I think I saw that time estimate on the Memoria Press forum.

I've gone through the sample schedule of Week 1, and I'm not sure I can picture all that taking 4 hours daily. But I could easily be wrong! :)

Guest aquiverfull

Those of you who have used it or seen it, what do you think of the phonics portion? I'm going to be looking for something for my little ones for phonics soon.