Menu

Mystery of History vs SOTW

luvbnhome2

I think they are both good programs. I am using MOH 1 and I love it. It has a similar story telling approach to SOTW but broken into daily lessons with activities, and more of a focus on how God reveals His plan through history. We have tweaked it and do notebooking with it rather than the suggested note cards and activities -- usually one page per lesson.

Caveat: this is just based on the first volume of MOH, I haven't used 2 or 3 yet or checked out the SOTW activity book. Also I haven't looked at SOTW in many years so my memory may be fuzzy.

There is a yahoo group for each level of MOH (here's level 1) where you can ask questions, view some notebooking page options, etc.

I prefer SOTW for younger kids and MOH for middle ages. I used MOH 1 and 2 for my oldest before putting him in school. I thought it was a great program and will use it again next year for my second child. Some people don't like the writing style. It didn't bother me, though. I like that it has constant review of previously studied material and that Bible history is integrated. We didn't always do the activities, but I'm not a real big fan of activities in general. There is a MOH yahoo board you can check, and if you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

I never see Mystery of History discussed on here and wonder if anyone uses it. I am trying to nail down world history and would love some opinions on this. Thanks!!!

I am going to cut and paste a review I posted elsewhere:

MOH teaches history from a Biblical perspective, as if the Bible is fact. Volume 1 of MOH is heavy on Biblical history and volume 2 is heavy on church history. Though if you lived during the middle ages the church was the place everyone went to gather, so church was ingrained into the politics and social life of the time. To me trying to remove the Church from the middle ages is like trying to study the current war on Terror without discussing religion. ;)

SOTW includes religious or moral tales from all the major civilizations covered. Because the story of Abraham is the root of three different major religions it is included, though it states that Abraham worshiped a moon god before being called. That is not stated in the Bible, but what they think is UR has been found and there a moon god was worshiped there, so she makes the logical leap. This in one of the places she gets into trouble with some Christians. Another place is where she states that Alexander the Great's empire was divided up into 3 regions instead of the Biblical 4, which she does to simplify it for younger kids. I believe it is generally accepted that it was divided into 4 and that one of the generals quickly overtook his sons portion, probably killing his son, which is why there is no archeological evidence for 4 division, just 3. Those are the only two glaring issues I found in volume 1, as long as you are fine with the religions content from other belief systems.

Try looking at the chapter titles at Paula's Archives and you can get a feel for both.

Now let me discuss layout.

MOH is designed to be taught over 4 days. It has three lessons, with each lesson having an activity (there are three levels of activities, from easy for little kids to more involved projects to papers and such for older students) intended to be done over three days. Then it has prompts for mapping, timeline work, a comprehension quiz and prompts for a 3x5 memory card system intended to be done on the 4th day. Though as with any program you can modify the schedule to fit your needs. For example someone with younger children who wanted to take longer might do the lesson one day, and the activity the next. The appendix has a book list broken down by level (this can be viewed at the yahoo group in the files) and the yahoo group files include schedules for adding a variety other texts/programs. Now MOH also has a full LA program you can buy that was written to go with it, called Illuminations. You can also buy coloring pages, craft packages, and lapbooks that go with MOH.

SOTW is a chapter book with text. You can purchase the Activity guide (I highly recommend it), which has a lot of additional material. It is up to you what pieces to use and which to ignore, but here are the pieces it includes: a schedule so you can read any of the 4 most popular visual encyclopedias, comprehension questions, narrations prompts, additional history readings (often activity guides, or cultural books), corresponding literature suggestions (historical fiction or literature from the time), map work, coloring pages, projects (these are usually involved about the middle level of MOH activities), review cards. It will also include activities like crossword puzzles and games, but these are not consistently done for each chapter.

Most the people I know cover a chapter of SOTW a week, though if you want to finish it in a year you will have to cover two chapters some weeks, then they pick what else they want to do from the Activity Guide for the rest of the week.

It is also important to realize that the volume and content of MOH changes. After Linda finished volume 1 people asked for volume 2 to be more challenging, so while you can use volume 1 with younger children, it is more challenging to do so with volume 2 and even more so with volume 3. In volume 2 Linda is good about warning about content, but I haven't read volume 3 yet to be sure there (though I do own it). Volume 3 changed quite a big because most people who hold printing rights to the art they wanted to use require you print it in color, so volume 3 has a hardback color text, and then a companion guide with all the printable material, and an extensive booklist (the publisher paid to have a couple hs moms to research it). It is still up in the air whether volume 4 will be like volume 1 and 2, or like 3.

Other things to consider: Volume 4 is about half way written, so it will be a while before it is available. It could take three years as it is going to be the largest volume yet, and will take longer to publish as well because of the additional volume. It is also undecided if they will ever redo volume 1 and 2 to be like volume 3, which a lot of people like, but adds to the cost of the program. Linda publishes the audio version herself. Right now 1 and 2 are available, but it might be a while before the audio for volume 3 is out as she needs to focus on writing volume 4.

Ok so I added more to the review. Once I get started it is hard to stop. :D

Heather

Edited by siloam

I prefer SOTW for younger kids and MOH for middle ages

I agree. We used SOTW for early elementary and MOH for later elementary/early JH. MOH is one of my favorite programs. It works well in the later years, too, because one can easily skip activities or tweak activities to work with another course (writing, literature).

I did MOH 2 last year with a 6 yo (1st)and an 8.5 yo (3rd), it was great. MOH2 is definitely a step up---in August and Sept, I did the first 18 lessons for my now 9yo (almost 10-4th grade) but it was too much for my 7yo (2nd). I set it aside and tried something else (HOD), in the hopes of meeting my daughter on a lower level. Long story short, we aren't continuing with that. I am likely going back to MOH2.

Do you think MOH 3 would be OK for a 10 or 11 yo (5th grade)? How about for his sister..then she would be 8 (3rd grade).

I started SOTW 2 last week, we read today about Muhammed and Islam...I didn't like the very neutral way she handled the content (being a conservative Christian)...I wanted a Christian slant, discussing why the world is the way it is now, terrorism, etc.

I remembered why I have started SOTW several times and then quickly set it aside. I really want the Christian perspective / worldview imparted into it. This is not a criticism of SOTW, it is excellent, but I would say it is neutral, where MOH is unabashedly Christian.

Sigh...

so back to looking at MOH again! I seem to keep coming back to that!

I'm currently using MOH as my primary history, with SOTW on the side (I'm skipping parts I don't want to use, etc.). :001_smile: Then I'm throwing in all sorts of other books/movies/etc.

I'm only 2 weeks into it, but I like it. The lessons are fairly short and Otter thinks they are interesting.

I chose MOH because I wanted to do history chronologically and I also wanted to cover history from a Biblical perspective.

I never did quite learn how events in the Bible mesh with other events and cultures in history.

I made a schedule, but I haven't posted it on my site yet. I want to finish using it with Otter before I post it.

Jenn, I look forward to your schedule. I had done one for my oldest, but it was lost in the mail (long story) and now I have to redo it for ds#2. I'd love to see how you schedule it all out and what books you use to supplement. I've gotten lots of great ideas from your blog for American history study this year. Please post here when you get your schedule up!

Wow!! Ask and you guys can certainly deliver!! Thank you so much for all of your info! I like that idea of using both programs together~my daughters are 8 and 12, so I will need some beef for 12 yr old. Does anyone know if MOH could be appropriate for high school with modification? My 12 yr old dd is in 7th grade so we only have a year and a half before high school begins! Yikes!! I am not worried about it being over my 8 yr old's head~she often gets things that my 12 yr old does not!! Thank you all!!!

Wow!! Ask and you guys can certainly deliver!! Thank you so much for all of your info! I like that idea of using both programs together~my daughters are 8 and 12, so I will need some beef for 12 yr old. Does anyone know if MOH could be appropriate for high school with modification? My 12 yr old dd is in 7th grade so we only have a year and a half before high school begins! Yikes!! I am not worried about it being over my 8 yr old's head~she often gets things that my 12 yr old does not!! Thank you all!!!

Yes there are people who do, and a yahoo group where they discuss it, and files of what books they used with MOH. :D

The Publisher has hsed and graduated 2 children and she used the early volumes of MOH with both-she is a wealth of information (Her name is Maggie). Also if you use the Illuminations package they have full literature guides on several of the books (not all some are just to enjoy reading) that include vocab, literature analysis and discussion questions.

Heather

Because the story of Abraham is the root of three different major religions it is included, though it states that Abraham worshiped a moon god before being called. That is not stated in the Bible, but what they think is UR has been found and there a moon god was worshiped there, so she makes the logical leap. This in one of the places she gets into trouble with some Christians. Another place is where she states that Alexander the Great's empire was divided up into 3 regions instead of the Biblical 4, which she does to simplify it for younger kids.

Susan also has a scripture that says "Your forefathers came from accross the river where they used to worship other Gods." So it is her interpetation of "they" that is in question. Considering that Shem was alive during part of Abraham's life, I don't believe "they" applies to the forefathers spoken of, but rather the other people who lived across the river.

History of the Ancient World (written by Suan for high school) states that the empire was divided into 4, and then quickly became 3. I will look into the archaeology. I have doubts that it presents a problem.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

You might want to take a look at Biblioplan if you're thinking of combining the two :).

Does MOH line up ancient history with Biblical events on the timeline? SOTW has the pyramids built before the flood, for example.

MOH is strictly chronological, which means it goes straight down the timeline. The advantage is you really see how one event might related to another, especially between different cultures. But you will cover the Greeks, go the the Phoneticians, then maybe the Romans and then back to the Greeks.

SOTW is chronological by civilization. That means it covers all of one civilization from start to finish on the timeline, then backs up and starts the next civilization and covers it from start to finish on the timeline. SOTW is also treating Biblical events more as cultural stories so it is not as concerned about the order. The order SOTW uses is often better for younger kids who can't make the logical cause and effect connections anyway (that is a logic age skill), and who remember people better when studied together, more like a community (all Greeks, all Romans, ect...).

Heather

What I meant to say is that SOTW is mostly chronological, and some people complain about it b/c they prefer to have it sequenced by civilization. So is MOH chronological as well, or were they mixed up when typed in?

And to make my question more plain: Does MOH give actual dates for all of the Biblical and other world history events?

If so, it may be worth it for me to go with WP for the middle grades.

What I meant to say is that SOTW is mostly chronological, and some people complain about it b/c they prefer to have it sequenced by civilization. So is MOH chronological as well, or were they mixed up when typed in?

And to make my question more plain: Does MOH give actual dates for all of the Biblical and other world history events?

If so, it may be worth it for me to go with WP for the middle grades.

MOH includes the dates, in fact the best way to see the dates and the order used it to just look over the TOC.

I don't remember SOTW being that disjointed, but I honestly don't really care. :smilielol5: I enjoy the audio's but I don't schedule them as part of our history, because they are an extra here and not a cornerstone I could very well not catch little inconsistencies.

Now realize that WP goes in and schedules MOH to be Chronological by Civilization. If you want to stick to a Chronological order, then you might want to look at the LA/Literature package that was written for MOH called Illuminations. I do own the IG for Quest for the Ancients, but haven't used it yet (I adore the variety of crafts in WP).

Heather

I started SOTW 2 last week, we read today about Muhammed and Islam...I didn't like the very neutral way she handled the content (being a conservative Christian)...I wanted a Christian slant, discussing why the world is the way it is now, terrorism, etc.

I remembered why I have started SOTW several times and then quickly set it aside. I really want the Christian perspective / worldview imparted into it. This is not a criticism of SOTW, it is excellent, but I would say it is neutral, where MOH is unabashedly Christian.

Sigh... so back to looking at MOH again! I seem to keep coming back to that!

This is precisely why I couldn't use SOTW! I love her writing style, but there's a voice in me that gently reminds me why I can't. (Again, I love SOTW and the AG is a gem, but it's a strong personal conviction.)

I just wish MOH wasn't so gigantic... that it was broken up into smaller books. That sounds so trivial, but there's just something cozy about that when you're curled up on the couch.

MOH is written with the author's opinion throughout and SOTW is written objectively. I think SOTW follows the same style as Child's History of the World. It's written conversationally, but the author's opinion is left out. I had a hard time using MOH. I want the Christian history woven within the history text, but I don't want the author's views on Christianity. KWIM?

HTH!

Dorinda

MOH includes the dates, in fact the best way to see the dates and the order used it to just look over the TOC.

I don't remember SOTW being that disjointed, but I honestly don't really care. :smilielol5: I enjoy the audio's but I don't schedule them as part of our history, because they are an extra here and not a cornerstone I could very well not catch little inconsistencies.

Now realize that WP goes in and schedules MOH to be Chronological by Civilization. If you want to stick to a Chronological order, then you might want to look at the LA/Literature package that was written for MOH called Illuminations. I do own the IG for Quest for the Ancients, but haven't used it yet (I adore the variety of crafts in WP).

Heather

Thanks. That helps a lot!

Is MOH as dry as it seems? SOTW seems to be much more entertaining which may hold the attention of my children better. I am making this assumption based on the sample chapter on MOH'S website. Again, thank y'all sooo much!!!

There is a different sample on the publisher's website (Bright Ideas Press) if you want to read more for yourself.

Personally I don't find it dry and really enjoy her tone, and how she talks like she is sitting in the room talking to the child (it was written to be a reader). I know some people feel they are being talked down to, but I never felt that way. I find I am not that picky when it comes to books through, so maybe I am not the right person to ask. For example I adore The Lord of the Rings books, and have read them all and his biography long before they became popular, but I also like Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the III. It isn't great literature, is it even good literature? It is funny (especially the grandfather).

Heather

• 4 years later...

There is a different sample on the publisher's website (Bright Ideas Press) if you want to read more for yourself.

Personally I don't find it dry and really enjoy her tone, and how she talks like she is sitting in the room talking to the child (it was written to be a reader). I know some people feel they are being talked down to, but I never felt that way. I find I am not that picky when it comes to books through, so maybe I am not the right person to ask. For example I adore The Lord of the Rings books, and have read them all and his biography long before they became popular, but I also like Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the III. It isn't great literature, is it even good literature? It is funny (especially the grandfather).

Heather

My goodness, I went looking because I was wondering if I was the only one! I finally got a chance to look at a copy and while I like conversational styles sometimes, it seemed really simplistic.