Menu

What do you do when--

the people in your life aren't interested in listening?

I'm a very good listener--I ask questions-listen actively. I consciously work to not interrupt and to not rush past what the speaker is saying to get my message across.

I try and model active listening but just modeling doesn't seem to work.

Sometimes I interject to make them listen but--it's not the same. What ways have you found that helps the people in your life become a better listener to you?

edited to add---mostly this is with people close to me. Ironically, people not as close listen and seem to value my input and thoughts

Tell them, "Shut up and listen!" Really.

If I'm in a nicer mood (or not as frustrated) I will say, "I am going to vent. I need you to listen to me and not interrupt or offer suggestions or to tell me how much worse Aunt Mabel had it". . .

or "I am going to say some things that you may find helpful. I need you to listen. Do not argue with what I have to say. Do not make a snap judgment on whether it is helpful or not. Just listen!"

or "I'm only going to tell you this once. When I am done, I want you to tell back to me what I just said." (Narration doesn't just work during school time).

:bigear:

LOL Sometimes I just come here and yammer. I don't always know if you're reading or not, and since I can't tell or see your glassed-over eyes, I don't care. :lol:

Seriously, sometimes it's more about the right place and time. My dh will listen and talk about most anything, just not at 2am, when I am awake and he's asleep. Some people are not good listeners, ever, so you then got to find some new folks who are.

It depends who I'm talking to. Sometimes I say things like "May I finish my sentence?" These tend to be used on dh. Anyone else who matters at all would probably get a mini-lecture on having manners or if they are older, on how to "make friends and influence people." Then there are the times when I take pity on the poor person and say "You don't have to actually listen to this rant on homeschooling curriculum, just try to say uh-huh as if you are." That works sometimes. It works the other way too, when dh is talking about RPGs or computer programming.

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

the people in your life aren't interested in listening?

I'm a very good listener--I ask questions-listen actively. I consciously work to not interrupt and to not rush past what the speaker is saying to get my message across.

I try and model active listening but just modeling doesn't seem to work.

Sometimes I interject to make them listen but--it's not the same. What ways have you found that helps the people in your life become a better listener to you?

edited to add---mostly this is with people close to me. Ironically' date=' people not as close listen and seem to value my input and thoughts[/quote']

Huh?

Honestly? I find it easier to make friends with people who are good listeners than to try to get people to listen to me who aren't inclined to do so. Being self-absorbed is a character flaw, and I am not able to fix the character flaws in others. I will volunteer information and see if they are interested...but if someone is only interested in talking about herself, I have little patience for that. It doesn't mean I won't talk to them again, but I do cross them off the list of potential close friends.